Solve this Emotiva equation for me

Spidey

Hi

I purchased various Emotiva components over last few months and all of them (almost) are here.

The items are:-

Emotiva UMC-1 av processor
Emotiva USP-1 stereo pre
Emotiva 2 ch XPA-2 and 5ch UPA-5

And my 5 speakers.

Now I want to connect them all.

Pl suggest how to connect them. Like pre outs to in etc etc.

Hope it is not very difficult. A diagram also would be appreciated.

Thanks

1) UMC-1 to USP-1
The LR and SW output from UMC-1 to HT Input of USP-1
2) USP-1 To XPA-2
The High Pass (L&R) from USP-1 to XPA-2 & the LP (SW) out from (USP-1) to Subwoofer
3)The Centre & Surround Output from UMC-1 to UPA-5.
Or you can use UPA-5 to bi-amp your fronts and centre, & Let XPA-2 handle surrounds.
This route I followed while connecting Marantz SR7002 to USP-1 & XPA-3.
Here is the Schematics
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=prepro&action=display&thread=6678

Last edited:
Hi

I purchased various Emotiva components over last few months and all of them (almost) are here.

The items are:-

Emotiva UMC-1 av processor
Emotiva USP-1 stereo pre
Emotiva 2 ch XPA-2 and 5ch UPA-5

And my 5 speakers.

Now I want to connect them all.

Pl suggest how to connect them. Like pre outs to in etc etc.

Hope it is not very difficult. A diagram also would be appreciated.

Thanks

if u dont mind .. what were the damages and how did u source(import) the components ?

Now you have separate 2 and 5 channel systems. What is the confusion ?

- The stereo preamp connects to the 2 channel amp and two speakers are connected to the amp.

- The HT processor connects to the 5 channel amp and five speakers are connected to the amp.

I assume both will be kept in separate rooms, Otherwise the separate power amplifiers are a waste of money.

Spidey's post mentions only 5 speakers in all, probably that's the question?! I read it as how to have separate 2-ch and 5-ch systems with just 5 speakers.

And one way to do that maybe with a switch for the 2 front speakers to connect them to either amp.

Now you have separate 2 and 5 channel systems. What is the confusion ?

- The stereo preamp connects to the 2 channel amp and two speakers are connected to the amp.

- The HT processor connects to the 5 channel amp and five speakers are connected to the amp.

I assume both will be kept in separate rooms, Otherwise the separate power amplifiers are a waste of money.

Since you have 5 speakers, effectively, the two front speakers will need to be bi-amped with the XPA2 and UPA5. The pre for the XPA2 will be the USP1 and the pre-pro for the UPA5 will be the UMC1.

Hope this solves your problem and there is a reward for me for solving it :)

I think I understand what Spidey is trying to achieve - a 7.1 setup but he has only 5.1 speakers at the moment. I too have done this and worked well while I had it that way. My requirement was that everything is in the same room, front speakers are shared between stereo listening and movie\multichannel audio. I am assuming Spidey also wants to do the same. BTW, I have now seperated both, though they are all in the same room.

Here is how the connections would need to be:

2 Channel Source -> Emotiva USP-1 stereo pre -> Emotiva 2 ch XPA-2 -> Front Speakers

So far, same as any Stereo System (Stereo quality does not suffer as there is nothing additional in the chain)

Here are the changes if you want to make it work as per your requirement:

1. Left and Right Channel RCA out of Emotiva UMC-1 av processor -> AUX(or any free source input) of your Emotiva USP-1 stereo pre)
  2. Remaining RCA outs (you should have five plus one LFE remaining as UMC-1 is 7.1 to the inputs in your UPA-5 amp
  3. Connect Speaker outs from UPA-5 amp to centre and two surrounds. You will have two channels not being used because you have seven channels and 5 speakers. Buy another pair of surrounds as and when required.
  4. Connect LFE out from UMC-1 to sub

For, listening to music in 2 Channel, turn off the UMC-1 and 5ch UPA-5.

For watching a movie keep all equipment on, select aux as input on the input selector in your USP-1, turn on bypass mode (this will cut off the volume control on your USP-1 stereo pre so you can control the overall volume using the UMC-1. This way you will not have to do any wiring changes when you have to switch between movie and stereo mode.

@Santhol2, is it OK to connect UMC-1 out to USP-1 in? Also, would it not be tricky to turn 2 volumes for overall vol +/-??

P.S. No wiring changes will be required if a switch is deployed between front speakers and the 2 amps.

Last edited:
@Santhol2, is it OK to connect UMC-1 out to USP-1 in? Also, would it not be tricky to turn 2 volumes for overall vol +/-??
Nope, it is fine. Stereo pre-amps usually have a bypass function for this very purpose. The volume Pot on the stereo-pre gets disabled, also there is not color added to the signal that the UMC-1 passes is sent straight to the amp. Volume of the UMC-1 dictates overall volume while watching a movie. I am sure the USP-1 has it as I remember reading about it at the emotiva forums. Even my Adcom Pre has a bypass feature and works the way I have described.

P.S. No wiring changes will be required if a switch is deployed between front speakers and the 2 amps.
You are right Shankar, that will work. However, for stereo IMO better to keep the signal path clean.

To get the best of both 2 channel and multichannel
you cud chk this figure out ,its quiet simple

u cud use the xpa-2 to drive your mains and the upa-5 for the remaining channels

1) L/R out of UMC-1 to HT inputs of USP-1
2) High pass of USP-1 to XPA-2 power amp , you are set for 2 channel play back

3) Remaining channels connect directly from UMC-1 to UPA-5

4) alternatively u cud connect sub directly from umc-1 to sub or sub out of UMC-1 to HT inputs (sub) on USP-1 and LP/sub from USP-1 to subwoofer if u wish to use sub for music too

for more info on this u cud chk it here
Google Image Result for http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4423634295_af692cd4f5_o.png

Last edited:
Thanks Subash.

I saw that diagram on Emotiva lounge.
It is a simple solution.

My aim was :
Simultaneous but pure and separate 2 ch and 5 ch sound systems that share same speakers without needing to switch anything.

There is no mixing of stereo sound and home theatre sound.

Now is the question how to use 5 chs of UPA-5. It is straight answer for a 7.1 system.
But now for my 5 spks. I can biamp the centre channel which is very imp And use 2 for rears leaving one unused.
Any other suggestion?

Now about sources.
I presume CDP goes to usp and rest all media players to umc?

Regards

Regards

Last edited:
To get the best of both 2 channel and multichannel
you cud chk this figure out ,its quiet simple......
A picture speaks a thousand words, hopefully this should help Spidey.

Spidey, it would be better if you mention clearly what your requirements are. Otherwise, we are all shooting in the dark:).

I have made connections exactly as shown in figure.

I am getting fantastic stereo sound.
But very low umc-1 sound.

Whatsbthe cause.

Thanks

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back