Sony Handycam (New Models)

Avijeet

Hi all,
I did a blunder yesterday by not doing much research and buying Sony Handycam SX63E @ 16,700/-
The build quality, functions are features are impeccable but its Standard Definition and when i plug it to my 50 plasma i was just disgusted to see the output quality...
So finally and luckily i manage to convince the dealer to take it back....
and replace it with a higher one......
now planning to go for Sony Handycam HDR-CX150E @ 29,700/-
13,000/-more i have to pay :|
But at least the picture will be HD
Guys i still have time (2 days)
Please suggest me.....
M not opting for those heavy (350 grams +) HDD camera... m comfortable with this 200 grams Flash card/Pro Duo card camera
PSP + NDS + IPOD CLASSIS 80 GB

The only problem with the flash memory camcorders is that there is very little storage, as buying 12/16gb cards are expensive and the amount of space a half an hour recording of full HD takes is not funny.

So if you dont plan to take long recordings or can afford to buy multiple flash memory cards you should be fine.

I am also looking for a HD cam.

Flash memory camcorders are good but Flash memory (Memory Stick) used by Sony is proprietary and expensive than the SD Cards.

So both the options are not very attractive. HDD based being bulky and Sony Flash Memory being expensive.

I think flash memory based HD-Cams by some other brand would be a better option but could not find anything in the range of 30-40k.

I had got a HDD based Sony handycam more than 2 years back from US (model no. HDR-SR7 with 60 GB) capable of full HD (1080i) video and pretty decent still images (6 MP), 10x optical zoom. I know there are much better models available now (e.g. HDR-SR11/SR12, ....). I know you can get similar HDD based HD capable models (Sony, Canon) here now.
I would suggest you seriously consider this ahead of other types. Having used it, I can tell you - this is really so much more easy to use and they are not heavy. You can record & store HD videos till you fill up the internal HDD and when you do you can just connect it to your PC and copy the videos/photos. And then connecting your camcorder to your HD TV through HDMI - you can enjoy the HD video experience.
If you can get it from US through your friends/colleagues, you will surely save on cost as well.

Also look for Canon Models within the HD line-up because they tend to get favourable reviews than Sony. I personally own a Sony SR10 which has got 40GB capacity in-built and can take flash memory card. As someone rightly pointed it's highly stupid from Sony in not allowing SD Cards which are relatively cheaper. But I can't complain about the weight - It's pretty light for anyone to handle, Ofcourse I haven't handled a purely flash card based camera.

Also in low-light generally average budget HD Camcorders are a bit poor. A test clip I recorded last year on my camcorder, It was shot in Fireworks mode

YouTube - Les Commandos Percu - Bombs per Minutes

THANKS TO ALL FOR PROMPT REPLY AND VALUABLE INPUTS

The only problem with the flash memory camcorders is that there is very little storage, as buying 12/16gb cards are expensive and the amount of space a half an hour recording of full HD takes is not funny.

So if you dont plan to take long recordings or can afford to buy multiple flash memory cards you should be fine.

Ye.... 16GB integrated + 16GB Pro duo bundled... 32 gb.. 6 hrs of full HD recording.... it's good enough for me... as i will transfer the movies to my 500 GB HDD connected to WDTV...

I had got a HDD based Sony handycam more than 2 years back from US (model no. HDR-SR7 with 60 GB) capable of full HD (1080i) video and pretty decent still images (6 MP), 10x optical zoom. I know there are much better models available now (e.g. HDR-SR11/SR12, ....). I know you can get similar HDD based HD capable models (Sony, Canon) here now.
I would suggest you seriously consider this ahead of other types. Having used it, I can tell you - this is really so much more easy to use and they are not heavy. You can record & store HD videos till you fill up the internal HDD and when you do you can just connect it to your PC and copy the videos/photos. And then connecting your camcorder to your HD TV through HDMI - you can enjoy the HD video experience.
If you can get it from US through your friends/colleagues, you will surely save on cost as well.

I have gone through the specs of all the models.... and there is very little to choose from a HDD and Flash card.... both are equally good.... SONY INDIA provides 3 yrs warrenty thats the only reason m ready to pay little extra... Price difference in USA and INDIA is 2-4K

Also look for Canon Models within the HD line-up because they tend to get favourable reviews than Sony. I personally own a Sony SR10 which has got 40GB capacity in-built and can take flash memory card. As someone rightly pointed it's highly stupid from Sony in not allowing SD Cards which are relatively cheaper. But I can't complain about the weight - It's pretty light for anyone to handle, Ofcourse I haven't handled a purely flash card based camera.

CANNON not available here in Bhubaneswar....
thanks a ton for posting the video... it's really good....
m now 1+ for Sony

Sony India's new camcorder models take both Memory Stick and SD Cards.....Check them out.....best is to buy falsh memory based camcorders because they are compact and rugged and have no movable / mechanical parts - so less trouble.

Considering the future buy 1080 HD camcorders..........or wait as the price will drop further....

Sony India's new camcorder models take both Memory Stick and SD Cards.....Check them out.....best is to buy falsh memory based camcorders because they are compact and rugged and have no movable / mechanical parts - so less trouble.

Considering the future buy 1080 HD camcorders..........or wait as the price will drop further....

deba jee....thanks for the responce...
ye u r rite.... SD compatible also.....
Ye HD will be outdated soon as U-HD (4320P) will arrive soon

i cant wait for a price fall... my son is 14 months old.. i wanna capture and preserve his childhood :)

Today, I bought HDR-CX150E from Croma, Delhi.

It is good for Rs.29,700/-, 16+16 GB Memory. Supports SD Card also. Free Carry vase (not much of use, too big, common for all sony handycams), 3 years Sony India warranty.

Thanks Avijeet for information about new products, last time when I went to the showrooms CX100 was the latest.

Thanks deba for making it clear that it supports SD card also, never went through specifications, have been using Sony products with Memory Sticks for last 9 years so for for me, it was obvious that all Sony digicams / handycams have proprietary Sony Memory Stick/Pro/M-2 only.

As I mentioned earlier, I was neither very interested to buy HDR-XR100E (Hard Disk) not HDR-CX100E (limited internal memory and expensive external memory).

Now, I am happy to buy this product. :yahoo:

Today, I bought HDR-CX150E from Croma, Delhi.

It is good for Rs.29,700/-, 16+16 GB Memory. Supports SD Card also. Free Carry vase (not much of use, too big, common for all sony handycams), 3 years Sony India warranty.

Thanks Avijeet for information about new products, last time when I went to the showrooms CX100 was the latest.

Thanks deba for making it clear that it supports SD card also, never went through specifications, have been using Sony products with Memory Sticks for last 9 years so for for me, it was obvious that all Sony digicams / handycams have proprietary Sony Memory Stick/Pro/M-2 only.

As I mentioned earlier, I was neither very interested to buy HDR-XR100E (Hard Disk) not HDR-CX100E (limited internal memory and expensive external memory).

Now, I am happy to buy this product. :yahoo:

Congrats...
It's good to know that this topic helped you taking purchase decision....
do share your review...

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back