Shrieking/creaking Sound with DENON AVR-X2000 when playing from web and attached network storage

bikram_singh

Hi,

My name is Bikram and I am from Darbhanga, Bihar. With the help of this group, I made a home theatre in 2014. It had been working fine for quite many years, but due to some personal issues, I didn't step in my Home Theatre for more than 2 years, and afterwards, when I went there, I was welcomed by a weird problem. I am not sure how to explain it properly, but I will try to do it.

As I said, I am facing a weird issue with my Denon AVR-X2000 when playing content from the web (YouTube and all) and hard disk (attached network storage). When a video is played from the aforementioned sources, the AVR either does not produce sound or when it produces it, the sound is weird..like creaking. I am not sure what to call it. But when I play a sound from my connected Blu-ray player, the sound comes just nice. One issue I face here is this: when playing from a Blu-ray player, the sound produced is alright (as you can listen for yourself in the video linked below), but the sound stops coming altogether after 30-60 minutes or sometimes even earlier. I am not sure what kind of problem this is.

As this is hard to explain, I made a 2:29 minutes video that explains the problem I face. I have uploaded the video on YouTube and posting a link here Please help me solve this.

YouTube Link to the Video explaining my problem with Denon AVR-X2000

What are you using to play from hard disk, and YouTube ? Do you have a network player, or playing directly from yoru TV ?

You need to list all your components, and how they are connected.

What are you using to play from hard disk, and YouTube ? Do you have a network player, or playing directly from yoru TV ?

You need to list all your components, and how they are connected.
Any movie from the hard disk in MKV, MP4, AVI, or whatever format, and from the web I played it from YouTube. and the AVR is not connected to my TV but to my Projector.

I am listing down my equipment below, but before that, I'll like to add that these are the same equipment and setting I've been using since 2014 without any problem. This error is something new to me.

I've the following equipment:

Epson EH-TW6100
DENON AVR-X2000
Samsung Blu Ray Player BD-F6500
ASUS O'PLAY AIR
Polk Audio TSx 440T Tower Speaker
Polk Audio TSx 250C Center Channel Speaker
Polk Audio TS x 110B Bookshelf Speaker (for surround)
Polk Audio DSW PRO 550 woofer

I've also done a proper CAT 6 ( Schneider DIGILINK Solid Cable Cat 6) wiring to access content from my media server (currently I'm using 4TB Seagate Central, and a 4-Bay QNAP TS 453a NAS). My HT can also source content from a USB source, iPod, laptop, VGA source , and for that, I do not need to go near the AVR or PJ. I've installed one MX board on the wall near the seats to get this facility.

I've also installed an IR repeater to use the equipment from behind the closed cabinet doors. Cables (HDMI, 3.5 mm audio, USB 3, woofer) are from Mediabridge, and BlueRigger and monoprice component cable.

The cables I used are:

12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable (for the center, left and right channels)
Monoprice 12AWG CL2 Rated 4-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable (For surround speakers)
Monster M850 SW-12 M-Series 850 Subwoofer Cable
Monoprice 18AWG CL2 Premium 3-RCA Component RG6-U Video Coaxial Cable
Monoprice Super VGA M/M CL2 Rated (For In-Wall Installation) Cable w/ Ferrites
BlueRigger High-Speed HDMI Cable CL3 Rated for In-wall Installation - Supports 3D and Audio Return

Bikram,

Still not able to follow fully.

Are you playing MKV files (for example), using the ASUS Oplay Air ?

How is it connected to your AVR ? Via HDMI ?

You state :
My HT can also source content from a USB source, iPod, laptop, VGA source , and for that, I do not need to go near the AVR or PJ. I've installed one MX board on the wall near the seats to get this facility.

When you sya HT, which device in yoru HT isactually playing the files ?

Bikram,

Still not able to follow fully.

Are you playing MKV files (for example), using the ASUS Oplay Air ?

How is it connected to your AVR ? Via HDMI ?

You state :
My HT can also source content from a USB source, iPod, laptop, VGA source , and for that, I do not need to go near the AVR or PJ. I've installed one MX board on the wall near the seats to get this facility.

