Suggestion on AV Receiver

Hmmm I have little disagreement to this statement as in this case PSB has to work with NAD only...POLK can only be paired with Denon and list goes on....

In case if PSB are stated as neutral speakers then they should pair up and perform with all AVRs. I had heard about sound signatures and amplifiers sound coloring and till my knowledge it is personal perception of sound hearing.

Hope I haven't offend anyone here:rolleyes:

audio is subjective........there are no rules. A sound signature can only act as a guide to your ears which does not imply that a certain speaker can only be paired with a certain AVR or Amp. Depending on what sound you prefer we can go ahead with proper selection of the hardware.

audio is subjective........there are no rules. A sound signature can only act as a guide to your ears which does not imply that a certain speaker can only be paired with a certain AVR or Amp. Depending on what sound you prefer we can go ahead with proper selection of the hardware.

AUDIO/SOUND IS SUBJECTIVE is not ending debate where lacs of question can be raised and might be answered or may not be.......

Though main point around for me is that I cannot keep on spending bucks after HT as per wish. I had specified my budget and I don't want to rework on it after 1-2 yrs. This spendings has to be there for atleast come 6-7 yrs and here comes the main question for me "what if I purchase this one" "what if this sounds better than that brand"

Too many confusion on specs and plenty of audition lands one in trouble (in my case) Anyways I will be making up my mind in 10-15 days and will pull the trigger.

Lets hope soundful journey has merry time :)

I didn't like either the KEF Q or the Polk TRiA. I had demoed the KEF Q900 and they just weren't good. Didn't get any impact from them when listening to rock music and the likes and even in movies they just didn't have the grunt u expect. I'll give u an example. In The Dark Knight opening sequence in the bank, the sound of the glass breaking didn't have the clarity nor the effect it should have. I agree that they were too warm.
The Polks were even worse. Everything sounded high pitched. Just too much impact on the sound. The ears hurt when the music was loud or any scene in a movie had a lot of drama.
That's why you will find that my list does not contain either of those brands. I didn't like Klipsch either.
I think you shoud definitely audition the Tannoy DC6T SE. Should retail for around 75-80K if I remember correctly and are really good speakers. Remember the SE cause there is a Tannoy DC6T too which are good too but the SE is much better.

I agree to you dear friend....the way you had described sound quality of given brands are same that felt during auditions. Surely I will look for Tannoy as well and consider it for sure if comes close with PSB brand. I like PSB but I know that are bit expensive considered with other higher end brands....I need to keep budget in mind too :)

Blame the avr if the effect is not substantial on polk rtia series. Afterall speakers tend to reproduce what avrs give. Try to tweak the high frequency response in the avr and everything will be ok.
Btw cheap speakers have good response for high frequencies. A good speaker or an avr do not over exaggarate either high or mid or low ranges. They tend to be even on all ranges.

Blame the avr if the effect is not substantial on polk rtia series. Afterall speakers tend to reproduce what avrs give. Try to tweak the high frequency response in the avr and everything will be ok.
Btw cheap speakers have good response for high frequencies. A good speaker or an avr do not over exaggarate either high or mid or low ranges. They tend to be even on all ranges.

I guess you are one of the happy user for RTiA series. Great.....anyways which AVR you prefer that can be paired with POLK, KEF??

I auditioned POLK RTiA7 with Denon 2313/Marantz...Also I would like to mention that I asked dealer to switch all EQ off and make AVR produce flat sound so that I was in situation of understanding speakers in much better way.....I was wanted to know how speakers reproduces sound????

But as mentioned I did feel that Polks were bommy and bright....off-course I don't claim myself as audiophile and surely Polks can be preferred as they are the best in given budget....

Looking for inputs and advice from you so that I can surely make wise decision:)

I really don't know why it is felt that rtias were boomy and bright. Many people I know returned their rtis and took the much cheaper tsi's as they felt that rtis were too less bright.
And kef is too soft. Only a high decibel sound would make the sound enjoyable unless one has a very silent room.
The Rti's serve up layered subtleties in the sound. One can see this with 5.1 recorded "hotel california".
They may not be as forthright as the cheaper speakers like yamaha (my brother has cheap yamaha floor standers and he always says my rti a7s are too soft).
A 150 watts per channel avrs like pioneer and also a racy avr like yamaha would drive them to one's individual taste.
My brother hooked up his yamaha avr to my Rtis and voila..they appeared to be totally vibrant speakers, than when being driven by my weak denon 2309.
Avrs are the decisive factor for any reasonably good speakers in my opinion.

