Streaming Device

sgmkumar1972

Hello,
I am currently using Wiim Pro as streamer to stream Spotify and Qobuz , if I go for next level of streaming device will improve SQ .

Kindly give your advice .

Thank you

How are you using the Wiim Pro? Are you using that as an Streamer + DAC or only the source?

If you are looking at just a source and have a nice/decent DAC - then perhaps not unless your budget is really high, you won't hear a difference. Even then I am not sure as it really depends on what you can really hear - I couldn't hear anything life changing in devices many times more expensive.

If you are looking at a streamer + DAC then you can do a lot better :)

I tried a bunch of streamers including Auralic, Lumin, Aurender, NAIM and some other high end stuff and a few budget contenders in Bluesound, Cambridge audio (CA) etc.

As a source only, I PERSONALLY really couldn't tell much difference in moderately priced setups - upto under 10L.

However the moment you engage the source + DAC, almost all brands are pretty solid, it will all boil down largely on your preference. Like there was a decent amount of difference between the sound of NAIM vs Aurender vs CA (That I could demo at the same place in the same setup). They all sounded different but pretty good. Surprisingly CA could do things great too, at 1/5th the price.

Yes a fancier device MAY improve SQ, but MAY not. However, it is a joy to look at the screen of something like the NAIM Unity ATOM HP edition, for me that would make the overall experience certainly better.

How are you using the Wiim Pro? Are you using that as an Streamer + DAC or only the source?

If you are looking at just a source and have a nice/decent DAC - then perhaps not unless your budget is really high, you won't hear a difference. Even then I am not sure as it really depends on what you can really hear - I couldn't hear anything life changing in devices many times more expensive.

I tried a bunch of streamers including Auralic, Lumin, Aurender, NAIM and some other high end stuff and a few budget contenders in Bluesound, Cambridge audio (CA) etc.

As a source only, I PERSONALLY really couldn't tell much difference in moderately priced setups - upto under 10L.

However the moment you engage the source + DAC, almost all brands are pretty solid, it will all boil down largely on your preference. Like there was a decent amount of difference between the sound of NAIM vs Aurender vs CA (That I could demo at the same place in the same setup). They all sounded different but pretty good. Surprisingly CA could do things great too, at 1/5th the price.

Yes a fancier device MAY improve SQ, but MAY not. However, it is a joy to look at the screen of something like the NAIM Unity ATOM HP edition, for me that would make the overall experience certainly better.
Thank for your reply ,

I am using Wiim Pro + Topping E 50 DAC .

So invest in DAC is better than Streamer .

Thank for your reply ,

I am using Wiim Pro + Topping E 50 DAC .

So invest in DAC is better than Streamer .
This is where I stand personally. A good digital source like the Wiim Pro should cover it all as far as your need is Streaming only. I would look elsewhere if I want to work with a large ripped collection, or require very specific features that Wiim Pro doesn't have.

Now what you should do - depends on what you want. As your needs & preferences are different than mine.

My current need is convenience - hence my MacBook attached directly to my DAC - streaming + work calls + youtube + GoPro videos etc. Simplicity for friends/family/parties + critical listening, hence the Wiim Pro.
****BTW Wiim Pro sounds much better than MacBook with the same DAC, so when I am listening critically I use the WIIM Pro.

This is where I stand personally. A good digital source like the Wiim Pro should cover it all as far as your need is Streaming only. I would look elsewhere if I want to work with a large ripped collection, or require very specific features that Wiim Pro doesn't have.

Now what you should do - depends on what you want. As your needs & preferences are different than mine.

My current need is convenience - hence my MacBook attached directly to my DAC - streaming + work calls + youtube + GoPro videos etc. Simplicity for friends/family/parties + critical listening, hence the Wiim Pro.
****BTW Wiim Pro sounds much better than MacBook with the same DAC, so when I am listening critically I use the WIIM Pro.
I have an idea before that high valve streamer sounds good than Wiim Pro,, after your explantion I ma going to be with Wiim Pro , Let I invest in good DAC when ever I have surplus money .

Thank you

I have an idea before that high valve streamer sounds good than Wiim Pro,, after your explantion I ma going to be with Wiim Pro , Let I invest in good DAC when ever I have surplus money .

Thank you
I won't make it that black & white - to be clear. I believe there are better streamers - much better streamers. But again, it depends on what your preference is. Just to clarify.

For me WiiM Pro for 14K odd as a digital source ONLY is doing perfectly fine without having to spend massive amounts for marginal differences. Do those marginal differences matter to you - you can only tell by listening them side by side. For me it was an easy decision, NO.

I would also like to tell you that Naim Uniti Atom HP edition, Auralic Altair were all sublime sounding, CXN V2 at 1/4 the price of these was a brilliant option too, albeit a bit less exciting, but fantastic nonetheless. I would pick any in a heart beat. But for me as a source only the SQ differences were not worth the cost difference. HENCE.

You are from Chennai, I am sure if you get in touch with some FMs they will be happy to invite you over to sample their setups. You can carry your Wiim Pro to compare side by side too. Your Mileage May Vary Vastly.

I won't make it that black & white - to be clear. I believe there are better streamers - much better streamers. But again, it depends on what your preference is. Just to clarify.

For me WiiM Pro for 14K odd as a digital source ONLY is doing perfectly fine without having to spend massive amounts for marginal differences. Do those marginal differences matter to you - you can only tell by listening them side by side. For me it was an easy decision, NO.

I would also like to tell you that Naim Uniti Atom HP edition, Auralic Altair were all sublime sounding, CXN V2 at 1/4 the price of these was a brilliant option too, albeit a bit less exciting, but fantastic nonetheless. I would pick any in a heart beat. But for me as a source only the SQ differences were not worth the cost difference. HENCE.

You are from Chennai, I am sure if you get in touch with some FMs they will be happy to invite you over to sample their setups. You can carry your Wiim Pro to compare side by side too. Your Mileage May Vary Vastly.
Yes , good idea to compare with other brand streamer with FM

Thank you

@chander Look what you've made him do chander....Sigh!!!😏
🤣 - I stand by my opinion though.
As a digital source ONLY Wiim Pro is pretty close to most fancy streamers. For that marginal difference (if audible) - for me the multifold price is not worth it. Considering my sources are Spotify/Tidal. So, well.

I have made it abundantly clear in many of my posts, that I may not be the right candidate for Audiophile opinions, as I can't hear half the things that many people claim to. I may also be too cynical to experience these subtle nuances. I also do not understand half the audiophile terms, airy, lush, liquid, palpable, organic and the likes.

I have friends, with whom I have sat sown to listen to a power cord for example and while they are going - goo goo about it, I just can't hear any difference.

Happy to know Iam not the only deaf one round here 🤣

Hello,
I am currently using Wiim Pro as streamer to stream Spotify and Qobuz , if I go for next level of streaming device will improve SQ .

Kindly give your advice .

Thank you
Please read about what Linear Power Supplies can do to these kinds of devices and if your budget permits, get an SBooster power supply for Wiim.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back