Speaker matching advice: For Onkyo HT-R340 AV Receiver

narenvaidee

Hi,

I have an old Onkyo HT-R340 AV receiver, and would like to use it purely for music listening.

I would like to get some advice on selecting a good pair of speakers for the same. I'm copy/pasting the AVR's technical specs for your reference:

• Rated Output Power North American (FTC): (FL, FR, C, SL, SR)100 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, at 1 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 1%
  • Maximum Output Power Asian (JEITA): 6 ch 120 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1ch driven
  • Dynamic Power 180 W + 180 W (3?, Front), 140 W + 140 W (4?, Front), 95 W + 95 W (8?, Front)

I know I wouldn't get the refinement I may get from a pure stereo amp, but this is the AVR that I've in hand. Please suggest some music-oriented good bookshelf/tower speakers within the Rs. 20,000 range.

Note: This AVR lets you select the cross-over frequency when only two speakers are connected.

Thanks in advance!

--Naren

Some time back I have paired PSB B6 with onkyo HT and it was turned out to be one of the best combination. But you may need to stretch your budget.

Some time back I have paired PSB B6 with onkyo HT and it was turned out to be one of the best combination. But you may need to stretch your budget.

Not sure if I can get PSB within my budget (around 15k max). So exploring used speakers, following are some in the market:
1. Paradigm
2. Infinity SM85
3. JBL monitors
4. PSB alpha series
5. Mission, MS and Tannoy

When I listen to these paired to different amps in the 'used showroom', I get way too confused :mad:

Just to put an end to this, I'm seriously considering getting a Topping TP22 and Cambridge S30. Phew!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back