Sony CRT widescreen service issue

Diagonal sync? I've never heard of that in a TV, just horizontal and vertical. If the problem is intermittent, it may be a dry solder or a faulty resistor or cap, semis usually don't get messed up with heat. It may be a sync problem for sure, but I doubt it's a biggie. What I could dig up (I don't advise you poking around in a TV) points to a bad or loose ground on on eof the blanking circuits, but I'm not very familiar with that part of a TV myself, so will advise you to get a second opinion.

Thanks cranky for all your help. Had a word with the service center. He says that the problem is in the sync card and he cannot identify the part bcoz of lack of service manual.

The problem has disappeared as of now , so no technician is able to help until the problem surfaces again.

But I have to say here that sony india serivce is pathetic and alarming. Their call senter has not bothered to even reply back inspite of numerous reminders. I did not receive a reply from Sony asia pacific to my mail and complaint.

I have not received such treatment from any company till date. And to think that we pay 20% extra to Sony for their brand name.

The picture shakes left to right to left continuously and there are lines all across the screen diagonally. The service center guy says there is a problem in the diagonal sync section and as the service manual is not available, he cannot identify the parts. I have written to Sony India and Sony asia pacific through their web site but they have not given any response till date.

Now, yesterday, I went to the service center to pick up the Tv and while testing, it swas working fine. The service center guy now says that the problem is still there and would crop us once the TV gets heated. It looks that in June the tempreature rose to 47C and hence, the part got over heated and malfunctioned and now since the temperature is down to 35-38C, the part is not getting heated up to malfunction.

But as the problem is still there, I would have to get the TV repaired come what may.

I used to help a friend of mine fix similar issues long time ago - its usually a capacitor that is busted or a grounding issue. The lines are caused by the leakage in the capacitor.

I could not tell exactly which one it is in your case as I would need the owners reference manual.

Its not a biggie and shoudl be fixed within 15 - 30 mins if the guy knows what he is looking for.

there are plenty of service manuals in the net for a price.if it was a indian model sony would have without doubt fixed it.

there are plenty of service manuals in the net for a price.if it was a indian model sony would have without doubt fixed it.

Sony fixed the same TV around 2 years back for same sync problem. Anyway, am looking the net for service manual. Can you point me to a good relaible website for service manuals.

Thanks so much

Well i have a sony 34" Trinitron tv model which is around 5 years old and it conked off,First i got some local guy to look at it, he tried to procure the parts and couldn't get it to work, i ended up spending 1k on that. In the end he said that with Sony Tv u can only get sony specific parts to work, if they buy any local part or part with similar capacity it wont last long and will cause more damage.

My next step was to log a repair call with Sony, after follow ups for one week finally the technician arrived and they charge Rs 250 for just visiting, he checked and said that couple of parts needed replacement, he noted the part nos and told us that they would need to order and procure them as they are not available locally.If they can procure they would give cost with time duration.

What was surprising what he said that the life of the part that has expired was 5 years or 6000 hours max, so i was surprised and i said i have had Sony Tv's before that lasted more than a decade easily not depending on time or use.

He said that the model i have is still better, the latest ones have a life span of 5 years max and then may need to be repaired. Well Sony may be offering cheaper TV's now but the quality of those is questionable.He also said that most customers are going for LCD now and soon they will stop CRT's. Also that repair of LCD's was more expensive and difficult, as they replace the whole board of the unit if it can be fixed and do not do component level repair.

After 2 days sony service center called and said the parts can be procured and fixed the repair will cost 3.5k, if we approve they will pick up the Tv and get it fixed in one week.I agreed, they came at home picked up the Tv took to their service center.

After a week got it delivered with a bill of 3.5k - and the parts that were replaced.

As of now its working fine ...

So my advice, don't give ur TV for repair to a local shop,better to give repair to authorized sony service center, or to someone who has been handling and servicing sony before, as they may be able to procure the part and get it fixed.

Overall I agree the quality of electronic products is not what it used to be earlier. I had purchased a SONY Trinitron TV way back in 1982 which worked for almost 15 years flawlessly without any major repairs ever needed. Now-a-days even if you buy a Made in Japan product there is not guarantee as within the 3rd or 4th year it will require some major repairs. I guess India will also soon move into the phase like developed countries where in most cases repairing a product will not be economically feasible, and we will be forced to buy new products.

Spiderman

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back