Squeezebox Touch Volume Level

aashish351

Greetings!

Although this is my first thread, I have been regularly following this useful forum for a long time. Thank you for the wealth of information and wisdom you all have contributed here.

My problem is regarding the Squeezebox Touch's volume level while playing lossless FLAC files from a USB hard disk. I have a growing number of FLAC files ripped from CDs using Mediamonkey. I have noticed that when playing the CD through my Bose Lifestyle 48, the volume level of the tracks is considerably louder than playing the same tracks in the FLAC format through squeezebox touch. To eliminate whether the problem is in the DAC stage, I connected the squeezebox also through Optical In of the Bose System thereby comparing the Squeezebox file transport to the CDPs transport. But, the difference remains. Not that it is a major difference, but certainly noticeable in A - B listening. I have also ensured that "No Volume Management" option is also selected in SBT so that the transport does not try to apply any ReplayGain.

Why don't I just increase the volume on the amp? Yes, that is what I need to do in order to listen to the same tracks at equal volume, but I feel that it gives a perception of slightly inferior sound quality because a louder signal always gives a perception of a more energetic delivery.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I just trying to split hair here!

I think that different sources give different output voltage and hence different volume.

Amplifiers with electronic control often [? at least two of my three have] provide facilities to "balance" this difference so that it is not noticed when changing source.

Can you check this another way by using your PC as source? Playing both the FLAC and the CD with Squeeze centre? I think an addon is needed for it to play from the CD drive.

That's a good suggestion! It crossed my mind too! only issue, this will require a HDMI to SPDIF / Optical converter. Like I said, I am trying to keep the DAC stage common in both cases (and would like to for PC also).

I imagined that the Output voltage should not be different till before the DAC stage for different sources and the Output voltage of the DAC's Line out after the D/A conversion should decide the volume level!

Could you tell me what are the two electronics you are using with this "balance" feature?

Thanks again!

Probably expressed that badly. Appeal for help for the right technical term... anybody? I'd have to dig for the manual, but it goes something like: hold down the source select button on the amplifier, adjust the volume, release button, and the amp will remember the difference you just adjusted on that particular source.
only issue, this will require a HDMI to SPDIF / Optical converter.
Squeezebox is a network device: are you not using network connection (wired or wifi) from your PC?

I am using SB as a media player with local USB playback - No network, only internet for updates and radio. Don't feel like running a PC for playing music everytime.

I have read in another forum that, while playing SB through an external DAC, the perception of lower output level of FLAC files through SB as compared to a CD Player is faced by others as well. A suggestion is to rip using EAC or dBpoweramp. Another explanation is that, output level of SB is 1.7V whereas most CD players are at 2V. Which still doesn't explain the problem because, that should be an issue when line out of SB is used in comparison to CD Player. When using the digital out through the same CD player, the same DAC is used for the CD as well as the FLAC from SB and the output level should not be different!

I think a crash course in sound electronics is in order here!

Yes, that can be done. One SB will be the server and the others will be clients and PC is not required to run at all. You need to connect the USB HDD to one of the SBs and let it index the files and then you start the squeezebox server on the unit.

I am using SB as a media player with local USB playback - No network, only internet for updates and radio. Don't feel like running a PC for playing music everytime.
OK, I had wondered if you were using a PC. To me (have a Duet) the Squeezebox's prime purpose in life is a network player. You are choosing some of the Touch's functionality, that the Duet does not have, as your personal reason for owning it.

Now for a A really Silly Question

(but not asking them as led to many a forehead-thumping moment in my life)

The Touch is running Squeezecentre on its own interface, right? Is the volume setting in Squeezecentre at maximum?

ok... it was a silly question, but I had to ask :) And the fact of the two digital outputs to the same DAC giving such a difference was what made me think of it.

I am using a AC powered Seagate 1 TB External HDD. Don't use a portable USB powered HDD, it will give problems. I faced that issue. Ever since I shifted to a AC powered external HDD, it has been a breeze!

with NAS, you need a Squeezebox server capable NAS to stream tracks to the player. Internal HDD through a casing might be the culprit. Try a friend's AC powered external HDD from WD, Seagate etc. and see if you have the same problem. I have not tried an internal HDD through a casing.

This is the only thing I know about wifi and signal strengths: check the exact line of "sight". A wifi signal passing straight through a wall or ceiling has a lot less concrete/brick to get through than one passing through at an angle. Sometimes even a small position change can make a lot of difference.

I think Apple airport express base station has a repeater mode. Its a small plug mounted router... read through its specs to make sure.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back