Stereo Amplifier for Polk Audio Monitor 70 speakers

ManishW

Hi,

This is my second post in this forum. I do however keep going thru the posts regularly and must admit that they are very informative. If it wasnt for the knowledge gained from this forum I would have gone and purchased the first thing the shop salesman would have recommended.

I have a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70 speakers (2 yrs old). I have been running these using an old Yamaha stereo amp (Made in Japan era). The amp is fantastic but lack of remote and the fact that you guys keep discussing about these new fancy stuff has now forced me to go looking for a replacement. I am looking for stereo amplifier as will be using this for music only. I have narrowed down to the following options based on availablitly and budget. Suggestions other than these are also welcome but do keep in mind that 50k is the max i would go to, unless I get really lucky this Diwali ;)

Also if you do have a suggestion then price and source in Delhi will be much appreciated.

Cambridge Audio Azur 650A
Cambridge Audio Azur 740A
Yamaha A-S700
Denon PMA 1510AE
Marantz PM 7003
Marantz PM 8003

Thanks,
Manish

Anything more than a PM5003 for 20k would be an overkill for these speakers.

To go with PM7003 or higher you should have RTI/LSI/Monitor Audio RX/B&W 68x

Anything more than a PM5003 for 20k would be an overkill for these speakers.

To go with PM7003 or higher you should have RTI/LSI/Monitor Audio RX/B&W 68x
Techboy, you mean the speakers cant handle the power of pm7003 and above? Anything about 40w is too much?

I don't mean that. Monitor 70s are the inferior version of Polk TSI 400 which cost about 25-27k.

It doesn't make sense spending more than 20k for a receiver on a sub 30k speaker system.

If you want to spend 50k on the receiver, you should spend about 1 lac on your 2.0s to make the system more balanced and value for money.

If you have 50k to spend, I would say sell these speakers for like 15-20k and spend the balance 70k with 25-30k on the receiver and the rest on the speakers.

Any 30-40k speaker system which is good for its price will beat the crap out of these monitors especially for music.

I don't mean that. Monitor 70s are the inferior version of Polk TSI 400 which cost about 25-27k.

It doesn't make sense spending more than 20k for a receiver on a sub 30k speaker system.

If you want to spend 50k on the receiver, you should spend about 1 lac on your 2.0s to make the system more balanced and value for money.

If you have 50k to spend, I would say sell these speakers for like 15-20k and spend the balance 70k with 25-30k on the receiver and the rest on the speakers.

Any 30-40k speaker system which is good for its price will beat the crap out of these monitors especially for music.
Techboy, I see your point.

But then by that logic, one shouldnt even consider speakers like the ones from B&W which require amplification many times the price of the speaker, no?

If OP buys a good amp now, he can still use it when he upgrades his speakers for something better( as you say the Polk Monitor 70s are not worthy). Would he not have to change both otherwise?

If u r ready for pre-owned.....one of forum member(vinay) has put his CA840/850 on sale....plz check the Sale section and do contect him........

Thanks for the input guys. What I really need is some good advice on which amplifier to buy from the ones that I have listed or suggest something within my budget. I know the speakers are not top drawer and I may change them in future but as of now want to invest in a decent amp. Appreciate your time.

Hi Manish,

Have you been able to listen to any of the amplifiers listed by you with your Polk speakers and thereby narrowed down your choice? Dealers in several makes of amplifiers/other audio equipment and their addresses and telephone numbers in Delhi have been listed by various members in other threads. If you go through the threads and contact the dealers, many of them will be happy to arrange for an audition.

Lakozy Electronics and Services are at A 70, Lajpat Nagar II, New Delhi 110024. Their telephone number is 011 4683 8373. They are represented by Ashish Kesarwani whose mobile number is +91 99100 41260. He was most helpful in arranging an audition of NAD turntable, pre amplifier and amplifier fronted by PSB speakers for me the last time I was in Delhi. Who knows, you may be tempted by and fall for a NAD amplifier.

Best wishes for your search.

The Polks are usually very bright, pair them with something warm and laid back. From the ones you have listed, I would suggest the Marantz. They are very musical and a bit laid back, should go well with your Polks. You can even consider a NAD 320BEE (or a higher version) but this combination might be a bit brighter than the Marantz.

I have a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70 speakers (2 yrs old). I have been running these using an old Yamaha stereo amp (Made in Japan era). The amp is fantastic but lack of remote

Old Yamaha stereo amp (Made in Japan era)..... what is the model?
Old amps are rated to be far better to what is available currently. Just the lack of a remote may not be excuse enough of replacing it .... other than the availability of 50 K which NEEDS to be spent ... :D

Old Yamaha stereo amp (Made in Japan era)..... what is the model?
Old amps are rated to be far better to what is available currently. Just the lack of a remote may not be excuse enough of replacing it .... other than the availability of 50 K which NEEDS to be spent ... :D

I agree with the above. Old may not always be gold but it need not necessarily be trash to be thrown away at the first opportunity (cash in hand). Much of the old equipment, if produced today, would be far more expensive than it used to be when new. It may also sound better than many of the modern bells and whistles systems. Maybe you should look at the source, interconnects and speakers of your present system for possible upgrades...

Regards.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back