Stereo setup upgrade help !

sudeeps

Hi Fellow members,

Greetings. Hope all are doing good and keeping safe.
Lockdown has made me listen to more music (wfh perks maybe), and with that, upgrade itch is biting me. This is my current setup & music choices with room details -

Setup :
Marantz CDP 6007 -> Marantz PM 6004-> KEFQ300

Genres I listen to :

Tough one.
Classic Rock, Progressive rock, folks rock, blues, indie, old bollywood, 90s bollywood, country (for some lovely male vocals) & soft pop (with soothing female vocals - Katie Melua, Eva Cassidy sorts) & sometimes (very rare) a spin of Diana Krall CD :) ---- So wide variety and that makes it a tough life in this context :(

Also, I sense interest keeps changing with age, love for Dylan has increased many times over last 1-2 years, some change from hard rock towards more bluesy folksy rock !!

Space :
Limited, constrained, no dedicated music room, living room setup (listening area of 10*10 probably but as usual Indian apartment living, it opens into dining and fyoer etc. etc.)

Here is the picture of the size, layout with speakers marked (ignore the subwoofer, I don't have one)

1630653585799.png

I feel I want to hear more, hear better, hear "bit" warmer but without loosing the enjoyment of listening to a classic rock (Floyd/Zepp/King Crimson/Yes) and enjoy a 80s/90s bollywood album (Bazaar/Ghar/QSQT/Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman/Vansh etc.)

Something seems lacking (KEFQ300's are great and served me well, I am not too bothered by that so called 'shrill of the twitter', but I feel it's bit thin, doesn't feel full bodied per say and also probably it's just I am used to them and want something which might be if I may so, 'better'), so want to upgrade.

What are my options, should I upgrade speakers first or the amp (can't do both together but in stages, I am not rich and I am married :))?

Budget plan -

Speakers - Around 1L (if that' what it takes else prefer that 70-80K spot)
Amp - Around 1L (again, if that's what it takes)

PS - I am also thinking of biting the vinyl bullet, and it might happen sometime soon. Something about them, is drawing me towards...though it will be limited to essential albums as I have all the music I love on CDs and a bluesound/CXN is on the way...

"Apologies for a long post"

Looking for guidance. More so now, as audition is not feasible/tough druing these covid times.
This forum has been a guiding star from day 1 of my stereo journey and continues to do so....

Cheers !

Wear a mask and audition :) . You have quite a few showrooms around in Bengaluru or try home auditions which will give the right perspective in your listening environment.
Look around recent threads. Plenty have been suggested.

Happy hunting.

Wear a mask and audition :) . You have quite a few showrooms around in Bengaluru or try home auditions which will give the right perspective in your listening environment.
Look around recent threads. Plenty have been suggested.

Happy hunting.
Thank you. With two unfortunate deaths in the family due to covid, I don't think that's something I will be allowed to do so soon. Not for something which ain't considered a "necessity". So relying on the forum and experienced inputs as I fear this 'locked' mode is hear to stay for sometime.

I am browsing through other threads, wanted more specific input on upgrade to KEF Q300 (was thinking Wharfedale evo 4.2's but now after going through some of the other posts, doesn't seem to be the case, though I maybe wrong)

Cheers !

If changing components, get the speakers first, then go about the amp/IA (if needed)
Also, space is quite tricky in the layout. Any chance for swapping out dining and sofa spaces?
If you place the TV/speakers along the kitchen utility wall (and open the balcony door) first reflection point is taken care of.
Cheers,
Raghu

If changing components, get the speakers first, then go about the amp/IA (if needed)
Also, space is quite tricky in the layout. Any chance for swapping out dining and sofa spaces?
If you place the TV/speakers along the kitchen utility wall (and open the balcony door) first reflection point is taken care of.
Cheers,
Raghu

Sadly, swapping spaces is not an option. The cabinets designed are fixed and there is a wall mounted unit in the dining space :(

What should I look at?

Do check out Polk Audio L100/200 at ProFx.
I listened to L200 with my pre/pwr combo.
They sounded good to my ears.

If you can't audition now, please wait a bit. Live with your current setup for some more time.
No point putting down large monies without even a cursory listen.

Stands help moving speakers in/out to get a better response wrt room.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Fellow members,

Greetings. Hope all are doing good and keeping safe.
Lockdown has made me listen to more music (wfh perks maybe), and with that, upgrade itch is biting me. This is my current setup & music choices with room details -

Setup :
Marantz CDP 6007 -> Marantz PM 6004-> KEFQ300

Genres I listen to :

Tough one.
Classic Rock, Progressive rock, folks rock, blues, indie, old bollywood, 90s bollywood, country (for some lovely male vocals) & soft pop (with soothing female vocals - Katie Melua, Eva Cassidy sorts) & sometimes (very rare) a spin of Diana Krall CD :) ---- So wide variety and that makes it a tough life in this context :(

Also, I sense interest keeps changing with age, love for Dylan has increased many times over last 1-2 years, some change from hard rock towards more bluesy folksy rock !!

Space :
Limited, constrained, no dedicated music room, living room setup (listening area of 10*10 probably but as usual Indian apartment living, it opens into dining and fyoer etc. etc.)

Here is the picture of the size, layout with speakers marked (ignore the subwoofer, I don't have one)

View attachment 61667

I feel I want to hear more, hear better, hear "bit" warmer but without loosing the enjoyment of listening to a classic rock (Floyd/Zepp/King Crimson/Yes) and enjoy a 80s/90s bollywood album (Bazaar/Ghar/QSQT/Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman/Vansh etc.)

Something seems lacking (KEFQ300's are great and served me well, I am not too bothered by that so called 'shrill of the twitter', but I feel it's bit thin, doesn't feel full bodied per say and also probably it's just I am used to them and want something which might be if I may so, 'better'), so want to upgrade.

