Sub-Sat Speaker System for Yamaha RX-V 459 Receiver

VSG12777

Hi everyone

I may be picking up a used Yamaha RX-V 459 receiver soon (90W RMS per ch, 6.1 config). Due to the positioning of my hall door (which is also the main door to the flat), I am unable to go for floorstanders, though I was really impressed with the Jamo S506 speakers which I auditioned last week at Cinebels, Chennai.

My hall length would be around 25 feet, and width would be around 11 feet. We would be seated at a distance of about 17 feet from the wall where the plasma (50 inch) is going to be mounted and the surround speakers would be positioned at 18-19 feet on the side walls, above ear level. Wiring has been done accordingly.

I have hence decided to go for a good sub-sat system, maybe around the 30-35k max price range. This would take my total cost, with receiver to around 40-45k. Based on the many threads and posts I went through in the forum, I have shortlisted the following as the best speaker sets in that price range:

Wharfedale Movie Star 65 / 70
Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP (5.1 set)
Wharfedale Diamond 10 5.1 set (45k as reviewed in HT shootout in What HiFi Nov 2009)
Mission MV DS 5.1
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Q-Acoustics 1010i

I did find the Energy Take Classic 5.1 set for 33k on the E-Zone online store, but I am just about getting out of a horrible experience with these guys, so I would rather not buy from E-Zone. I have no idea about the prices in Chennai for the other models mentioned above, though I have only approximate prices.

I would like to know where in Chennai these models can be auditioned and purchased, the best prices for these in Chennai and also which of the above models would suit the Yamaha 459 receiver the best.

After all, we all know that it's not just the amp and speaker wattage that matter. There's much more to the sound than just wattage.

Look forward to your inputs on the above guys. Thanks for your time!

Warm regards,
Venkat

P.S. - I have come across terms like "forward", "laid back", "bright" etc when speakers are described, but I don't understand what they mean! It would be great if someone could explain these terms!:)

Energy Take Classic 5.1 set for 33k is NOT OK.
Check with reliance digital.. It was available here in hyd for 27.5K few months back.

I called up Decibel and spoke to Raghu just now (dealer for Q-Acoustics in Chennai).

The Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package costs 56k! With the wall brackets, it would be 58k it seems.

He said for better music, the fronts alone can be changed to 1020i, which would make the package around 3-4k more expensive.

Unfortunately, the 1000 series is not on demo now, and he has only the 2000 series. He said in the 2000 series, some improvements have gone into the subwoofer mainly while the overall wattage is about the same.

I also called up Cressida AV Zone in Chennai to ask about the Cambridge Audio Sirocco 5.1 package and other options.

Here's what I got:

CA Sirocco 5.1 pkg (front towers, surrounds, centre, subwoofer) --> 41k
Mordaunt Short Premiere Series 5.1 package --> 38k (15% discount possible)
MS Premiere series would come to 32.3k. The guy who spoke to me, Ravikumar, said the MS Premier series would compare quite favourably with the CA Sirocco 5.1.

I asked about getting the Sirocco series but with the S-20 or S-30 bookshelves as fronts and rears, but he said it was sold as a 5.1 package only and the bookshelves or towers could not be purchased separately.

Hmm ... confused now and budget is also going beyond what we had planned. :sad:

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Maybe I shall look at Mark's Craftel speakers. I am sure they should be cheaper but still would sound very good.

---Venkat

No replies on the Premiere Series from Mordaunt Short guys?

Well here's an update from my side. I picked up the Yamaha RX-V 459 receiver on Saturday evening finally. Tested it with my Sony HTIB speakers and subwoofer, which are all supposed to be 100W RMS. This Yammy pumps out quite a lot of power! Without adjusting bass or surround levels, the sound was really nice, when I played Eagles and Santana DTS video concerts (blu ray rips).

Now for speakers, these are the details I have:

Paradigm Cinema 70 - 32k
Paradigm Cinema 90 - 43k
Wharfedale MovieStar 70+ - 33k (1 yr old demo piece for 23k)
Wharfedale MovieStar 65+ - 21k (best price 17.5k brand new)

The dealer says the MS 65+ is really good, while the MS 70+ is even better and sounds good even for music. But he says if I have the budget, I can go for the Paradigm Cinema 90 set.

