Speaker for Cambridge Audio Azur 550A, budget 40K

Shibashis,

Congrats for the New Member in the Audio Line. You might wait for Burn in Time and look for the options to improve. Pictures Please :)

There is a new update, terrible news...

Usher V601 and Cambridge Audio Azur 550A has decided to call off their wedding, I heard whispers of them not being compatible enough. This is disappointing for all concerned, they will not walk off into the sunset after all, not be cozy in their arms anymore....sniff...sniff....I tried to meddle and see them sense (as much as I hate to agree they are not compatible), but they are firm in their ways.

Azur being the proud and steadfast male that he is, has decided to leave and pursue his suitors somewhere else.

I invite solicitations for my beautiful Ushers, Marantz anyone? What say you? :)

Jokes apart, the combination is proving to be too shrill, bright. It is not a good combination, while revealing and detailed lacks the pleasure of listening.
I am going to let my Cambridge Audio go, right now Ushers are hooked to my Sonodyne amplifier. Definitely not as refined and with much less class but still it is a more neutral combination and so tolerable.
I heard the Ushers at demo with Marantz and Arcam, can not afford an Arcam so will try for Marantz. Pity hifimart does not ship to Kolkata, it is a very tempting offer that they have.

Sorry that the combo didn't workout for you. From what I've been told, a pre-power combo works best for the V series.

Well...can not afford a pre-power at the moment unless it is say from Norge, is that the way to go or better of with a proven integrated?

talk to odyssey on this forum or ARN Systems - Sridhar reddy. Nice gent.

Maybe he will tell you what matches well with the V601.

but do try the following :-

borrow a pair of good interconnects
borrow a good pair of speaker cables - more experienced FM's wil chip in as to the composition - but not silver...

try to re-balance the sound that way.

the usher is less sensitive but in a small - medium room the 60W of your CA should be ok.

thats the tech part.. but the compatibility part... your ears are the best judge..

try the above suggestions and dont give up so easy..

regards

contact some more kolkata FM's .... have them come over for tea and a session with yor rig.

you will get ideas..

work it thru..

mpw

Yet another update and things keep on unraveling,

The combination of CA and Usher seemed poor, all the while I was playing music from my Dell laptop as the source, and a Fiio E07K as the DAC. At one point the speakers started making a noise like zzzzzz.....and for the lack of better word it seemed low frequencies were getting 'split', it was a weird sound that you get from very low quality Rs 500 amplifiers and similar crap speakers. I was scared to my life. I bought the amplifier used and so mortified that there was something wrong with it.

I switched from speaker A to B.
I switched inputs on the amplifier.
I switched power cords / sockets.

Still the dreadful noise would not go away. I plugged in the Dali Zensors, same occurrence.

Keeping everything same (laptop, Fiio DAC, cables, speakers), I used the Sonodyne amplifier instead of CA, and everything was alright. Music was as it should be, beautiful, warm and balanced, definitely lacked the refinement of CA but there was no unwanted noise or disturbance.

Conclusion: I have been sold a faulty device in the garb of trust that we have here for forum members, I was crestfallen to be honest.

Then I decided to give one last go, I played music now through my HTC to the CA, and wow! There is no noise, beautiful punchy, rhythmic sound from speakers, just beautiful. I checked, double checked with different inputs, speakers A and B, it just played amazing. Relief, CA is alright and even more comfort in the fact that it was an honest transaction after all through HFV.
To dispel the last little residue of doubt I played with my iPod, great music, nothing is wrong at all. Plug in the Fiio and play from laptop, it all goes awry.
So the Fiio is the culprit, but the same Fiio does wonderfully with Sonodyne and Ushers.

Where do I go from here? Since PC is my source I do need a DAC.
Most importantly I am just relieved that my CA is alright and does play nice with the Ushers, I had to tweak the tone controls a little but it does sound nice, perhaps not as silky smooth as the Marantz but I am happy.

Why would the Fiio behave so oddly with CA and then be perfectly alright with Sonodyne? Anyone has answers?

It is the same cable that I have always been using a Bandridge 3.5mm to 3.5mm mini stereo cable.
The cable did not change at any point, and Fiio and Sonodyne performed just properly with the same cable in place.

Try to work with a new cable...I remember I had a cable with an incorrect solder and it hummed..

Mpw

But it its OK..then the answer will lie elsewhere..

Try to see if anyone will lend u a good DAC to visualise the
Path forward... An audiogd would be nice...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back