Steraming Budget Home setup help

misterkapoor

Hello Everyone,

Great to be here. Have been spending a lot of time here lately and signing up seems long overdue. Hope to learn more and hopefully also contribute in future.

My last stint with Audio was back in 2010 ( i think) when I got an install done in my car. Was really great (great SQ I thought) while it lasted but turned out to be a bittersweet experience. Got front components (5 inch) and a sealed Sub (10 inch) with a 120 W 4 channel Mosconi Amp. Mustve spent around 60K on the whole thing in my tiny car and was very happy with it. Worked well for about 2-3 years after which the amp started giving me problems. Took many visits to my installer but the issue could not be resolved and I gave up on the whole thing.

Maybe a tiny old car in our kind of weather isnt the best place for an audio setup.

Well have been bitten by the bug again this time I want to try and setup a stereo gig for my home. My usage is going to be for streaming music from Apple music also have my TV's sound thru this setup.

The current Covid situation isnt condusive to going out too much (so info overload on the internet) and my options seem to be:

Option 1. To build a system around Allo Boss 1.2 player with a Volt+D amplifier. I could not find any youtube reviews for the Volt+D although the Boss 1.2 seems to have some good reviews. I was in touch with Allo's team in Bangalore and they have been very prompt and helpful in responding to my queries. I read a recent audiosciencereview for the Allo Volt+D. These 2 from fabtolab will cost me around 16K If I dont factor in the PSUs for both the boss and the volt +D, but it seems the PSUs are a pretty big part of the deal, if I want the best SQ. The Nirvana SMPS will cost an additional 3K for the boss and a 24V PSU is recommended for the Volt+D to get the full juice out of it. However I have a 19V lying around for the Volt+ D and could start with the basic 5V PSU for the boss, because I want to start cheap.

Although I cant do high volumes in rented accommodation anyway, I read that an amp must give more that the top power rating of the speaker. Considering that this is a budget class D amp, my questions are:
a) What speakers would suit here under a 25K budget? If I can manage something upto 20K (JBL Stage A 130 or something used maybe?) I may be able to manage the whole thing under 35-38K (with cables etc but without speaker stands)
b) What kind of SQ can I expect? Could users of the Volt+D and Boss combo please provide some reviews.

Option 2: I was aiming for a certain SQ in my car audio setup (have not heard many good setups) and I was happy with what I had. If the option above does not give me good SQ, the usual advice is to spend the max money/effort on selecting speakers. And if Im spending 22K (atleast including PSUs) with Allo, might as well stretch a bit and go with something like a WXA 50 (35K), from a big name company which appears to be a good, small (i like compact) streamer/DAC/Amp for 34K which will give me more flexibility/ reliability?

What do you people think? Iv read too much on the internet and also read that speaker stands and the room characteristics are also important so it just seems too confusing/overwhelming for a newbie.

Wait a few days and I'll tell you what the Allo Volt+D can and cannot do.
I have procured/borrowed a unit from a friend for a few days of tryout and comparison to AB amps at home.

Cheers,
Raghu

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back