Unfortunately I don't have the budget for 43k. My budget was a max of 18-20k for the speaker package. Apart from the Yamaha NS-P110 satellite speaker package which is available for 12k from Yamaha Music Square (previously sold in a sale last week for 8k), I really didn't have choices.

That is, until I thought of calling this Wharfedale dealer. For 17.5k, the MovieStar 65+ sounds very tempting. The set has very good reviews too.

Here's a link from AVForums.com: (reviews with pics)

Wharfedale moviestar 65+ 5.1 system - AVForums.com

Specs wise, the MS 70+ seems to be a bit better - bigger drivers, 2 drivers for the centre speakers etc. But the question is, is it worth almost double the price (33k) for a brand new one or 23k for a 1 year old demo piece, which he says is sparingly used?

I am referring to Grand Cinema in Kodambakkam Chennai, and I spoke to Ajmal. I've heard he's a very honest guy and he sounded very pleasant on the phone and was answering all my queries one by one. He's promised me a demo on both these models at the showroom this Saturday. I might take my amp along with me just to check the sound.

Can you guys give me an honest opinion on the MovieStar 65+ and 70+? I may be finalising on one of these very soon. Nothing else seems to fit my budget. Can't stretch beyond 23k.

Awaiting your views guys! Please help!

Warm regards,
Venkat:)

Is your listening primarily for movies or you are going for music too? From your PM I remember you wanting it for both. I would advise you to go for bookshelf + sub for now and add things later. The sat + sub option is a poor option for music but will do fine for movies in a small room. In a largish room like yours the front speakers will tend to be too far so their throw will be quite limited.

Check out the speaker thread for what comes in your budget and work out from there. As for sat+sub packages, moviestar is a popular package but personally havent heard them.

For the various 'audiophiles terms', there is a thread in the General chit chat section on a cheat sheet for these terms which explain what each means :)

Hi Sud98

No it's gonna be more of movie watching than music as far as the HT system goes. I have a separate Pioneer stereo amp and Sony 3-way bookshelf speakers for music. Even have a Kenwood 13 band spectrum analyser and graphic equaliser connected. So for music I have a good system already.

This one is gonna be mainly for movies.

So you're saying the throw from these MS 70+ speakers may be insufficient? I would be seated about 16-17 feet from the wall where the plasma would be mounted.

I've sent a PM (reply) to avidyarthy on these speakers since he owns the set. Shall wait to hear from him and then post back. He basically says they are fantastic look wise and performance wise, even for music. He uses these speakers with a Pioneer 519 AVR.

---Venkat

Hey people

Avidyarthy has given me an excellent opinion of the Wharfedale MovieStar 70+ and I am also 100% sure of going in for this set.

However just now I have received one more option to confuse me. This is from ProFX Chennai, and they are quoting a best price of 26k for the Polk Audio RM 6750 5.1 speaker package (with 200W RMS powered sub).

Now the dilemma is between a demo set of Wharfedale MovieStar 70+ for 23k (new set best price 30k) or a brand new set of Polk Audio RM 6750 for 3k more at 26k.

My friend says Wharfedales are definitely better made than Polks and he says the speakers are also more rugged and bigger than the typically small satellite sized RM 6750s. He's advising me to go for the MS 70+ provided I like the sound.

ProFX is offering the RM 6750 with Denon 1610 AVR together as a package for 40k. Enticing isn't it? How do they manage this? The AVR alone is sold by them for a best price of 23k for the silver version. 23 + 26 = 49k .... so 9k discount on buying both together? I guess they must be reducing their profit on the Denon AVR then.

So the question to you folks is - is the extra 3k worth it for the Polk Audio RM 6750 compared to the Wharfedale MovieStar 70+ that costs 23k for a demo set?

Please help!

I will be pairing the speakers to my Yamaha RX-V 459 receiver which I picked up last week.

---Venkat

I guess you will need to hear it yourself and take a call. it will be great if you can take your avr along.

Just check for any physical damage on the demo piece.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back