Sony OLED pricing and demo.

BLASTO

Really surprised to see that there is no thread for this masterpiece yet.

Does anyone own a sony OLED TV? I recently demoed for a 55" and ended up ordering a 65" since finance option really narrowed the price boundary and got a really good price.
Awaiting delivery.

I demoed against the current LG C8 and LG C7 which are great by themselves.

Below are the pros and cons I saw against LG though,

Pros of Sony AF8:

1) Sony's picture processing for 4k is great. While every other scene not involving human faces can be declared a tie, human face rendering and tone mapping is top class in the sony and not so much with LG C8. This is one of the biggest factor.

2) LG USB playback seem to render PQ less than the USB playback of sony. HDMI performance and demo app performance was same. (Did LG owners feel the same?)

3) LG has no android TV and sony comes with Android 8 which is a richly supported ecosystem with Apps from official Google play-store supported. This is the next biggest factor.
3.a) Vast amount of video players and 4k HDR upscalers with different upscaling nd HDR capabilities available in sony play store, can pick and choose and use in place of sony default player (even payed ones are close to free when you compare cost of TV). With LG, you are stuck with the default LG player which I felt was not in par with even sony's default player.
3.b) Very good collection of TV playable games available from app store. Though these are not for serious gamers, it is great for casual gaming. Again, games are dirt cheap compared to the playstation and xbox games. Supports all sony game controllers and other other android certified bluetooth controllers (which is pretty much everything except xbox controller I guess)

4) No cost cutting evident from sony. The USB playback difference in LG vs sony leaves a bad taste and leaves the question on there can be other compromises.

5) Sony's acoustic surface sound is wonderful and better than the dolby atmos (!!!) sound from C8

6) Sony AF8 is a sony flagship with all software and hardware components comparable to ZD9. LG C8 is the starting range of LG and price difference between the two is less than 10k. Actually AF8 can compare to E8 and above which are more costly.

7) LG C8's rear HDMI input placement is wierd and not thought through. HDMI ports face the wall and so will have an issue wall mounting (??). Sony A8F comes with a very good HDMI port placement and enclosed wire management system to hide all the wires in 4 different compartments. Can even place small components like fire TV, external HDD etc inside the compartments and close them during installation.

8) Though I saw C7 and C8 in different shops, I felt C7's picture processing is not up to the mark. C8 was vastly superior but it could be because of the difference in room placement. But had AF8 to compare against both and C7 felt vastly inferior in processing but C8 did a very good job in rendering images close to sony. C8 also felt a bit brighter (against both C7 and AF8 with same settings).

9) AF8 comes with 16GB internal memory for apps.

10) Android phones can directly control the sony TV. Much needed since the remote is crappy. Has inbuilt Chromecast also which LG does not have.

11) Sony supports sound only mode for streaming and hearing songs with internal or external speaker. Even USB flac playback is possible through app with picture swithced off, none of which is possible with the LG (Correct me if wrong).

Pros of LG C8.

1) Really liked the magic remote and navigation, but the apps are fixed. Sony remote is retro and buttons felt downright bad in comparison. TVs from other manufacturers have better remote for TVs costing 1/4th the price. Since it has voice command, cannot fully move to universal remotes like logitech harmony also. All in all, a toally disaster of a remote in a 2L/3L+ Tv. This is something you need to hold and use everyday and sony should do something about it.

2) Felt marginally bright against sony in in-store demo.

3) LG has bluetooth song playback which the sony does not have. (But since chromecast is there it is not really needed?? IMO, wifi generally and chromecast specifically has better sound and range than bluetooth, so this might not be a con per se)

With the above, the AF8 seemed a more well put together TV with flagship standards than the C8. The price differential is also <10k (7k for 55" in my case). IMO, this year sony sales would surpass the LG for the first time because of the above reasons.

Last edited:
BTW, Anyone in hyderabad needs a referral for sealed piece sony 55A1E for 1.88L, do let me know.
It is an awesome price but had to let go because of tilting towards the 65" which was not available in A1.