What are my options, should I upgrade speakers first or the amp (can't do both together but in stages, I am not rich and I am married :))?

Budget plan -

Speakers - Around 1L (if that' what it takes else prefer that 70-80K spot)
Amp - Around 1L (again, if that's what it takes)

PS - I am also thinking of biting the vinyl bullet, and it might happen sometime soon. Something about them, is drawing me towards...though it will be limited to essential albums as I have all the music I love on CDs and a bluesound/CXN is on the way...

"Apologies for a long post"

Looking for guidance. More so now, as audition is not feasible/tough druing these covid times.
This forum has been a guiding star from day 1 of my stereo journey and continues to do so....

Cheers !
sorry to hear bad news due to COVID..
Speakers are the one time investment so as u mentioned 1L for speakers thats good amt to buy premium speakers too.
U also worried abt Demo & buy & said more on music u can check Indiq Plantinum achal if Floorstanders or their Diamond Mishra if Bookshelfs bith very much praised by every buyer . moreover many outsiders who dont have options to demo & blindly bought are shared made the best decision opting for this speakers. Also ur 6007 can easily drive this speakers , i feel u will love ur music better .
Any point if u dont like this speaker u have 15 days return policy which helps u to get rid tensions of ur moeny, other best option is their upgrade plan if u buy now their diamond mishra worth 42Kpair & in year if u feel upgrade their platinum achals92K then u just need to pay extra 92K-42K=50K thats it. is this great to think of rite.
call Mr amit who can help u more on ur decision easy.

Regards
Naveen

Yes. IndiqAudio is a viable option.
Recently, many local FMs have acquired them.
Touch base with these FMs and check if you can listen to them in their homes with your gear.
It is relatively safer to audition at a home than showroom, maybe.

Cheers,
Raghu

Your dining area looks like the juiciest space to setup the stereo.

Take into consideration active speakers as well as it will avoid clutter and take the amp out of the equation.
For actives, you can look at Genelec, Dynaudio, KEF, Air Pulse, Swans, AudioEngine, ATC will be way above budget, KRK Rokit and some more.

You could do very well adding an active subwoofer to the setup as bookshelves are better in your listening space.

The Marantz is a pretty good amp. If you budget under 2 lakhs for speakers, KEF R3, Revels, Rosso Fiorentinaa, Chario, ProAC would be great choices for your existing amp.
In fact there are quite a few in that budget, but the above are some I have heard and superb at that price point.

Since you already have a good setup I would suggest to go for separate pre n power if at all you have to upgrade the amp.

Also you can think of full range speakers like Tannoy DMT or system or D series (Not sure about the currently available models). But for smaller rooms full range drives rock

Add a sub to your chain, and you will retrieve the Lacking part of the Music. Probably borrow one from a friend to test before pulling the trigger. If you insist on a speaker upgrade, the new Polk Reserve R200 is worth considering. It's damn good for that kind of money. INDIQAUDIO is another option; FMs speak high about their speakers (no personal experience, though). I believe they offer a home demo facility for Bangalore. Why not avail of that facility and give it a try?

Add a sub to your chain, and you will retrieve the Lacking part of the Music. Probably borrow one from a friend to test before pulling the trigger. If you insist on a speaker upgrade, the new Polk Reserve R200 is worth considering. It's damn good for that kind of money. INDIQAUDIO is another option; FMs speak high about their speakers (no personal experience, though). I believe they offer a home demo facility for Bangalore. Why not avail of that facility and give it a try?
The amp doesn't have pre/sub outs :( Otherwise I think that's a good suggestion. Will upgrading an amp and adding a sub help me extract more from these speakers? I wonder.....

Adding a sub extracts a bit more info on the low end.
In my rig this really helped "anchor" down the presentation.
If you are up to exploring subs, many models support speaker level or hi-level connect.
Cheers,
Raghu

The amp doesn't have pre/sub outs :( Otherwise I think that's a good suggestion. Will upgrading an amp and adding a sub help me extract more from these speakers? I wonder.....
You can look out for subs with high level connection, REL Rythmik, if you really want to add a sub without changing the amp. They work without pre/sub outs. They do make a difference, but I haven't heard KEFs.

You can look out for subs with high level connection, REL Rythmik, if you really want to add a sub without changing the amp. They work without pre/sub outs. They do make a difference, but I haven't heard KEFs.
REL(high level)+KEF=Awesome. You can't go wrong with REL.

Do consider Adrenal 1723 sub its now available in india worth for that price..
I do vote for REL 1205 & Rythmik brands too..i own rythmik & SVS as well & personally feel good but Adrenal is very well praised globally ..
i mean u chk & buy which evr u feel good to ur set up..

Do consider Adrenal 1723 sub its now available in india worth for that price..
I do vote for REL 1205 & Rythmik brands too..i own rythmik & SVS as well & personally feel good but Adrenal is very well praised globally ..
i mean u chk & buy which evr u feel good to ur set up..
Ardendals don't have high level connection, so won't work in the current scenario of the OP. But they do have fabulous feedback.

Do check out Polk Audio L100/200 at ProFx.
I listened to L200 with my pre/pwr combo.
They sounded good to my ears.

If you can't audition now, please wait a bit. Live with your current setup for some more time.
No point putting down large monies without even a cursory listen.

Stands help moving speakers in/out to get a better response wrt room.
Cheers,
Raghu
Rightly said. I also have the KEFQ300. After placing the speakers on proper stands, sound quality has improved many folds. Stereo separation is awesome. I also live in an apt like you, I was also not satisfied with my set up but this is past. I am enjoying music with heart now. Try it before investing a lot.

Cheers,
A K B

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back