Shelf materials and their acoustic properties

Best to avoid any material without self damping properties for the shelves. So no glass, granite or metal. Wood works best. Especially HDF or bamboo. Another good aesthetic option is acrylic, thick enough to support the load.

^^^ What about resonance? Each object has resonant frequencies, wood especially has in audible midrange - wont that affect the final sound being output from the entire chain?

^^^ What about resonance? Each object has resonant frequencies, wood especially has in audible midrange - wont that affect the final sound being output from the entire chain?
Iam no expert, but among the materials currently available wood seems to be the best compromise. Every material, depending on its design resonates, And it so happens that wood resonates in tandem with the plethora of instruments which are again made of wood. So it seems to be accepted as a pleasant addition. However, despite having a rack made of wood, I really cant hear any differences with its addition as ive always used isolators under most of my gear. Especially tube gear as its subject to microphony.

Besides, I should add that my hearing is not very good. So i struggle to hear differences that are readily apparent to most other folks. So i do a lot of stuff blind, in terms of eliminating commonly voiced issues and suspects such as cabling, power treatment and vibration .etc. I have addressed all the 3 and more in my room, But Iam not willing to bet my reputation that they have improved my sound. Ive only done that to eliminate the fear of missing out ( FOMO ). Somethings at some places have delivered very noticable results. But, I expect it will be very system dependent, so still cant endorse them outright.

I was listening to music and was being disturbed by carpenters and aluminium window makers doing their thing in the neighboring flat.
I objected to the noise made by the aluminium window guys because the resonant frequency of aluminium didn't "go" with my music.
I was happy with the racket caused by the carpenters when they worked. Why? Because, wood! :rolleyes:

How about most instruments (guitars, violins etc) being still made in wood?
You do realize that those instruments need hollow wooden enclosure for resonance. Not wood per se, but hollow enclosure (air drives majority of the resonance, wood only slight).
Wood in Electric guitars is a different story, more driven by marketing drivel and traditionalist who don't want to change anything from 1950s.

Acrylic
For me has been the most netral of materials

Followed by
MDF /HDF
Bamboo and then rubber wood

Hardwoods always seem to impart some signature

Additionally i have had the chance of doing lots of racks using CLD
Those are absolutely brilliant
But then they take effort and are not as cheap options as the single material options mentioned above

Acrylic
For me has been the most netral of materials

Followed by
MDF /HDF
Bamboo and then rubber wood

Hardwoods always seem to impart some signature

Additionally i have had the chance of doing lots of racks using CLD
Those are absolutely brilliant
But then they take effort and are not as cheap options as the single material options mentioned above
@magma, what are your views on plywood? Both Indian ply and Birch ply?

+1 for wood.
I used teak wood for my shelf and have been happy with it.

Metal frame + Acrylic shelves is another combination I like.
When going with metal use the most massive construction possible.
Wooden shelves is another very nice combination for this approach.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back