Suggestion needed

firearm12

Hello friends, i am owning a thorens 240-2 turntable for few years now and using it with schiit mani phono. This turntable uses TAS-267 cartridge. I am looking for a better sound (if something like that is there) upgrade my cartridge or phono and so need suggestion from experts.

1) what cartridges can i upgrade to for this turntable.
2) what phono should i upgrade from schiit mani.
3) is it worth upgrading phono/cartridge, will it have a noticable effect if my total budget is not more than 30k. Or should i wait till i allocate higher budget for any better options.
4) what matters more? Cartridge or phono, which one should i choose to upgrade if i go ahead with one only.

Sorry for long list of questions but I am zero on turntables and dont know where to start. what kind of improvements can i expect with these upgrades, is it subtle or drastic.

Please provide expert comments. I listen to mostly hindi old bollywood/classical,instrumental songs.

Hi!
The TAS267 is a private label AT95E. The AT is a well regarded cartridge that punches quite above it's weight in terms of price, so it shall require a substantial investment to better it. AT has recently replaced the AT95 with the VM95. A wider range of stylus profiles is available with the VM95. I would suggest the Shibata version, this would be a good upgrade over your current cartridge.

For the phono stage, if you are a good DIYer, you can consider building EAR834 clone.

Regards,

Hi!
The TAS267 is a private label AT95E. The AT is a well regarded cartridge that punches quite above it's weight in terms of price, so it shall require a substantial investment to better it. AT has recently replaced the AT95 with the VM95. A wider range of stylus profiles is available with the VM95. I would suggest the Shibata version, this would be a good upgrade over your current cartridge.

For the phono stage, if you are a good DIYer, you can consider building EAR834 clone.

Regards,

Thanks, i dont have any experience of diy though i know soldering and have some time to spare so can consider it. Is it simple enough to be considered for first time project. Any guide available for parts etc.

Thanks, i dont have any experience of diy though i know soldering and have some time to spare so can consider it. Is it simple enough to be considered for first time project. Any guide available for parts etc.
The CNC is a great phono stage and we'll suited as a first time project. FM sachu888 can give you all the required support so you can cosider that seriously.

Regards,

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back