Should i get Optoma HD20 from the US?

venom

Guys, This is my first post/topic so please excuse my lack of finesse..

I have finally convinced my parents into getting an entry level projector. Now the Optoma HD20 in India costs 1.2 lakhs, Which is just obscene considering the cost abroad is below $1000!!

So the considering customs it still works out cheaper getting it from the US.

Now my dilemma is,
Which site do i use?

options are:
1 shopyourworld
2. 20north
3. borderlinx

Now, out of these i found shopyourworld to be the cheapest. I absolutely loath the borderlinx webpage... It's horrible to navigate through. 20north seems to be the most expensive.

I heard shopyourworld has an insurance policy but i don't know whether anyone has availed it.

20north has a lot of issues but i ordered a Sony BDP-S570 on sunday. Let's see when i get it. This was kind of like a trial run.

Now, which site do i use? Which is more reliable?

I'd not recommend any of the above considering that the projector is a very sensitive opto-electronic device.

The people who carry your shipment the last mile have absolutely NO CLUE what "FRAGILE" on the packaging means and may toss the parcel around as they please...

I recently has a bad experience importing headlights for my Tucson through ICCworld. Came with missing parts and the projector headlight optics completely out of alignment and a few clamps broken.

Lesson well learned and I'd never ever use such services for purchasing sensitive stuff.

I'd not recommend any of the above considering that the projector is a very sensitive opto-electronic device.

The people who carry your shipment the last mile have absolutely NO CLUE what "FRAGILE" on the packaging means and may toss the parcel around as they please...

I recently has a bad experience importing headlights for my Tucson through ICCworld. Came with missing parts and the projector headlight optics completely out of alignment and a few clamps broken.

Lesson well learned and I'd never ever use such services for purchasing sensitive stuff.

agreed... but what other choice do I have?

the price i'm getting it at is 50% of it's cost in India and that too including customs and shipping.

like I said before, I also ordered the Sony BDP-S570 from 20north as a special order on sunday. It's showing me a delivery time of 2-3 weeks!!! :sad::sad:

Why does 20north take so long if the others are offering the delivery in 12 days max?!

I hope 20north doesn't mess this up!!

One forum member bought Onkyo 5007 via borderlinx last week

And the price shown in amazon via shop your world is not including customs

The customs is added only when you check out

And known to me borderlinx is safe and even cheap

the price i'm getting it at is 50% of it's cost in India and that too including customs and shipping.

HD 20 is being quoted at around Rs. 65000 in grey market in Chennai. Just for your info.

Regds / Shailender

The ideal solution is to have someone carry it for you from US. Have read a lot of threads where fragile packing is of no use to these shippers and projectors are very sensitive equipments which need more attention.

This is my peice of info, I too have been stuck with this problem for the last 2 months and still trying to locate one of my friends to bring it along with them.

And ofcourse 65K in rupees is a nice bargain although it doesnt carry the warrenty etc, but still is worth a try than shipping from US.

One forum member bought Onkyo 5007 via borderlinx last week

And the price shown in amazon via shop your world is not including customs

The customs is added only when you check out

And known to me borderlinx is safe and even cheap

The final price at checkout is 65,408/-

Borderlinx seems to accept only Citi cards, right?

I'm going to use either HDFC or ICICI.

The ideal solution is to have someone carry it for you from US. Have read a lot of threads where fragile packing is of no use to these shippers and projectors are very sensitive equipments which need more attention.

This is my peice of info, I too have been stuck with this problem for the last 2 months and still trying to locate one of my friends to bring it along with them.

And ofcourse 65K in rupees is a nice bargain although it doesnt carry the warrenty etc, but still is worth a try than shipping from US.

I would agree that it's easier to get someone to bring it, but i don't have anyone in the US right now. My brother's friend is coming but she's coming in December and i don't want to wait that long!

I know it's a bargain but i can't find such deals in Nasik!! and i can't go all the way to Chennai!

I can try in Mumbai but I wouldn't know where to start!

Can anyone suggest where i can get it in Nasik or Mumbai?

I live in Muscat(Oman) and I got my HD20 thru a friend in US.He purchased the thing for abt 1100 USD (in shops they sell for 1000-1100 USD) and send it thru Fedex Int'l priority (takes only four days but charges are higher - abt 150USD I suppose) and the customs here charged me abt 5% duty (not sure abt the percentage but it was equivalent of 20 USD) and I got the package within four days and the OPTOMA packing itself is sturdy.They use plastic protection wrapping (tubular structure filled with Air) and its tightly wrapped and packed and the FEDEX people handle their shipping pretty neat.So I think its worth getting the thing from US.

Cost - 1100 USD
ship - 150 USD
Duty - 385 USD (approx 35%)

Total = 1635 USD (Rs.74,000)

This is still better than paying 1 or 1.2 Lacs

Some tyms the sellers can mark it as gift or quote a lower value and the duty will be less (not sure abt the procedure).

Cost - 1100 USD
ship - 150 USD
Duty - 385 USD (approx 35%)

Total = 1635 USD (Rs.74,000)

This is still better than paying 1 or 1.2 Lacs

Some tyms the sellers can mark it as gift or quote a lower value and the duty will be less (not sure abt the procedure).

Ask a Fake bill from seller to lower quote it

or ask your friend to declare it as used item and send it for friend and not for sale

But ask you friend to use it atleast 10 hours

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back