When you sya HT, which device in yoru HT isactually playing the files ?
I am playing MKV files and YouTube using the Smart feature on my Samsung Blu-ray player ( BD-F6500), which is hooked to my LAN. This is the same player I use to play Blu-ray disk.

The projector is connected with AVR through HDMI and speakers are connected to AVR using the cables mentioned above. I have attached 2 images to give you an idea of the set-up. When I say HT, I mean the physical room, home theater in the literal sense.

Attachments

• 2015-06-04 17.43.15.jpg
    2015-06-04 17.43.15.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 2015-06-04 17.43.05.jpg
    2015-06-04 17.43.05.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 15
Thanks. Understand the chain now.

Just to reconfirm :
- You have a Samsung Blu Ray Player BD-F6500 connected to your AVR
- When you play a BluRay disc or DVD on the player, the sound is fine
- But if you play a .mkv file from a USB or network drive, on the BluRay player, there is no sound

Is the understanding correct ? Please confirm.

Couple of thoughts :

1. Audio codec issue :
- The Denon X2000 is quite old (I think 2014). It may not be able to decode the latest audio codecs
- Pls check the audio codec of the .mkv files that you are playing (eg does it have Dolby Atmos, or AC3 or mp3)
- Pls check the settings of the BluRay player for playing video files from USB drives. Is the sound set to pass through ? Can you change the setting to stereo or 5.1 ?

2. BluRay player issue :
- Can you try playing the files using a different media player (eg Asus O'Player which you have)
- Connect that to your AVR and try playing

3. Worth trying :
- Change the HDMI cable from your BluRay player to yoru AVR
- Try a different HDMI input port on your AVR

Thanks. Understand the chain now.

Just to reconfirm :
- You have a Samsung Blu Ray Player BD-F6500 connected to your AVR
- When you play a BluRay disc or DVD on the player, the sound is fine
- But if you play a .mkv file from a USB or network drive, on the BluRay player, there is no sound

Is the understanding correct ? Please confirm.

Couple of thoughts :

1. Audio codec issue :
- The Denon X2000 is quite old (I think 2014). It may not be able to decode the latest audio codecs
- Pls check the audio codec of the .mkv files that you are playing (eg does it have Dolby Atmos, or AC3 or mp3)
- Pls check the settings of the BluRay player for playing video files from USB drives. Is the sound set to pass through ? Can you change the setting to stereo or 5.1 ?

2. BluRay player issue :
- Can you try playing the files using a different media player (eg Asus O'Player which you have)
- Connect that to your AVR and try playing

3. Worth trying :
- Change the HDMI cable from your BluRay player to yoru AVR
- Try a different HDMI input port on your AVR
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Yes, when I play a disc on the blu-ray player BD-F6500, the sounds come out, but when I play MKV file or YouTube video the sound does not comes. The same happens when I do the same with my other Sony blue-ray player I bought in 2018.

1. I have checked the settings on each of the two players and things are fine there.

2. I've tried playing using Asus O'player but same result.

3. I have tried different inputs but the result is the same. I wonder if there is a possible issue with the HDMI cable then why the same cable produce sound when played from a disc? Moreover, even when I play the disc on either of the Blu-ray players the device stops emitting any sound after 20-30 minutes of playing.

Hi Bikram,

I dont have any other ideas.
Try using a new HDMI cable. If that doesnt work, then maybe getting you're AVR checked is the only option.

Maybe some one else on the forum may have alternate suggestions.

It definitely looks like a HDMI handshake issue. My airtel xstream box makes the same sound occasionally but it gets fixed when I switch off and switch on the sat box. You could try using optical or spdif out from asus and checking out the sound. sometimes settings mismatch between bitstream and pcm can also cause these issues. Let asus decode the sound and send pcm signal to receiver.

I don't find HDMI cables reliable. It appears like it is working but in certain scenarios, it causes audio or video dropouts. I recently changed my bluerigger cable which was causing occasional video dropouts to kinsound HDMI 8k cable it seems to have fixed my issue.

Which one do you propose to change? The one going from the disc player to AVR or the one coming from projector to AVR? or both.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back