Speaker package recommedation

eg101

I've recently purchased on Yamaha RXV675 (from outside India). I'm looking for some guidance on 5.1 speaker package.

I've taken demo of Bose (Acoustimass 6), Jamo (A101), Heco (Ambient 5.1) Harman Kardon (HKT-S5), JBL (Cinema 500), Klipsch. Since I'm not an expert yet, during my first visit I didn't carry my own music source. All the stores played their own demo video (Mostly Avatar, Pearl Harbour, 7 years in Tibet). Out of these I liked Jamo, Harman Kardon, JBL (frankly I could not differentiate between Harmon Kardon and JBL much - played same movie in same shop with same receiver). Since it's my first visit to any HT store, my liking/disliking could be confusing.

So I'm requesting your expert suggestions.
- Which all brands should I explore? And which model?
- I see many recommend Boston Acoustics. How's that brand?

I'll be playing both music and movie. Please guide me. My living room size 20'x15'. Budget is around 30-40k for the speaker. Please suggest. If needed I can go with 2 front and center speakers now and buy remaining ones later.

Also it'll be good if any of you can suggest which all store should I visit in Bangalore? I've checked Bose store, Cinepolis, Harman Kardon/JBL store, ProFX so fa - all are in Phoenix Market City mall. I also plan to visit HTStore @JP Nagar.

Also, let me know how are Yamaha speakers (NS-P40 etc.)? Wharfdale (where can I get this in Bangalore)? Cambridge Audio (again where can I explore this in Bangalore)?

Congratulations for your fine AVR!
I believe you will not be doing justice to it with speakers in your stated budget especially in your largish room. Listen to set-ups upto 1 lac or even more and see if you like something you would want to save up for. Many forum members have built up their systems in stages. It might be better for you to do the same. Get fronts and centre now. Later add a sub and still later the surrounds.
There are so many options in Bangalore. Check out Q Acoustics, Dali Zensor 1, Tannoy, Quad Lite. Ideally take your amp with you and some movies and music also.

Congratulations for your fine AVR!
I believe you will not be doing justice to it with speakers in your stated budget especially in your largish room. Listen to set-ups upto 1 lac or even more and see if you like something you would want to save up for. Many forum members have built up their systems in stages. It might be better for you to do the same. Get fronts and centre now. Later add a sub and still later the surrounds.
There are so many options in Bangalore. Check out Q Acoustics, Dali Zensor 1, Tannoy, Quad Lite. Ideally take your amp with you and some movies and music also.

Thanks for your expert opinion :) - after going through some old threads and as you've suggested, it appears to me it's worth exploring to build it in stages. Btw, where in Bangalore I can explore the brands which you've suggested?

Q Acoustics - babblergroup.com. Go to the speaker sites and you will find the dealer/distributor details.

Check Wharfedale MS-100 HCP and Boston Acoustics A2310 HTS. Both are complete 5.1 package in the budget mentioned by you.

I you will be using this system for music too. Go for separates and build slowly, like you have mentioned. In that case look at these options for LRC

Wharfedale 10.1 + Wharfedale 10CS
Boston A26 + A225C
Q-Acoustics 2020i + 2000Ci
Monitor Audio Bronze BX1 + MR-Centre
Boston A250 + A225C

Have more audition, you will find speakers much better than those mentioned in the first post.

With such a competent AVR , you should build up a system slowly. No speaker package in 40k would do justice to this Yamaha AVR. First buy 2 front speakers , preferably bookshelves as others have listed out. Then buy a good sub, & then centre. Surrounds can be the last purchase.
Three speakers which I can recommend are:
Monitor audio R90.
B&W M1.
PSB Imagine mini.
All three are quiet compact & can be wall mounted , still are very capable performers. Infact R90 & M1 are really small at about 8 - 9 inches only & can be bought separately as single pieces.

For sub, I will recommend the wharfedale sw150 or the Velodyne impact 10 or 12.

But the rule of thumb is to audition each component yourself.
Cheers

Just an update: Initially I ordered Monitor Audio BX2 as I liked that. But after waiting for almost 4 months, the distributor could not deliver it to the seller (Audio Planet in Bangalore). Because of this I got suspicious on after sales service of Monitor Audio if need arises. After going through another round of demo, I picked up Concept 20, 2000Ci series from Q Acoustics.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back