Sonodyne Uranus

After a long search I have bought my setup of Sonodyne Uranus (Ampl SA580, Deck SD580, Graphic equiliser SQ500 and speakers SX909) yesterday. There is a little problem with the amp:sad: : the right channel output is very low. Can anybody please help me to rectify the problem?

Last edited:
Switch the speaker cables from one speaker to the other. If the left speaker now sounds 'low', then possibly it is an amplifier issue. Report it here then. One step at a time!

another possiblity is dirty contacts in one of the mechanical bits. A do over of all the pots and the switches with a contact cleaner should help

Switch the speaker cables from one speaker to the other. If the left speaker now sounds 'low', then possibly it is an amplifier issue. Report it here then. One step at a time!

Had tried the same and found the amplifier faulty. Took the set to my brother who is a technician and he diagnosed the problem as a faulty STK. Now looking for the STK. By the way can you please tell me what mid range speakers were used by the company in the SX 909 boxes?

Yes, the amplifier is based on STK4191 II IC. I too had a similar problem with one channel and got the IC replaced. This IC is easily available.
The ampllifier also uses one chip for channel selection, which no longer is available. If that happens, then you will have run the amplifier only in one mode.

Manoj

Did you get your STK IC? What is the number of the IC?

Thought it was STK 4191-II

I found a link to a website selling them -

STK4191-II

Yes, the amplifier is based on STK4191 II IC. I too had a similar problem with one channel and got the IC replaced. This IC is easily available.
The ampllifier also uses one chip for channel selection, which no longer is available. If that happens, then you will have run the amplifier only in one mode.

Manoj
Thanks to you all. Yes I have replaced the STK with the 4191-II, but another problem has cropped out. The volume control slider has gone kaput. Desperately seeking for a replacement. Meanwhile the amp is up with a locally purchased rotary vc which has been mounted at the back plate of the amp. but as this is not the matching one the performance of the amp is not satisfactory. The specs of the slider is 681k + 250 k dual slider. Hope I will find one. Maybe you gurus can help me out.
Amitava

These are difficult to get. I have carried out another modification, I use a pre-amplifier with a volume control, and feed it to the power amplifier of the sa 580 (sonodyne uranus). The result is very good.

Manoj

Thanks to you all. Yes I have replaced the STK with the 4191-II, but another problem has cropped out. The volume control slider has gone kaput. Desperately seeking for a replacement. Meanwhile the amp is up with a locally purchased rotary vc which has been mounted at the back plate of the amp. but as this is not the matching one the performance of the amp is not satisfactory. The specs of the slider is 681k + 250 k dual slider. Hope I will find one. Maybe you gurus can help me out.
Amitava

Do you know what is the i/p sensitivity of the AMP, then we can decide on an off-board attenuator.

can can try rebuilding it
1st try spraying it with deoxit to clean the insides
2nd, open it up and move the contact metal point to a bit to either side so that it makes contact besides where it was already was

These are difficult to get. I have carried out another modification, I use a pre-amplifier with a volume control, and feed it to the power amplifier of the sa 580 (sonodyne uranus). The result is very good.

Manoj

Hi,

I'm also a proud owner of Sonodyne Uranus same set. I was wondering with this idea of using pre-amp with SA 580 as I need more input (than the available) to be amplified. What input source (CD/Tuner/Tape) you are using as the input source to the SA 580? Also what pre-amp you are using now.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I'm also a proud owner of Sonodyne Uranus same set. I was wondering with this idea of using pre-amp with SA 580 as I need more input (than the available) to be amplified. What input source (CD/Tuner/Tape) you are using as the input source to the SA 580? Also what pre-amp you are using now.

Thanks in advance.
I made a tube based pre-amplifer from the kit by Transcendent Sound - called Grounded Grid Pre-amp. THe pre-amp was briefly auditioned and you can find the link here:
http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/43909-lm-audio-mini-meet-kolkata.html

We made a simple modification in sa 580 amp. that one of the inputs (which connects to graphic equalizer) bypassed the pre-amp circuit of the amp., including the volume, tone controls etc..

Manoj

I have a sonodyne sx 500 equaliser, coupled with SONODYNE Uranus II B...

Recently the equaliser is producing hum in one channel, after sometime like 1/2 hours of playback... noticed that some capacitors of power section is getting hot...

Maybe this could be a reason...?

Have changed one leaked 2.2mfd 12 v capacitor WITH 2 x 1 mfd 63 v capacitor in parallel at output filter section...

I was not here for a long time now . Guys I am going to buy a Sonodyne SA-740 (Uranus IIb amplifier) along with their main and surround speakers . This is in totally working condition. Is it worth buying ?

Also have a keen interest on buying a Sonodyne SC-4030 Amplifier from one of my friend .

Please help .

Stay Safe

Thanks in Advance : )

I also need the same amplifier sc 4030 sonodyne , can any one suggest us from where to buy ..

Attachments

• 893083B6-B69C-4E16-AB60-FCF9CD0D7969.jpeg
    893083B6-B69C-4E16-AB60-FCF9CD0D7969.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 41
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back