Sivga SV021 (Sivga Robin) First Impressions, Hifiman Various models: Listening Experience [Subjective / opinions]

imagineer

I did not see Sivga mentioned on hifivision yet, so thought... It would be a good idea to post my first impressions about the headphone (and my listening experience of various Hifiman Models) .

Background:
My experience is limited to closed backs for office or listening purposes.
My mostly used and trusty old Audio Technica M50X is no more with me( naah, that tank didn't get destroyed, it changed hands err ears). That pushed me to search for a replacement.
Constraints for replacement were defined as this:
Detachable Cords (non proprietary preferred)
Closed Back (Usable in office etc, was ready to do away with this requirement if the planar or other openback experience was overwhelming)
If possible, no Amp required. (M50x didn't)

Considered headphones before auditions (couldn't audtion them all), was willing to sacrifice few requirements for better (not slightly better) experience:
  1. AKG: K371, K701/702,
  2. Beyerdynamic: DT 770 Pro (32-80 ohm)
  3. Hifiman: Sundara (Given the rave reviews), Deva, 400Se
  4. HD599 (didn't consider 560 because of 120 Ohms)
  5. Meze 99s. Looks.
  6. Sivga Robin (Sivga SV021)
  7. Last resort: Audio Technica M50X / M70X
So, started to search for places where I could audition these (except 5, not needed ). Finally, found one store in Pune which would allow me to audition devices and headphones (got to know about them 3 days ago).

Couldn't get to listen anything on AKGs!
But, man. I could listen to permutations and combinations of following:

Sources:
Mac Book ( Apple Music)
Samsung A31 (Amazon Music, basic... non hd)
DAC&/AMP:
Gustards 16s (Separates)
Helm DB12 AAAmp

I felt sorry for not taking my DSD512s or other stuff with me.

Songs:
Howlin Mercy, Way down in the hole.
Killin Strangers, Marylyn manson
Hanna Vocal, Chemical Brothers
Few songs by Johnny Cash
Frequency and other tests.
Wailers.

Headphones:
Yay! The good stuff! The subjective stuff!
Had never audtioned the planars. Wanted to go "all in" for them! Bragging points!!!
Man!!! They are airy! Almost like the towers I've at home!
Even between them, they have different personalities! For me, 400se s sounded very similar to Sundaras. Devas and Aryas have absolutely different signatures from 400se or the Sundaras.

I loved them! Had I not, had the system at home... I wouldn't have blinked once, to get any of them!!! (They scale! A lot!!! With good amps / dacs)

Now comes the cheap stuff, which kind of agrees to most requirements:
Sivga Robin / Sivga Sv021:
They are light, very comfortable (no clamping force /weight to force you 'out of experience'.
M50s were like Gina Carano clamping your head!!!
They (Robins not Gina) don't miss the details. They are underclaiming the frequency response. Can be used with any portable devices (just like 400se s). And all of them scale Better with amps.
These Sivga Robins have got a mooshy AND proprietary pads. They cover your ears well and they don't go all Carano! Almost weightless! I was pretty impressed. Handmade wooden cups etc didn't matter to me, but if that's what you get for *free, it's okay .
Wanted a black version, did away with "look at me" brown version.

PS: I am considering DX30 pro plus as external DAC for my headphone and AVR (4700) inputs. Any suggestions?

I would simply recommend a cute complete package like this

View attachment 67466
Thank you!
I was thinking of this, considering DSD512 and RCA+Headphones outs :
"TOPPING DX3pro+ Bluetooth 5.0 LDAC ES9038Q2M DSD512 DAC NFCA Headphon" https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...12-dac-nfca-headphone-amplifier-pre-amplifier
I already have an amp, so won't need one.

A cheaper but exemplary measuring new dac+headphone amp/preamp is this :

Going by the measurements, it is VFM.

The asr review https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/loxjie-d40-review-dac-hp-amp.31040/

Attaching couple of pics taken with my potato camera, forgot to attach yesterday.
Will also mention, few more things forgotten to jot down.

Headband is metal, although very lightweight, doesn't feel flimsy.
Pad cover entire ears (they don't press against ears / earlobes). That provides very good seal and because of mooshy pads, it still retains comfort. As against M50x, I could listen to these for hours on an end.
Cable quality is pretty decent (2M long, not mentioned on package). The only qualm I've about these cables is that, they go into separate cups. But, hey not a deal breaker... Otherwise would have landed into proprietary locks territory.
All in all, I'm feeling this is good replacement for M50x. Let's see if this lasts...
IMG-20220223-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20220223-WA0003.jpg
except 5, not needed
Except 7.

Attaching couple of pics taken with my potato camera, forgot to attach yesterday.
Will also mention, few more things forgotten to jot down.

Headband is metal, although very lightweight, doesn't feel flimsy.
Pad cover entire ears (they don't press against ears / earlobes). That provides very good seal and because of mooshy pads, it still retains comfort. As against M50x, I could listen to these for hours on an end.
Cable quality is pretty decent (2M long, not mentioned on package). The only qualm I've about these cables is that, they go into separate cups. But, hey not a deal breaker... Otherwise would have landed into proprietary locks territory.
All in all, I'm feeling this is good replacement for M50x. Let's see if this lasts...
View attachment 67504
View attachment 67505

Except 7.
Here's a problem that I felt after usage:
The cushions on earcups envelope ears and provide complete isolation!

PS: I am considering DX30 pro plus as external DAC for my headphone and AVR (4700) inputs. Any suggestions?
Are you still looking for a dac/amp?.. i have a 'matrix audio mini i pro 3' for sale, it's a dac/amp/preamp/roon streamer in one box product.. Well regarded with all positive reviews

Wait for it get measured. Worth getting only if sinad is at 4 places of decimal. Anything worse is totally listenable via our 1% THD speakers and headphones. And MQA is a must. Remember, MQA is better than lossless and listening to any other lossless format is a crime to groundbreaking chinese NFB/Opamp engineering

you still looking for a dac/amp?.. i have a 'matrix audio mini i pro 3' for sale, it's a dac/amp/preamp/roon streamer in one box product.. Well regarded with all positive reviews
Apologies for late response. Got busy in other priorities. As of now, I'm not mentally prepared for spending that kind of money on DAC. Not just yet. Apologies, again

Wait for it get measured. Worth getting only if sinad is at 4 places of decimal. Anything worse is totally listenable via our 1% THD speakers and headphones. And MQA is a must. Remember, MQA is better than lossless and listening to any other lossless format is a crime to groundbreaking chinese NFB/Opamp engineering
Thanks, I had seen ASR review earlier before thinking of this.
"Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum" https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pping-dx3-pro-review-dac-headphone-amp.27148/

Also, not a big fan of MQA. DSD or just HiRes PCM / WAV . MQA has serious counter claims against

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back