SPENDOR - the search has begun

AudioGugu

I'm looking to demo Spendor speakers (A or D Floorstander models) in Bengaluru.
Would appreciate Spendor dealer information or invitation from kind FMs who own the speakers to help me get a few hours of listening to understand if these would suit my ear.

Cheers
AG

Audio Lounge in Taj West End has some Spendor speakers on demo
Thanks for the information Jai

Any FMs here own a pair of A4, A7 or D7/D7.2
Or who might have heard more than one of these at any point of time and can break down their listening experience for us, that would be great.

Any FMs here own a pair of A4, A7 or D7/D7.2
Or who might have heard more than one of these at any point of time and can break down their listening experience for us, that would be great.
there are quite a few in here. pls search for spendor keyword and you can contact the owners over a pm.
audio lounge is currently carrying classic 3/5. must listen if you are into that kind of sound. they keep getting newer models so good to keep in touch.
i also remember a gentleman selling A5R on OLX out of Delhi. I was considering it so have his name and ph#. do pm me if you would want to get in touch.
also, hit up @vijwilso. he too is from BLR and knows a thing or two about spendors. he can also give you comparisons between A/D/Classic lines.

there are quite a few in here. pls search for spendor keyword and you can contact the owners over a pm.
audio lounge is currently carrying classic 3/5. must listen if you are into that kind of sound. they keep getting newer models so good to keep in touch.
i also remember a gentleman selling A5R on OLX out of Delhi. I was considering it so have his name and ph#. do pm me if you would want to get in touch.
also, hit up @vijwilso. he too is from BLR and knows a thing or two about spendors. he can also give you comparisons between A/D/Classic lines.
Thanks Abhishek, that was very helpful.
I'd totally appreciate if you can pm me the gentleman's phone no. selling the A5r.
Cheers.
Shaz

Do check out the Classic series in addition to the A and D series. The Classic 2/3 is very good and within budget if you are considering the D7 anyway. It has a markedly different presentation than the D series which to me while good and modern does not sound like the classic full bodied organic Spendor/Harbeth sound many people expect to hear when considering these brands.

Audio Lounge @ the Taj also had the Classic 2/3 in addition to the 3/1 and A4 till a few weeks back for demo. Not sure if the 2/3 is still in Bangalore.

Audio Lounge @ the Taj also had the Classic 2/3 in addition to the 3/1 and A4 till a few weeks back for demo.

@vineetrad, can you please elaborate on your differential experience of listening to the 2/3 and the 3/1? In what ways were they similar and dissimilar to each other? To whom will you recommend one over the other?

Do check out the Classic series in addition to the A and D series. The Classic 2/3 is very good and within budget if you are considering the D7 anyway. It has a markedly different presentation than the D series which to me while good and modern does not sound like the classic full bodied organic Spendor/Harbeth sound many people expect to hear when considering these brands.

Audio Lounge @ the Taj also had the Classic 2/3 in addition to the 3/1 and A4 till a few weeks back for demo. Not sure if the 2/3 is still in Bangalore.
Thanks @vineetrad , I intend to pay AUDIO Lounge a visit sometime soon. Do let me know if you wanna tag along.

@vineetrad, can you please elaborate on your differential experience of listening to the 2/3 and the 3/1? In what ways were they similar and dissimilar to each other? To whom will you recommend one over the other?

The 3/5 is sealed and small so makes room placement easy and is relatively easier to integrate with a sub. 3/1 is larger but also back ported. 2/3 is front ported. The 3/1 and 2/3 besides the differences in scale, bass extension, etc due to size of the cabinets and drivers have a similar sound. I would prefer the 2/3 over the 3/1 if you have a decent sized room and space from the walls. I didn't in the room I have them in and I prefer sealed cabinet small speakers therfore I have the classic 3/5.

Managed to spend some time on the phone with @vijwilso , I must say he really is veey patient and helpful. Spoke about what he owned and what he had heard, I managed to get quite a perspective on the differences between the Classic, A and D line.
For now, auditioning is the way to go.

The 3/5 is sealed and small so makes room placement easy and is relatively easier to integrate with a sub. 3/1 is larger but also back ported. 2/3 is front ported. The 3/1 and 2/3 besides the differences in scale, bass extension, etc due to size of the cabinets and drivers have a similar sound. I would prefer the 2/3 over the 3/1 if you have a decent sized room and space from the walls. I didn't in the room I have them in and I prefer sealed cabinet small speakers therfore I have the classic 3/5.
Thanks. Can you advise which use case or user preference would the 3/1 serve better?

I managed to get quite a perspective on the differences between the Classic, A and D line.
Can you please share the same here? Thanks.

Thank you @vineetrad This was a fair overview of the 3 speakers mentioned.
I have a feeling I might be more inclined towards the D Line, but might not have the moolah for it

Update:
On a recommendation from a FM, I happened to go meet a very fine gentleman who is not on the forum.
(Let's call him Mr SA5, cause he owns a pair of Spendor A5 speakers )
The A5 were a spare pair and not in use for a while. We hooked them up to his Parasound Amplifier + Preamp(model I can't remember) and a chord cutest DAC fed by a CA cxn V2 streaming via Spotify.

Right from the word go, the Spendors were engaging, had good clarity and just enough bass (being a 2.5 way speaker) but no room filling.
The speaker was detailed, had rythem but definitely has its own sound. They were not bright in anyway while paired with the gear mentioned above.
I decide not to go ahead with the deal as the sound was not what I'm searching for, but that doesn't mean the speakers weren't fun to listen to.
I'm glad I was introduced to Mr SA5 and got a chance to listen to his gear.
In case someone here is interested in those speakers, you are most welcome to pm me for details and I can connect you to the owner.
The cosmetic condition of the speakers were ~ 7/10.

That said, the search is still on
Cheers.
AG

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back