Subwoofer for Music and Movies Both

rajivaryan1984

Dear FM's,

Currently I am using XTZ 12.17 Edge (https://www.xtzsound.eu/sub1217edge?lng=en) for my living room setup for both Music and Movies (Stereo Listening as well as HT). But due to lack of punch and effect, I have decided for an upgrade or replacement. I have received the below options, if you all can suggest which one would be ideal for a living room (13*15) for both music and movies ((Stereo Listening as well as HT)) ---

SB2000 Pro 12" Sealed Unit
PB2000
RelT 9X - 10 Inches Sealed
Rel 1205 - 12 Inches

Dear FM's,

Currently I am using XTZ 12.17 Edge (https://www.xtzsound.eu/sub1217edge?lng=en) for my living room setup for both Music and Movies (Stereo Listening as well as HT). But due to lack of punch and effect, I have decided for an upgrade or replacement.

1. The sub is capable enough. Play around with its placement in the room.
2. You also have the option of getting another one, and using dual subs to fill the room. (will also help with taming peaks and nulls in the lower frequencies, due to multiple placement options).
3. Buy a 15" driven sub if you want to be overwhelmed.

Last edited:
But due to lack of punch and effect

You need to measure your current sub in your room. It will, more than likely, show that the issue you describe above, is a combination of your room dimensions, where you've put the sub and where your MLP is. If you upgrade to a seemingly better sub, that issue will remain unless you're able to change where you put the sub or your MLP. Perhaps not the answer you were looking for but, IMO, it's the answer you need to avoid further inevitable disappointment if you upgrade without figuring out the root cause of your issue.

Dear FM's,

Currently I am using XTZ 12.17 Edge (https://www.xtzsound.eu/sub1217edge?lng=en) for my living room setup for both Music and Movies (Stereo Listening as well as HT). But due to lack of punch and effect, I have decided for an upgrade or replacement. I have received the below options, if you all can suggest which one would be ideal for a living room (13*15) for both music and movies ((Stereo Listening as well as HT)) ---

PB2000
Rel 1205 - 12 Inches
The Xtz 12.7 edge seems more than capable for that room size going by its specs. The Rel T9X imho may not give the spl required for movies. I had the Svs PC 2000 in a similar room size as yours which was more than capable for that room but would say that it is more suitable for movies. The XTZ seems more powerful than the PB2000 going by the specs. PB 2000 would have more spl than the Rel 1205 and SB 2000 pro for movies although the 1205 would be good for music.
I would still urge you to try positioning the sub as it seems a very capable one and defer the purchase till you are convinced or unless it is a defective piece.
Pls try the phase settings on the Xtz. It could be out of phase.

Last edited:
Dear FM's,

PB2000
Rel 1205 - 12 Inches
Hi,
Dont under estimate your sub.
Placement plays a key roll.
If possible get a umik and calibrate it ll openup new doors

Dear FM's,

PB2000
Rel 1205 - 12 Inches
As Liverpool4life suggested it’s better you first measure and find the issue. Also from xtz 12.17 edge the Subs you have mentioned cannot be called an upgrade. There may be difference but they are not going to give you big improvements compared to xtz edge. The rythmik f12 and fvx12 or the 15 inch Rel and rythmik subs will be good upgrades from 12.17 edge.

My room is slightly bigger than yours. I have been using the XTZ12.17 since the last two weeks. Surely not enough hours yet to break in but I can feel the bass with windows rattling at certain points. But the same thing was missing in the first 3 days when I had positioned it wrong. May be there is an even better position than the present position - who knows?
You have more knowledge and experience than me regarding this sub - still my two cents.

Dear FM's,

PB2000
Rel 1205 - 12 Inches
REL T Series
MJ Acoustics

Both of them for subwoofer duties for music and movies together.

For just the home theater there are many other options.

Dear FM's,

PB2000
Rel 1205 - 12 Inches
I am using XTZ 12.17 Edge sub currently and It works great for Movies (my Sub settings more tuned for Movies) .
Initially the sub was not overwhelmed due to my bad placements & bad settings etc.

Try Few things
1.Keep the sub 1.5 feet to 2 feet away from corner walls.
2.If you are watching movies then Let the left port open and right port closed which will boost LFE
3.If you are listening to music then Let the right port open and left port closed which will boost mid frequencies which should be more suitable for music.
4.Set Eq settings to Eq2 (that worked great for me) which will produce tight and punchy BASS.
5.Set the cut off frequency settings to 80hz.
6. phase settings to 10 to 11 o clock.
5.Turn parameter EQ on and keep the Frequency Tab to 40 Hz or below ,and volume up +db to 2 to 6 db as per your likings.
6.Set the Sub gain correctly so it blends with the speakers. Audyssy mostly mess up Sub gain settings. It always asks to set at lower volume settings from Sub , and it keeps SP distance settings to very high number which is not naturally sounding right.
Instead ,After Audyssy setup is done , Start with high gain settings at sub and play some content on high volume. Reduce gain settings in sub till u hear clear /undistorted BASS. Also reduce SP distance settings of Sub/ set below 18 feet or below. If we set beyond that ,Sub starts to sound weirdly. This is my own experience , it may vary depends on your room size & room acoustics.

I don't think REL Sub provides such tuning options and its not powerful like XTZ.
Also i dont think u will feel much difference with SVS PB2000 as per i demoed both XTZ and SVS performed nearly same. pb2000 slightly was more powerful due to its bigger enclosure.
SVS PB2000 also have more tuning option with mobile App i think.

If you want to really upgrade still - better go for 15" or 12" duals.

Last edited:
Dear FM's,

PB2000
Rel 1205 - 12 Inches
Hi, like others have also said, your sub is good as is.
While the options you have mentioned may match your sub, I doubt if any of them will outperform your XTZ.
Please try out some of the solutions mentioned above.

One last thing: Is your living area open to other areas?
If so, you might have to take some other path for pressurisation of the total area...
Best

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back