Strongest adhesive?

ontherocks

This is for a electronic equipment.
I would like to know the strongest adhesive used in such applications.
I have to stick two thin plastic rods. The contact area is small. The adhesive needs to be really really strong.

Last edited:
Good question.........I was hoping that atleast the equipment would be pertaining to A/V :)
Anyway.....

ELFY
Feviquick

does the trick for me....

Its part of an A/V equipment which sadly broke :(

Feviquick
Seriously...?

All Cyanoacrylate based adhesives are a joke in terms of strength. They are good only for instant bonding.

I am not talking about household adhesives. I am looking for specialty adhesives (read industrial strength).

This is for a electronic equipment.
I would like to know the strongest adhesive used in such applications.
I have to stick two thin plastic rods. The contact area is small. The adhesive needs to really really strong.
Cyanoacrylate is good for only few plastic material. For example it will not stick polyproplene. Work your way around make metal sleeve to hold two plastic rods together and use araldite. Can you post more details or Pics ?

I have used Araldite in the past. Didn't like its strength. Eventually the parts stuck fell apart. Most of my applications were for small contact area objects in equipment casings, like click-to-hold plastic tabs, plastic cylinders which holds casings via screw.

Schematic is attached. The plastic rods are part of a hinge which goes inside a hole of another object. Hence I can't use a metal encasement. Diameter of the rod would be approx 2mm.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Araldite is what I would have recommended too. Like Hiten mentioned, you may need some reinforcement.

A picture of what you are trying to do may help us help you better.

I have used Araldite in the past. Didn't like its strength. Eventually the parts stuck fell apart. Most of my applications were for small contact area objects in equipment casings, like click-to-hold plastic tabs, plastic cylinders which holds casings via screw.

Schematic is attached. The plastic rods are part of a hinge which goes inside a hole of another object. Hence I can't use a metal encasement. Diameter of the rod would be approx 2mm.
OK got some rough idea what you are making. still can't figure out "working" of the thing. Why cant you make it in one piece ? Is it because there are two separate components and first you will assemble them and join them by rod ?

Can you use single rod and join it at triangle ????
clipboard02pr.jpg

OK got some rough idea what you are making. still can't figure out "working" of the thing. Why cant you make it in one piece ? Is it because there are two separate components and first you will assemble them and join them by rod ?

No no.
The whole thing was one single piece of plastic. The blue rod is the hinge part which broke into two pieces. Now I want to join the broken blue rods together.

(More info: The single unbroken blue rod goes into a hole and the grey part rotates about the blue rod)

No no.
The whole thing was one single piece of plastic. The blue rod is the hinge part which broke into two pieces. Now I want to join the broken blue rods together.

(More info: The single unbroken blue rod goes into a hole and the grey part rotates about the blue rod)
alright. It will be difficult to get the same strength (just 2mm) as single one piece molded original. either replace it completely with metal one. what is attached at the 'other" end of this of broken rod. ? Also dont be in a hurry to fix it as I think this is delicate. can you post actual pics ?

What's the diameter of the rod?

Really, unless you have sufficient area, if this thing takes any strain at all, gluing is probably not on --- or it would need to be a kind of glue that melts the surface of the plastic, thus effectively welding the pieces rather than sticking.

Here's my other, crazy and tricky idea. Drill into the broken pieces with a small drill and insert a piece of steel (pin? needle?) which will then support the joint. It should be a loose fit, allowing space for glue around the steel. I just have no idea how one would accurately line up the holes.

This sort of break is so frustrating: good luck!

Best glue? My favourite is called JB Weld. It is like a plastic-metal-cum-epoxy-glue. You can use it as a contact adhesive, and/or you can build it up around the join and then file/sand it. I find it much more reliable than Araldite, but... available in India? I think it is American, and I have trouble finding it in London!

<Crossposted with hitensitapara...>

Good idea, if feasible. Even a wood dowel?

Best glue? My favourite is called JB Weld. It is like a plastic-metal-cum-epoxy-glue. You can use it as a contact adhesive, and/or you can build it up around the join and then file/sand it. I find it much more reliable than Araldite, but... available in India? I think it is American, and I have trouble finding it in London!

Hi Thad E Ginathom -

epoxysteel.jpg

By witchesofsound at 2010-05-18

this = JB Weld

and must be available at the "Dubai" stores in chennai.

It's certainly looks like the same kind of stuff, and you have much more building-stuff experience than I do, so I am happy to take your recommendation.

Happily, just now, I have one opened and two unopened packets of JB Weld in stock :)

Even JB Weld failed to hold together my wheely-suitcase pulling handle despite drilling it and inserting wire "staples" either side of the break. It managed a couple of trips, and by that time the rest of the case was disintegrating anyway.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back