Suggestions for a DAC from US fro about $200

arhantd

Hello everyone.

I am on the lookout to replace my Creative EMU 0204 DAC with something better but around $200.

I posted an ad in wanted section but havent got any offers in the price range
so finally have decided to try and harrow some poor soul to get me a DAC from US.
Now i need help and suggestions as it will be a blind buy.

My requirement is only of a DAC, I dont need a Headphone amp.
It needs to have USB input and specifically USB type B.
And it needs to be better than my current DAC.

There are a lot of options and when you also look at the various chips and Chinese brands available the options seem endless.
So i am confused. I am not fixed on any particular brand or chip so please go ahead and suggest what you all think will be best.

Right now the ones I have looked at are:
Schiit Modi
ODAC
Aune T1 tube based/rolling possible
Valab NOS
Maverick Audio
Or a dac from Hifimediy or Hifinow based on Sabre 9018 or the AKM 4399

I dont know which one is the best DAC to buy in and around my budget so please give some opinions.
If you think of any outside of these above also please mention.

Also, whatever i have read about the ODAC, it seems really impressive but all the versions seem to have Mini-usb.
If someone knows a version which accepts usb type B as input please let me know.

Thanks for looking and any input will be helpful as i am quite confused.

You should get the odac imo. And why bother about USB type B on the dac? It is usually always mini USB as a connection on the DAC side and it will will USB on the other end which connects to the PC..

Thanks for the suggestion. i would like to get the ODAC but i just bought a Supra USB A to B cable to use with my EMU. Its nice so i would like to keep it.

Except ODAC all the other dacs i have mentioned have USB B type input. So i was kinda hoping there is a version of ODAC with it too.

Thanks for the suggestion but the xda-2 at $399 is out of budget.
And i find the XDA might be a bit too big for my desktop, i think.

So, did you finally upgrade your DAC?

I too am confused between ODAC, Maverick TubeMagic D2 and Aune T1 DAC.

So, did you finally upgrade your DAC?

I too am confused between ODAC, Maverick TubeMagic D2 and Aune T1 DAC.

No. I couldnt find the right one in time. Now i am considering upgrading speakers first.
The problem is one cant audition these dacs here and has to decide based on reviews.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back