So Beautiful or So What - The new album by Paul Simon

kriant

'lo everyone.

Just thought that I would do a quick post to tell you that the new Paul Simon Album - So Beautiful Or So What has been released in India.

In the USA, it's debuted at no 4 on the Billboard 200 chart.

Here is an extract from the Washington Post Review - On the cusp of 70, well into a life of musicmaking that has spanned almost the entire history of American pop, Paul Simon has delivered an album that is easily among the very best of his career and certainly the richest since Graceland arrived a full quarter century ago.

I'm off to Rhythm House this evening to pick out my copy.

The Paul Simon and a wee dram of Mortlach. Aaah an evening to look forward to

Paul Simon is one of those rare singers who seldom delivers a dud. A new album by him is certainly something to look forward to. I am strictly following a self imposed rule, to only buy western classical CD's, but I would not mind borrowing this CD, if I can :)

Paul Simon's One Trick Pony was a superb album . One of the best pop album of the 80's.

The wee dram of Mortlach sounds interesting. Have not come across this single malt before :) Which region is it from? Highland? Coastal?

Simon & Garfunkel has been a hugely successful American band for a long time. But when it comes to listing 20th centuries greatest bands, I feel S&G is grossly underrated. Perhaps it's the deceptive simplicity of their music which is responsible for their 'extremely nice' but not the greatest status.

I first came across their music in the mid 70's, when our music teacher at school, tried in vain to teach us how to sing "The Sounds Of Silence" in tune! A little later I acquired their greatest hits anthology. It was love at first sound! Mrs. Robinson, The Boxer, I Am A Rock, Scarborough Fair, Emily, Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Homeward Bound, America, Dangling Conversation, Hazy Shade Of Winter.........

The other bands I was listening to in those days were The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Eagles, Pink Floyd, Queen, Abba and Carpenters. As I grew older I acquired a different set of friends, habits and music. Bob Dylan, Neil Young,
Santana, Dire Straits, Led Zep, The Who, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Traffic, Cream, Grateful Dead, Steel Dan.....

I stopped listening to many of my earlier favorites, a long time ago, but my affection for S&G has never waned. Not even for a brief period of time, in the past 35 years! Going strictly by the longevity of my love for the music of a particular band, I would vote them the greatest!

Most of the music I discovered in the 70's/80's/90's has been left behind. In all probability I will never be revisiting it again. And that would include all the bands and singers mentioned above, with the exception of Carpenters, Abba, Dire Straits, Grateful Dead, Steely Dan.

In the bad old 80's if I had said, that I prefer Carpenter's to Pink Floyd, I would have been dubbed a philistine with girlie tastes! But now I don't go by the opinion of peer's or friends. I am a rock, I am an island. And I am pretty happy and comfortable with that status.

I stopped listening to many of my earlier favorites, a long time ago, but my affection for S&G has never waned. Not even for a brief period of time, in the past 35 years! Going strictly by the longevity of my love for the music of a particular band, I would vote them the greatest!

But now I don't go by the opinion of peer's or friends. I am a rock, I am an island. And I am pretty happy and comfortable with that status.

Now isn't that's the test of great music.It has no expiry date!

The thing though about Mr.Simon, is his to keep moving, without being petrified in an age, time or genre.

Here is a fragment of a song from his new album.It's called Questions for the Angels.

A pilgrim on a pilgrimage
Walked across the Brooklyn Bridge
His sneakers torn
In the hour when the homeless move their cardboard blankets
and the new day is born
Folded in his back pocket
The questions that he copied from his heart
Who am I in this lonely world?
And where will I make my bed tonight?
When twilight turns to dark

Question for the Angels
Who believes in Angels?
Fools do
Fools and Pilgrims all over the world

Few people can turn a phrase like Mr. Simon and he is in fine form here.

Last edited:
Fully agree with your sentiment about S & G. I first ehard them when I was a high school student in the late 60's. Saw the Graduate in 1970, with their tracks, I now plan to pick up the DVD of the Concert in Central Park, bought the CD many years ago.

Have been having more than a dram( multiples) of various malts during the last week. Dalmore 18 yr old, followed by Laphroaig and Bowmore last night! Aahhhh...

GeorgeO
I was under the impression that moderators are moderate drinkers! Laphroaig and Bowmore are among my favorites. I don't particularly care for Dalmore.

I first heard the music of S&G when I was maybe 13-14 years old. A few years later, in the late 70's, I got to watch 'The Graduate' in a cinema hall, on a lazy Sunday morning. I primarily went to hear the songs, but it turned out to be a great film. Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross....good script, direction and performances.

While studying in a college in Chandigarh and living in a hostel, I and a couple of friends were addicted to Hollywood movies. Since these films only ran for single shows in several halls, we got to watch 15-20 films every month. Those were the days! :) As good old Mary Hopkins intoned. Endless, carefree days of indulgence and languor. When the paucity of money,sex and lectures attended in college, were the only clouds in a clear blue sky :)

Not much a follower of this dude, or S&G though I have picked up quite a few records of S&G.

As is his wont, he has included some "world" musicians in this album, this time mridangam and ghatak and a carnatic chant graces one of the songs. Yet to give it a thorough listening, but the lyrics are class acts as usual.
Joshua

Dude is indeed an appropriate moniker.:eek:

Mr.Simon has been playing around with sounds from around the world, before the genre - world music was invented by the good marketing folk, back at the record companies.

Paul Simon may be the lyricist and the creative spirit, but his solo music is not in the same league as the songs of S&G. There are barely 4-5 solo Simon's I hum or listen to, but the list of S&G songs embedded in my mind is long and plentiful. I like Art slightly better than Paul, because his voice is really special. I consider him to be as important as Paul in the duo's work together.

S&G magic. Paul's words and guitar. Art's voice.

For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her

What I dream I had, dressed in organdy
Clothed in crinoline, of smoky Burgundy
Softer than the rain

I wandered empty streets, down past the shop displays
I heard cathedral bells, tripping down the alley ways
As I walked on

And when you ran to me your cheeks flushed with the night
We walked on frosted fields of juniper and lamplight
I held your hand

And when I awoke and felt you warm and near
I kissed your honey hair with my grateful tears
Oh I love you, girl
Oh, I love you
YouTube - For Emily Whenever I May Find Her

Art Garfunkel had the voice did he not. A perfect tenor.

It's a shame that he faded into oblivion over time. G needed the S. While S broke free. The album Hearts and Bones was meant to be a S&G come back album of sorts, but then ended up becoming a Paul Simon solo effort

I personally think that Mr. Simon has gone on from strength to strength, both as a songwriter and a musician.

But then again S&G are timeless.

Here is my favorite song from Hearts and Bones. Hearts and Bones.

YouTube - Paul Simon - Hearts and Bones + lyrics

Enjoy!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back