Stereo Amp on Budget : Vintage or Class T

Here is an update.
I added a simple two stage tube preamp with a 12AU7( ECC82) tube at the input of the preamp. This is not considered to be a very linear tube compared to several others that are available. However I had it and it is/was used by some preamp manufacturers.
The combination sounds very nice and there is hardly any degradation due to hiss and hum. Since it is a feedback less design and running wide open, it will add noise and hum to the SMSL50 which by itself is totally noiseless.
I can now hear faint hum and slight hiss right at the speaker drivers. From two feet away nothing is audible.The preamp has an ac heater which does often introduce some hum compared to a dc heater supply though it is quite low. I'll need to measure all this later on.
Right now the SMSL50 sounds terrific.Fantastic value for money. It's night time here and I'm still playing it pretty loud. Tomorrow I'll play it still louder till it clips and see what happens ! Earlier it appeared to be a bit lightweight in the bass but now with the preamp it sounds fine.

Reviving a thread on small but powerful t class / d class amps.
I shifted from my NAD 3240PE to Dayton DTA 100 T amp four years back. What an amp. Clean sounding, excellent bass extension, satisfactory mids and smooth treble. Although there was a statutory warning - Not to drive 4 ohms load - I use the amp succesfully for driving my 4 ohms Bose 401 Floorstanders with no problems. It is however a discontinued model replaced by a newer & powerful DTA 120 Wanted to buy a full digital D Amp with digital inputs. And i shortlisted 4 of them FX-Audio D802C, SMSL Q5PRO, ALIENTEK D8 & I.AM.D V200 WiFi. Finally I finalised I.AM.D V200 with WiFi. It has arrived yesterday. Still in testing phase. Tremendously powerful amp and very clean sounding with Remote. It costed me around 10000/- (140USD). I recommend this to anybody intending to buy similar device.
Regards
Partha

Reviving a thread on small but powerful t class / d class amps.
I shifted from my NAD 3240PE to Dayton DTA 100 T amp four years back. What an amp. Clean sounding, excellent bass extension, satisfactory mids and smooth treble. Although there was a statutory warning - Not to drive 4 ohms load - I use the amp succesfully for driving my 4 ohms Bose 401 Floorstanders with no problems. It is however a discontinued model replaced by a newer & powerful DTA 120 Wanted to buy a full digital D Amp with digital inputs. And i shortlisted 4 of them FX-Audio D802C, SMSL Q5PRO, ALIENTEK D8 & I.AM.D V200 WiFi. Finally I finalised I.AM.D V200 with WiFi. It has arrived yesterday. Still in testing phase. Tremendously powerful amp and very clean sounding with Remote. It costed me around 10000/- (140USD). I recommend this to anybody intending to buy similar device.
Regards
Partha

I'd love to read your review of the new amp that you have picked up. Do keep us posted!

@niccolewis
Thanks for your comments. I would really like to share my experience of the amp after a few days of listening. But reviewing an amplifier is difficult going into all those technicalities. Even then I will try.

Sent from my CP8298_I00 using Tapatalk

Help on stereo amp, dac & floor standers requested

Hi All,

I just joined the forum with this being my first post.

Thus far I own very basic Marshal Hanwell anniversay edition Boxed integrated speakers and also Swans M200mkiii 2.0 speakers in different rooms.

Need to upgrade to a good 2.0 Floor standing Stereo Speaker System setup for pure music listening.

I am getting a new Marantz PM8005 amp for INR 46000!

This would be my starting point, entire system buld up may take time!

1) Is it a good startup AMP to drive two good speakers with decent bass (no sub woofer I would add) OR could pick anything better in that price band (Pound 560)...I like warm sound but considerable bass..i heard MarantZ PM8005 doesnt deliver good bass???

Suggestions please

2) What Compatible Floor Standers would you recommend ...say 1.2 lacs max for speakers ...

3) As I travel a lot nternationally, what DAC for ths setup do you recommend ?

Thanks in advance,

Jeevit

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back