Suggestions for a DIY class AB amp

archat68

Hello all fellow DIYers.

I'm looking to build a 100+100w (at8 ohm) class AB amp with discrete chips. As a member here superb musicality is important.

I'm pretty good at diy although haven't ventured into anything serious for quite a long time.

Initially I though about going for a LM 3886 based Amp but looking about the availability of the chip I'm pretty sure that I'll end up with a fake. There is neuro chrome kit. But I'm not ready to spend that much. There are a number of kits with discreet chips available in the market like this but not sure about the quality as there is no review anywhere.

So my requirements are a class AB amplifier with around 100w each channel with discreet mosfet in around 20K including everything (psi, cabinet etc.).

So request members with experience DIY to chime in and pour out their thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Apologies for going a bit OT. I came across this article last week and it was an interesting read. diyaudio.com has some details on the build. Haven't tried it, not sure if it can compete with modern builds, and there aren't many reviews online. Probably an interesting project if someone feels a little adventurous :)

DIY Audio thread:

Apologies for going a bit OT. I came across this article last week and it was an interesting read. diyaudio.com has some details on the build. Haven't tried it, not sure if it can compete with modern builds, and there aren't many reviews online. Probably an interesting project if someone feels a little adventurous :)

DIY Audio thread:
Thanks for the reply.
Adjusting the quiescent current in a Class B amp may be tricky without proper support.

Have you considered picking up a vintage amp and doing a ground up restoration? Could be a vfm diy project.

MaSh

Have you considered picking up a vintage amp and doing a ground up restoration? Could be a vfm diy project.

MaSh
No. Not considered that way. Getting a vintage at good price and judging the actual condition of the amp would be difficult task, I think.

I have heard discrete dynamics amps by @Aniket, and found them to be very good. He gives fully assembled amps and pcb boards(kits) as well, and is reasonably priced.

No. Not considered that way. Getting a vintage at good price and judging the actual condition of the amp would be difficult task, I think.
True, the hunt could be tough but once done could be quite rewarding.

How is the availability of diy amp kits in India though?

MaSh

if you want to try some low-wattage stuff JLH1969 is a good option, it's a class-A design well documented on the net, the Sound quality is very good, and its easy to make. It has only a few components. But you need some sensitive speakers as this gives only 10W ( that's more than enough for medium-sized rooms )

Attachments

• jh691.jpg
    jh691.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 20
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back