Stereophile 2012 Records To Die For

jls001

See if you agree with the choices of the editors of Stereophile magazine:

2012 Records To Die For | Stereophile.com

Surprise inclusion, in my opinion:
1) PETER GABRIEL: New Blood (my CD copy of this albums sounds real bad)
2) LADY GAGA: Born This Way (I am not saying anything :indifferent14:)

Unsurprising inclusion, in my opinion:
1) ARNE DOMNERUS QUINTET: Jazz at the Pawnshop, Vol.1

See if you agree with the choices of the editors of Stereophile magazine:

2012 Records To Die For | Stereophile.com

Surprise inclusion, in my opinion:
1) PETER GABRIEL: New Blood (my CD copy of this albums sounds real bad)
2) LADY GAGA: Born This Way (I am not saying anything :indifferent14:)

Unsurprising inclusion, in my opinion:
1) ARNE DOMNERUS QUINTET: Jazz at the Pawnshop, Vol.1

I'm not surprised!
I've always felt ( about 90%+ ) of the people around Stereophile are more like Earthly kind - much interested in how the physics of sound work - like "hey! did you here that!!! - there was a 7 feet crowbar dropped on a couch!" ,Like, Does this track drive my amp and the Speakers nuts?
rather than the soulfulness of what and how this is being sung and what they mean and in what genre is this being presented or what the lyrics is about.

I'm glad they picked Lady Gaga. I played it at the Delhi meet but did not get a good reaction from people by playing her tracks so other tracks were played.

But Hands down, Gaga's monster, born this way and bad romance is to 2012 what Micheal Jackson's thriller album was to the 80's in technical prowess in mainstream music.

Audiophiles need to get with the times and recognize Gaga's recording quality. It's the new king, or rather..queen.

Last edited:
Interesting list. Some comments on the classical side - I love the Marc Andre Hamelin live at the Wigmore Hall discs.....superb music played by one of the foremost pianists alive today and a virtuoso wizard as well. Personally I don't like Primakov's Schubert, there are more classic versions that are well recorded too. Minkowski's Water Music is very good amongst many very good recordings and Andrew Manze is unfailingly interesting and often superbly recorded.
I wanted to add that if you cannot get the first vol of Jazz at the Pawnshop, you must get the second vol. which I like even more. It's also superb and a must hear if not a must have.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back