Speaker spikes

nandac

Hey all, I just landed a used set of Totem Arros at a throwaway price. Superb condition as well.

This is my first set of floorstanders and couple of questions :

There is a base which attaches to the speaker. There is a set of spikes and i put them in by hand into the base. But the spikes don't screw in fully (no bad jokes please!) into the base. They go in like 70% with some threads still visible. So on the carpet the base is slightly - like a centimeter - above ground. Is this right? Or should I be using some plier to push them in fully?

The speakers themselves sound great.

I was going to buy a naim nap-100 as i thought my naim unitiqute would not drive the arros well - but the unitiqute seems to be doing a decent job. But the curiosity whether the higher powered nap-100 will make it sound better still lingers!

Appreciate any insights.

And these are slim towers. So I am kind of scared that my four year old son always running around knocking things down will - knock them down. I am wondering if I should bind these to the tv stand in some way where they can be secure. Any ideas regarding this?

There would be no purpose to the spikes if they got screwed in completely.
In fact, they are meant to couple the speaker to a carpeted floor, with adjustment to each spike to get the balance firm, so that sound vibration does not cause the speaker to wobble.
The toppling-by-child is something no speaker manufacturer can protect against, except those models that weigh a ton. :)

come on - ofcourse the spikes are not supposed to go fully in. I meant that the thread part of the spike which is like half the length is not fully going in.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back