Speaker level Sub output

AudioHDR

The primary question I have is: How do subwoofer speaker level outputs work in AVR's?
I have a Yamaha HTR 2064 which came along with the YHT 196 package. The package included a passive sub woofer which connects to the AVR's subwoofer output using speaker level connections. Since then, I have upgraded my speakers and now drive an active sub using the AVR's LFE out port along with passive sub woofer still connected to the speaker level connection. Not surprisingly, the passive sub is hardly noticeable when its powered counterpart is on. But what I feel is that the passive sub's output seems to have gone down too! I wonder if it is something technical or just the impression the active sub has had on my hearing senses? Does anybody have similar experience or using a similar set up? If yes, what settings/ cross over do you use?
I was under the impression that if I select the Sub woofer "Yes" on the AVR, all LF signals are passed on to the LFE out, while the speaker level sub out put gets more or less every frequency (not limited to LF). What surprised me (pleasantly) is that selecting the Sub woofer "No"/ "Yes" switches off/ on both the subs. Does the AVR send LF only signals to the sub woofer speaker level connections too or it just sends everything and the sub plays what it can?

Last edited:
Once you have connected to the lfe on the sub, all signals of lfe will be directed to the sub. in your avr settings, the speakers selection should be small then all lfe signals are sent to sub. Since you have purchased active sub, you need to connect only one sub and you could remove the passive sub from the speaker circuit.

Once you have connected to the lfe on the sub, all signals of lfe will be directed to the sub. .
I was under the same impression, but as it stands the AVR is driving both the active and passive subs. I am not expert enough to individually measure the outputs, but all I can say is that they WORK. :eek:hyeah:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back