Sony TV conjured a double image problem with flickering horizontal lines.

dandysandy

Hello everyone,

I am new here and I am glad to have found this forum dedicated to AV in India. I also lurk in the home theatre subreddit, but that subreddit caters to US audience more. I wanted to share an issue I am facing and have your thoughts on the same.

My Sony X90J55 started to show the double image with horizontal lines flickering at the lower third part of the entire TV. Like in the image attached below.
You can also check the full video to get the clear picture of what is happening in the drive link below:

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Nb2m_LjE93RRFmTxWiPWWUcZmhDVn_8/view?usp=sharing

Now, I bought this TV in October 2021 and so far I have been enjoying all its glory. But since a couple of days this issue sprang up. I made a mistake of not getting an extended warranty expecting it to work flawlessly for at least 5 years, but the TV has better ideas.

I talked to Sony Service center and their service men mentioned display replacement for around 40k. Half an hour after the service men leave, I receive a call from their their superior saying that we can add extra warranty to your TV and make the necessary repairs for free. Now, keep in mind that I didn't buy extended warranty while purchasing the TV.

Does this sound fishy to you cause it sure as hell does sound fishy to me! As first of all they quote 40k INR for repairs and now suddenly the repairs are free? They must have decided to get good parts of my TV and put together mediocre ones and repair my TV to working conditions right? Only the catch was that I send the TV to service center.

I told them to carry out the necessary repairs at my home and they said it is not possible. So, I denied their free support. Call me old fashioned, but I believe that repairs done in the house in front of our eyes are better. Logically it does strike our minds that at service center will take our good parts and replaced them with mediocre ones. My family is in support of in home repairs too.

As an option, I did talk to a local repairman and he quoted around 20k to 30k INR for 3rd party screen/ display panel replacement.

I am sill on the fence on what route should I take going ahead? Also, I did see the taping method solution

for the problems similar to mine and they are basically free to do repairs without any replacement required. And now am not mentally prepared to spend 20-40k INR.

What do you guys think? Did any of you face similar issues? Please share your thoughts.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 19
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back