SMSL AO200

SanVJ

Hi Guys

I recently came across the SMSL AO200 amplifier, and it seems like a perfect match for my need. But unfortunately, it is not available in India. So I checked with the Headphonezone; they replied that it is available with one of the sellers, and the approximate pricing would be between 28k to 32k.

Is it worth the price? Are there any other options at a lower price?

It is for my desktop setup. Currently, I'm using the Fosi Bt20A amp, and my speakers are Micca RB42. I'll upgrade the speakers soon and plan to buy speaker stands.

Thanks

Watch out for sale offered by chineese hifi dealer like aoshida audio. You can also ask for coupon discount for a particular product. There are other dealer like shenzenaudio, hifigo etc. However, you need to pay customs duty on the value of the product. I bought SMSL AO200 from aoshida audio while on sale. It costs me $250 plus customs duty approx. Rs.4,800/-.
Hi Guys

I recently came across the SMSL AO200 amplifier, and it seems like a perfect match for my need. But unfortunately, it is not available in India. So I checked with the Headphonezone; they replied that it is available with one of the sellers, and the approximate pricing would be between 28k to 32k.

It is for my desktop setup. Currently, I'm using the Fosi Bt20A amp, and my speakers are Micca RB42. I'll upgrade the speakers soon and plan to buy speaker stands.

Thanks
h

My suggestion is to wait since you are upgrading the speakers. Once you finalise on the speakers, then you can check for amp options. See if you can audition before buying anything.
There are many Class D options available at less than 30k such as SMSL DA-9, A0200, Topping PA5, Sabaj A8, Crown XLS series, Allo Volt+d, etc. Also you can check for Class AB offerings from Marantz, O&B by Aniket, Norge, etc.
Also if you are okay with used gears, watch the classifieds section for any good deals.
No need to hurry in this hobby, otherwise you will end up buying gears that you don't need or don't go well with your existing setup.​

Watch out for sale offered by chineese hifi dealer like aoshida audio. You can also ask for coupon discount for a particular product. There are other dealer like shenzenaudio, hifigo etc. However, you need to pay customs duty on the value of the product. I bought SMSL AO200 from aoshida audio while on sale. It costs me $250 plus customs duty approx. Rs.4,800/-.

h
Thanks for the suggestion@jamu09.

My suggestion is to wait since you are upgrading the speakers. Once you finalise on the speakers, then you can check for amp options. See if you can audition before buying anything.
There are many Class D options available at less than 30k such as SMSL DA-9, A0200, Topping PA5, Sabaj A8, Crown XLS series, Allo Volt+d, etc. Also you can check for Class AB offerings from Marantz, O&B by Aniket, Norge, etc.
Also if you are okay with used gears, watch the classifieds section for any good deals.
No need to hurry in this hobby, otherwise you will end up buying gears that you don't need or don't go well with your existing setup.​
I looking at Q Acoustics 3020i speakers.
So should I upgrade the speakers first and then look for suitable amp?

With the Q Acoustics M20 HD you wouldn’t have to worry about finding a matching amp.
+1 for this. The M20 HD is a very good active speaker. It is retailing for 40k now and watch for any sales, as a few of our forum members grabbed it for 33k or so and it is a steal for the price. For that price you are getting a good speaker, amp, DAC and Bluetooth capability.
Tagging @DB1989 as he is using it and can comment upon the sound quality.
There are also other good active speakers like Kali LP6/LP8, Edifiers, JBL 306/308s, Presonus, etc. Search through the forum with the mentioned product names, and you will find a lot more info and suggestions.
And just to know, what did you go with finally, RPi+E30 or Allo Boss 2?

+1 for this. The M20 HD is a very good active speaker. It is retailing for 40k now and watch for any sales, as a few of our forum members grabbed it for 33k or so and it is a steal for the price. For that price you are getting a good speaker, amp, DAC and Bluetooth capability.
There are also other good active speakers like Kali LP6/LP8, Edifiers, JBL 306/308s, Presonus, etc. Search through the forum with the mentioned product names, and you will find a lot more info and suggestions.
And just to know, what did you go with finally, RPi+E30 or Allo Boss 2?
I don't want to go the active speaker's way. If I buy the 3020i speakers, I can use them for my home theatre setup in the future.

RPI did not arrive yet. I ordered it on April 1st. The seller said that the stocks are expected only by the end of this month.

For DAC, I decided to go with SMSL SU-6.

Hi Guys

Thanks
I haven't used the SMSL A0200 but do have something similar to it from the same stable viz. the SMSL DA9. From reviews online, I understand that they sound more alike than different.

It is a very good desktop amp for the price with a clear, detailed and dynamic performance which has managed to sound good with every speaker thrown at it irrespective of the budget (lets not be unreasonable here). Speakers that I tried with it were the Missions LX-2 Mk-ii, PSB Alpha P5, Boston Acoustics A26, KEF Q350, Klipsch RP600M, Wharfedale Evo 4.2 and Quad S-5. It managed to drive every speaker to extremely loud volumes while sounding composed which is to say they can drive just about anything.

