Snapdeal- highly competitive price but uncertain service

I read the article, couldn't find a single thing stating what you are saying :p

Show me the stuff dude, anything random won't work :D

Funnily enough, at Snapdeal, the same item appears to be "in stock" at new prices.

I can accept human error (in pricing) once. But this seems to be happening too often at Snapdeal which tells me that this is not a sound business house. Personally I have no experience as I have never dealt with Snapdeal but I am basing my statements on various collaborations/posts herein.

Kix.. I have multiple experiences. Which is a sure let down. In fact it started from their initial days. I ordered few items all of between Rs 200-500 for each item, which they published at an unbelievable discounts for most. But they cancelled few.

The latest incidence of MR3420 (TPlink wi fi router) they advertised at 2210, I paid for it they keep delaying the shipping to cancel finally. And hold your breath they hiked the by around 175 or so. That's really unprofessional. I got at the same thing at the higher price from Ebay (instead of Snapdel) and got next day delivery. My point is that if they can't afford the discount they shall not publish it at first place and changing it later. And this is definitely not wrong printing of price as it seems the price is very much possible considering few weeks ago they offered the same thing for Rs 2100.

Well I never said that Snapdeal is doing it right

What I am saying is they have the right to do that, I will be pissed off too if that happens to me

What I am saying is they have the right to do that, I will be pissed off too if that happens to me

I beg to differ, that the company (snapdeal) has the right to do such acts.

Very interesting that you being a consumer is advocating/ supporting such measures of Snapdeal and others. Let us say, you bought a Flat tomorrow for 50 lacs. After some time the price of the flat went up to 60 lacs and the builder says "boss I can't give you for 50 lacs, but now you can buy for 60 lacs"; do you think it is OK and perfectly fine and within the legal ambit?

Definitely not, you'll go to consumer court or other court for justice. We will do that because the amount is too high and we can devote our time, energy and money for justice. But in such small items, it's not worth and that's why we normally vents our ire only by putting it online, not because he is legally correct.

Very interesting that you being a consumer is advocating/ supporting such measures of Snapdeal and others. Let us say, you bought a Flat tomorrow for 50 lacs. After some time the price of the flat went up to 60 lacs and the builder says "boss I can't give you for 50 lacs, but now you can buy for 60 lacs"; do you think it is OK and perfectly fine and within the legal ambit?

Definitely not, you'll go to consumer court or other court for justice. We will do that because the amount is too high and we can devote our time, energy and money for justice. But in such small items, it's not worth and that's why we normally vents our ire only by putting it online, not because he is legally correct.

Very valid point. You are absolutely correct. Since the amount is less, we hardly bother. But if 100 such aggrieved customers file a joint complaint against a company, I am very sure that they will think TWICE before taking us (consumers) for a ride in future.

As I said before, once in blue moon (and hopefully the blue moon appears once in a lifetime only), I can accept an honest mistake - like the examples I gave before. But Snapdeal is not making price printing errors. It is announcing deals via discounts. Surely this cannot be a mistake? Can it? I mean, if I was a shopkeeper/e-tailer, I could mistakenly put price as Rs. 125 instead of Rs. 1250. But how can I explain - Was Rs. 1250. Now 50% off at Rs. 625. Save Rs. 625. Then when someone books the merchandise, I tell them, Sorry. The item you ordered is out of stock and hence we are cancelling the order. Regret the inconvenience. Then, the next day or day after, the same item appears in my catalog for Rs. 1000 and wonders, I have stock again.

This is a deplorable business practice. If you have suffered with such acts, you should:

- Lodge a consumer complaint. I agree with RMCWS. If there are large number of such complaints, the owners will think twice.
- Lodge complaints on review sites such as Mouthshut.com.
- Boycott such websites/shops. Let them fail for all I care.

But I am not sure that Indian consumer laws protect this kind of a scam because customer has not lost money other than than interest on the paid up capital. Here there is an interesting scenario. Buyer has been fully refunded but seller gained out of keeping the order amount for whatever amount of time and gaining interest.

Last edited:
I had placed 7 orders with them, out of which 3 orders were cancelled by them on account of no stock. Only good part is that I always choose COD and they were shipped to me, so I was somewhat fine. If I had choose them as a gifting options for a someone's birthday or so it would have been painful. On the whole they are not trust-able unlike Amazon or flipkart, but their prices are always complying to buy from them.

Only reason I am supporting Snapdeal as of now is that there are very few other players who are still offering the wide range of products. Otherwise it will be again monopoly or duopoly. In fact after buying out "let's buy", there was hardly any offer from Flipkart as they thought they bought out their competition. Luckily whether good or bad, Snapdeal and infibeam are there to service the online buyers, thus forcing even the best to at least give some good deal. Also with competition and as market matures up, the service standard is also likely to go up, and who will not pull up their socks they will perish in no time. But frankly CoD is a better option for the ones whose chances of dishonouring a deal is higher.

Only reason I am supporting Snapdeal as of now is that there are very few other players who are still offering the wide range of products. Otherwise it will be again monopoly or duopoly. In fact after buying out "let's buy", there was hardly any offer from Flipkart as they thought they bought out their competition. Luckily whether good or bad, Snapdeal and infibeam are there to service the online buyers, thus forcing even the best to at least give some good deal. Also with competition and as market matures up, the service standard is also likely to go up, and who will not pull up their socks they will perish in no time. But frankly CoD is a better option for the ones whose chances of dishonouring a deal is higher.

I don't agree. Amazon is literally a monopoly. Yet there are very few complaints from the millions of buyers at Amazon. However, crappy Indian websites only have a few thousand buyers of which hundreds complain against them of scamming. We really need Amazon in India so that other websites can retire.

I ordered 7 ACDs from snapdeal on 23rd August and today (30th Aug) I got 5 of them. It was my first purchase with snapdeal and I just wanted to try out how they work by ordering some ACDs like Dev D, Bombay, Sholay etc.

I intentionally used COD method to pay. The took some time to deliver (though delivered 5 cds within deadline) but I am fairly happy. Would definitely look for some bargain on snapdeal.

I ordered 7 ACDs from snapdeal on 23rd August and today (30th Aug) I got 5 of them. It was my first purchase with snapdeal and I just wanted to try out how they work by ordering some ACDs like Dev D, Bombay, Sholay etc.

I intentionally used COD method to pay. The took some time to deliver (though delivered 5 cds within deadline) but I am fairly happy. Would definitely look for some bargain on snapdeal.

Ordered 7 ACDs on 23 August, got first 5 on 30th Aug, got the 6th one on 6th Sept. 1 order is cancelled as confirmed by the seller. Mode of payment is COD.
I am quite satisfied with their service. If you are not in a hurry, you can go for snapdeal. And they are still offering some 18-25% discount on ACDs.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back