I really don't know why it is felt that rtias were boomy and bright. Many people I know returned their rtis and took the much cheaper tsi's as they felt that rtis were too less bright.
And kef is too soft. Only a high decibel sound would make the sound enjoyable unless one has a very silent room.
The Rti's serve up layered subtleties in the sound. One can see this with 5.1 recorded "hotel california".
They may not be as forthright as the cheaper speakers like yamaha (my brother has cheap yamaha floor standers and he always says my rti a7s are too soft).
A 150 watts per channel avrs like pioneer and also a racy avr like yamaha would drive them to one's individual taste.
My brother hooked up his yamaha avr to my Rtis and voila..they appeared to be totally vibrant speakers, than when being driven by my weak denon 2309.
Avrs are the decisive factor for any reasonably good speakers in my opinion.

Yes your point is correct...To get best potential out of speakers one needs separate amplifiers..But looking down to budget I wont be in situation to go for separates.....I need to get all integrated with AVR and it would be the one to drive speakers.....which AVR do you prefer personally.....

Certainly speakers tones will change with AVRs.....Apart from this I heard alot and had auditioned LX-SC56 from Pioneer...I guess D amplifiers are having enough push :) may be refined sound....whats your experience on long run with Pioneer?

Thanks

I got my pioneer sc37 2 years ago from US without worrying about warranty or service. Just beleived the superlative review of whathifi.com.
And it paid off. Exemplary sound with brawn and details.
Regarding avr package , any yamaha package will give muscle to your movie watching. Buy yourself a good bluray player and you are done.
But if it is for separates, one should try the combination of latest yamaha avr with Qacoustics cinema 5.1 speaker package.

I got my pioneer sc37 2 years ago from US without worrying about warranty or service. Just beleived the superlative review of whathifi.com.
And it paid off. Exemplary sound with brawn and details.
Regarding avr package , any yamaha package will give muscle to your movie watching. Buy yourself a good bluray player and you are done.
But if it is for separates, one should try the combination of latest yamaha avr with Qacoustics cinema 5.1 speaker package.

Thanks for guidance dear friend.... But as of now my mind is toward getting good speakers (POLK RTiA7/9, PSB Image T5/6, KEFQ700) and for AVR it might be Denon/marantz considering on features provided with them.... Though I will give try again to Pioneer to know it better....Lets hope I pull the trigger with proper selection. By the way were can I get projector demo as well in Delhi-NCR.....

Thanks

No....haven't auditioned Focals....I dun know about dealers here in Delhi dealing with Focals...Also it seems that they would be very expensive and won't be in my budget :-(

Hello Tulsiyan and Bhavin,

So what did you guys finally go for?

Both of you probably have auditioned the Marantz 7008 and Pioneer LX receivers. Can you please give your opinions on these.

Thanks

I have denon 1912 since last one year. I am quit satisfied with it. now i am going to upgrade it for my dedicate home theater. Eyeing on Pioneer LX-57.

Please guide. should i go with Yamaha / Pioneer in the sub 1 Lakh Budget???

I have denon 1912 since last one year. I am quit satisfied with it. now i am going to upgrade it for my dedicate home theater. Eyeing on Pioneer LX-57.

Please guide. should i go with Yamaha / Pioneer in the sub 1 Lakh Budget???

I would go for the pioneer 57. Nothing can beat a high end pioneer avr. It will breathe new life into your speakers.
It is deft and subtle when required.

I have been contemplating on a new HT setup for months now and have finally decided on the following

Room is 20x20 sq ft.

8ftX6ft Da-Lite projector screen
Panasonic 8000 Projector

Imagine T2 - Fronts
Imagine C - Center
Imagine Mini - Surrounds

I am confused as to what AVR should I go for with the PSBs. NAD 787 sounds the best with this setup but pricing is way out of my budget. Also I am a bit peeved at the lack of features in the NAD at that price point when lesser mortals like Onkyo, Denon, Marantz offer a more feature laden list at lower price points.

I am leaning towards the Denon or the Onkyo as my choice for AVR specifically looking at the Onkyo 929 or the Denon X4000/4520ci

I will be procuring the speakers and amps from Dubai during DSF in Jan.

Any help in deciding the AVR would be appreciated.

Back