Other stand out features are first and foremost, the compact form factor - it simply beggars belief that something so compact can be this explosive! Mind you, unlike some other older compact amps including its own sibling in the SMSL DA8S which i also own, the DA9 does not possess a massive power brick. The power supply is inbuilt in the DA9, hence adding less to the clutter.

Bluetooth and XLR connectivity are a welcome addition. In fact, due to its compact form factor combined with its BT capabilities, I have successfully deployed it in the bedroom without opposition. Considering that the SMSL AO200 has a USB input, it does sound to be the perfect desktop solution.

Having said all of the above, I still prefer the sound of my Marantz PM6006 which sounds meatier in the midrange and has a slightly warm sound. If space is not an issue, it is my go to amp in the budget. Though much more coloured compared to the SMSL DA9, it has a certain sonic character which most people find pleasant. I would also consider the PM6006 to be more featured and better value than the SMSL DA9 which is rather sparse on connectivity, no doubt owing to its small form factor.

Having said all of the above, i would consider the Q Acoustics M20HD to be the best system below 50K. Its SQ simply cannot be outdone for the said budget.

It has a very well judged presentation that sounds good in both an untreated as well as treated room. And this attribute is what makes it a winner in my opinion.

While it is not the detail retrieval king, it compensates with a very well rounded sound across the frequency spectrum at all volumes whereas most loudspeakers driven through amps devoid of a loudness feature sound lacklustre at low decibels (do i suspect an active DSP?).
I would recommend steering clear of them as they have a typically brighter sound compared to home loudspeakers which, though not bad at all, can be a bit fatiguing. I quite enjoy it but I've found other people to be not as welcoming of the sound.

I haven't used the SMSL A0200 but do have something similar to it from the same stable viz. the SMSL DA9. From reviews online, I understand that they sound more alike than different.

It is a very good desktop amp for the price with a clear, detailed and dynamic performance which has managed to sound good with every speaker thrown at it irrespective of the budget (lets not be unreasonable here). Speakers that I tried with it were the Missions LX-2 Mk-ii, PSB Alpha P5, Boston Acoustics A26, KEF Q350, Klipsch RP600M, Wharfedale Evo 4.2 and Quad S-5. It managed to drive every speaker to extremely loud volumes while sounding composed which is to say they can drive just about anything.

Other stand out features are first and foremost, the compact form factor - it simply beggars belief that something so compact can be this explosive! Mind you, unlike some other older compact amps including its own sibling in the SMSL DA8S which i also own, the DA9 does not possess a massive power brick. The power supply is inbuilt in the DA9, hence adding less to the clutter.

Bluetooth and XLR connectivity are a welcome addition. In fact, due to its compact form factor combined with its BT capabilities, I have successfully deployed it in the bedroom without opposition. Considering that the SMSL AO200 has a USB input, it does sound to be the perfect desktop solution.

Having said all of the above, I still prefer the sound of my Marantz PM6006 which sounds meatier in the midrange and has a slightly warm sound. If space is not an issue, it is my go to amp in the budget. Though much more coloured compared to the SMSL DA9, it has a certain sonic character which most people find pleasant. I would also consider the PM6006 to be more featured and better value than the SMSL DA9 which is rather sparse on connectivity, no doubt owing to its small form factor.

Having said all of the above, i would consider the Q Acoustics M20HD to be the best system below 50K. Its SQ simply cannot be outdone for the said budget.

It has a very well judged presentation that sounds good in both an untreated as well as treated room. And this attribute is what makes it a winner in my opinion.

While it is not the detail retrieval king, it compensates with a very well rounded sound across the frequency spectrum at all volumes whereas most loudspeakers driven through amps devoid of a loudness feature sound lacklustre at low decibels (do i suspect an active DSP?).

I would recommend steering clear of them as they have a typically brighter sound compared to home loudspeakers which, though not bad at all, can be a bit fatiguing. I quite enjoy it but I've found other people to be not as welcoming of the sound.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience on this matter. I appreciate it.

I read somewhere that the DA9 has pop noise issues and quality control issues. That's the reason I considered AO200 over DA9.

Space is the real constraint here. Otherwise, I would have happily gone for the Marantz PM6007.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience on this matter. I appreciate it.

I read somewhere that the DA9 has pop noise issues and quality control issues. That's the reason I considered AO200 over DA9.
Since the AO200 is supposed to be a newer and better version of the DA9, they would have hopefully sorted out these issues. Having said that, I've acquired two units of the DA-9 and I'm relieved that these QC issues haven't cropped up.
Space is the real constraint here. Otherwise, I would have happily gone for the Marantz PM6007.
If space is a constraint and you intend to connect amp to a computer or Rpi, it is the perfect solution owing to its USB connectivity and tiny footprint. You could consider holding off on the SU-6 and check if you are happy with the internal DAC of the AO200.

Since the AO200 is supposed to be a newer and better version of the DA9, they would have hopefully sorted out these issues. Having said that, I've acquired two units of the DA-9 and I'm relieved that these QC issues haven't cropped up.
May I know from where did you buy the SMSL DA9 amp?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back