I dont know about current pricing. A few months back, the gap between the LG C7 and the Sony A1 55 inch was well over a lakh. While the PQ on the Sony was a bit better, the gap didnt really seem worthwhile. At Rs1.88l as you've quoted above, it would be worth considering.

I saw both the Sony and LG 2018 models at CES this year. The gap seems to have narrowed a bit this generation.

The biggest difference between the LG C8 and Sony AF8 is

1) LG is significantly brighter and hits almost 800 nits at 1% coverage. The sony barely hits 500-550. This is huge for HDR content which is now all pervasive thanks to Netflix and Amazon. Also AFAIK the Sony AF8 doesn't support HLG. This is a big deal when color gamut is expanded with HDR10+.

2) LG C8 has hardware calibration options. One can use a colorimeter to calibrate it just like you'd do with professional monitors. One can achieve deltaE less than 2 via this.

3) Sony doesn't have dynamic tone mapping that LG's C8 possesses. This is a huge deal with HDR10 content which is more common than Dolby Vision.

4) Android TV is a mess in comparison to LG's WebOS. Yes it has a lot of features but many things are terribly broken. Might be fixed in future though.

For usual HD video and non HDR content, the Sony will definitely be better as the A1 extreme chip is very very good with respect to motion. Nothing else is really in the same ballpark.

When I picked up my C7, the Sony OLEDs had not come in. My decision criteria was based on how well does 4K and HD content plays on it, particularly when played with a 4K player. After putting in the dough for such a nice TV, makes no sense in penny pinching on 4K player and watching upscaled content. Btw, the HDR content sparkles on my LG (watch LeMans on Prime) and while it may not be hitting the nit levels of an LED, it is plenty bright for me in my fairly sunny living room.

It has been more than a year and I am very happy with the TV. For the apps part, I rarely go beyond Youtube, Prime and Netflix - all of which are available. Hotstar is the only issue but then I had Chromecast so it is ok. For a noob like who will not manually calibrate the TV (and go with what is recommended on avsforum thread), I think the picture quality difference has to make significant sense for me to pay a premium. As for Sony charging a premium, part of it comes from a sense of entitlement that Sony carries from it's CRT heydays. Something akin to what Toyota does for its cars in India :)

When I picked up my C7, the Sony OLEDs had not come in. My decision criteria was based on how well does 4K and HD content plays on it, particularly when played with a 4K player. After putting in the dough for such a nice TV, makes no sense in penny pinching on 4K player and watching upscaled content. Btw, the HDR content sparkles on my LG (watch LeMans on Prime) and while it may not be hitting the nit levels of an LED, it is plenty bright for me in my fairly sunny living room.

It has been more than a year and I am very happy with the TV. For the apps part, I rarely go beyond Youtube, Prime and Netflix - all of which are available. Hotstar is the only issue but then I had Chromecast so it is ok. For a noob like who will not manually calibrate the TV (and go with what is recommended on avsforum thread), I think the picture quality difference has to make significant sense for me to pay a premium. As for Sony charging a premium, part of it comes from a sense of entitlement that Sony carries from it's CRT heydays. Something akin to what Toyota does for its cars in India :)

My buying decision has been pretty much on the similar lines. 4K, Dolby Vision content on Netflix is just amazing on my 65 C7. The Airtel DTH is used only for Cricket, FIFA and I do not find any issue with the moving balls for both of these sports. I see many comments being made about the motion being better for Sony, however I do not think Iam missing out on anything with my LG. The perception of Sony being better in my opinion is a success of their slick marketing.
Personally I find Andriod TV worse than a mess. Have used it through my Airtel Internet TV as well as Xtreamer. LG Web OS despite having limited content in terms of Apps works, yes I miss Hotstar too, but somehow do not want to spend on Chromecast as yet.
On the pricing front, MRP to MRP there is not much difference, but discounting is pretty high on LG even at their brand stores and I find no justification in paying that much extra unless you one is hung up on the Sony Brand.

I own LG C8 and I dont see any difference between Sony A8F and C8 except different approach in processing and rendering images. i went for LG just because of price point.

Both are great looking television in 2018.

Thanks
Badri M

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back