Suggest : Best 22" LCD TV

elangoas

Hello ppl,

I am an audio enthusiast, have immensely benefited from this Forum by reading numerous threads on Audio... Firstly thanks to all.

I am planning to buy an 22" LCD TV in a weeks time. My budget is Rs 15,000/-.Also i am planning to get SUN DTH after a month (Exclusive of budget).I have checked out all the popular brands. Among all Onida Xaria is the only model with a native resolution of 1680*1050 which is almost close to FULL HD 1920*1080. I think all the other LCD TV's in this range have only 1366*768 as native resolution. I did have a demo of most of them (Sony, Samsung, LG, Sansui, Onida). To me Onida & Samaung looks much better. I had a an impressive deme of Onida Xaria with Sun DTH. The clarity was amazing. I couldn't make anything out of contrast, they were marginally better than the counter parts.

I have few questions.Plz help me. I am not bothered about Sound Quality. Picture clairty takes utmost importance.If not breath taking, atleast stunning..... ( Iknow i can't get these in 22'LCD TV).

1) How imporatnt is native resolution. Since Onida Xaria has a better pixel resolution (1680*1050),i hope the Picture quality improves. So should i go with Onida..

2) Many LCD TV Buying guides on the net suggest a better Dynamic Contrast ratio will give better picture. I am pretty confused abt this. I can't judge this. Plz help me how to judge that.

I am open to suggestions...

Samsung 22B450 (14,500) or 22B650 (18,000).

If you don't mind a bigger size then 26B450 (21,000) is the best. It includes support for 1080p at 24fps.

I enq with few of the local dealers (Chellamani & Co, Vasanth & Co, Viveks, e-Zone)in Chennai for Onida Xaria. Chellamani & Co is ready to offer me for 13K. For others price range hovers between 13 - 14K. Surprisingly E-Zone is costlier. They quoted 14,600 Rs/- Almost 1,500 Rs more than the lowest price.

Anyways i did take a look all the 22" LCD TV @ E-Zone at the same time. All of them were connected to SUN Direct HD. Pictures looked much better than our SDTV. Ppl @ E- Zone are really professional, kind enough to answer questions atleast to an extent and offered me demo on both Sun Direct SD & Sun Direct HD.

When i was looking @ all the 22" LCD TV's played on Sun Direct HD and viewing from a 8 feet distance, each one was marginally better than the other.

I had a chance to look @ Benq 22" & 24" LCD TV, they both offer FULL HD and that too surprisingly priced between 13 - 15K. If i consider that, the only disadvantage would be service.. Else it should be a nice buy...

Plz let me know you thoughts...

You want Full HD at that screen size take a look at the LG M237WA, the so-called monitor-TV. It has a native resolution of 1920x1080, and has a host of connectivity options. LG has the added advantage of having a good service network. Sharp also has a good 22" model.
But if you are only going to use it to watch TV and not use it as a monitor then HD ready is good enough.

You want Full HD at that screen size take a look at the LG M237WA, the so-called monitor-TV. It has a native resolution of 1920x1080, and has a host of connectivity options. LG has the added advantage of having a good service network. Sharp also has a good 22" model.
But if you are only going to use it to watch TV and not use it as a monitor then HD ready is good enough.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not going to connect my Monitor or Laptop to it. Just watching it as TV alone...

I meant that i am almost getting close to FULL HD. Since the native resolution is better then what is offered by the competitors, i am thinking would it make a difference....

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not going to connect my Monitor or Laptop to it. Just watching it as TV alone...

I meant that i am almost getting close to FULL HD. Since the native resolution is better then what is offered by the competitors, i am thinking would it make a difference....

If you are going to use it just for watching TV then there will be no difference at all between FULL HD and HD Ready. On a screen size of 22" a higher native resolution will make absolutely NO difference unless you are going to connect to a PC (which you are not going to do!!)

How imporatnt is native resolution. Since Onida Xaria has a better pixel resolution (1680*1050),i hope the Picture quality improves. So should i go with Onida..
As far as resolution of 1680x1050 goes, I think that the TV may be in 16:10 aspect ratio rather than 16:9. As you know 16:9 is better than 16:10 for watching movies.

22" TVs are nothing but a tv tuner tacked onto a 22" monitor and almost all of them are TN. I'd not recommend any of them if the primary purpose is a TV. You are better off with a 29" CRT.

If the primary purpose is to use as a computer monitor, you could get a decent TV tuner like a Hauppauge WinTV 150 for 2k and add a high quality IPS display like the Dell 2209WA. The monitor will be around 16k and is completely worth the price.

I was of the assumption that a better resolution means better picture Quality. Going by your views, an LCD TV makes no sense to watch a Standard Definition content being upscaled to HD ....

I currently own an Philips 29" CRT, i hope i am already better off....

Hi,

Is the 2209WA available in India? I have been trying to get it..

Cheers
PbR

Check with techshop.in. I got one for a friend from there.

@elangoas : If you already

have a 29 inch crt then forget about lcds unless you can afford a quality 42 incher.

@elangoas : If you already

have a 29 inch crt then forget about lcds unless you can afford a quality 42 incher.[/QUOTE]

Your strong recommendation is making me think if i should go for 22"LCD. @ the moment i can't afford for 42" bcoz of budget. Currently i have Philips 29" CRT. Nice & Simple model. I have used local cable network itz so pathetic that i dont even receive the broadcast in stereo mode. Itz only MONO.. Also there is a major loss in Pic Quality also.

May be i should use Sun Direct DTH. hopefully the audio & video quality improves...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back