Suggestions for AVR/Int Amp/DAC/FS speakers

Ashu2016

Hello AV geeks,

I have just joined this forum to get expert opinion from you folks as I am planning to setup an entry level HT system at home in Mumbai. After some research for last 2 months, I have zeroed in to the below options as of now. I plan to setup this system by Sept end or early Oct. However, I am open for any better options and suggestions by experts in this forum if it fits within my budget

AVR / Int. AMP:

Option 1: Marantz PM 5005 + CD 5005 OR PM 6005 (with build-in DAC)
Option 2: NAD C 326 BEE

Marantz 5005 combo will cost 15 K more than PM 6005 Int amp but need an external CD player with 6005. My only doubt about Marantz PM 5005/6005 is the power ratings (40/45 W @ 8 Ohm) and not sure if its enough to drive FS speakers from Sonodyne, Wharfedale or Polk Audio with 60-125 W recommended amp power.

On the other hand, I have read in this forum that NAD 326 has enough power (100 W @ 8 ohm) to drive FS speakers like Sonus 2605, Wharfedale and its a great combination

My usage would be 70% music and 30% movies. The music genre would be soft rock, jazz, pop, Indian classical & folk music and Instruments.

My budget for AVR/Amp with DAC is about INR 40,000.

FS Speakers:

Option 1: Sonodyne 2605 V3 or 3155. I have read a lot of good reviews in this forum about Sonodyne 2605 V3 speakers and got to know it pairs very well with Marantz and NAD Int. Amps. However, I am unable to audition Sonus speakers with Marantz and NAD Amps here in Mumbai as WiFi Mart has no stock of Sonodyne speakers for audition. I would appreciate if someone can share audition experience of Marantz PM 5005/6005 and NAD Int Amps with Sonus 2605 / 3155.

I am not sure how much Sonus 3155 will cost. I got a response to my inquiry to Sonodyne Mumbai for 2605 V3 with a quote of INR 38,000 for a pair.

Options 2: Wharfedale Diamond 10.5 / 230 or Polk Audio 500 T. My budget is again about INR 40,000 for FS speakers.

I am not considering any Sub or Center speakers as I dont want to cross my budget of about INR 80,000 for this setup at this point. I will add these in future if necessary for a better sound experience.

I would really appreciate your suggestions on both Int. Amp and FS speakers.

Cheers

Hi ashu2016

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find your experience quite nice by browsing through the various posts and threads uploaded by our members...it will definite resolve your queries or AV related challenges...

Now coming to your requirements....if you want a stereo setup then it will be an integrated amplifier.....if you want HT setup then you need an AVR.......

The integrated amps selected by you are nice and good for music delivery.....don't under estimate Marantz, they are good amps which are continuous performers...

There are other speakers you can look at and decide.....of course with the amp you select you may not get to audition the decided speakers....thumb rule is that you need to look for speakers (floor standers or bookshelf ) which can deliver maximum frequencies between 20hz - 20khz.......typically floor standers deliver bass upto 40-45hz....some use then subwoofers to enhance the punch and effect as required. Audition and decide accordingly....

If you want an AVR, you need to decide what setup.....5.1 which is standard and 7.1 and beyond....how big is your listening area? Since you are inclined 70% towards music, you need to definitely go for a Marantz AVR....either the NR series or SR series....

We have a forum member who uses Dali 7 speakers on the NR series and they drive quite well..

Other speaker brands would be Jamo, Taga, Wharfedale, PSB, Boston Acoustics, Pioneer Andrew Jones, etc.

Since you are on a tight budget and yet want to achieve the best....you can see the For Sale by Owner Section and India's Audio & Video Pre-Owned Classified Ads Website for some real sweet deals where you can get well maintained systems which are otherwise expensive for reasonable rates.....check it out....the upgrade bug has bitten some of us and a lot of ads have been posted lately.....

All the best....happy to help

Hi Efernand1,

Thanks for your suggestions and guidance

As I said in initial post, my primary goal is a stereo setup for listening music and if I can get a HT setup it would be a bonus. My listening area is about 250-300 Sq. ft.

So, my search was more for a good quality integrated stereo amp with good quality DAC to play music from different sources and if the amp has a USB input, it would a plus.

I know I have a tight budget and hence was focusing on good quality FS speakers. As I will use this setup mostly for music listening, I thought I can manager without subwoofers for now. I will go for a subwoofer in future and dont want to compromise on quality considering I have about Rs. 40 K budget for speakers.

I had considered all speaker options available in the market including Dali Zensor 7 and ELAC Debut F5. Dali 7 is definitely a high quality entry level FS speakers but it would cost me 70 K. I would be interested if I can get a pair of used Dali 7 (less than 2 years old) within 50 K.

Whats your take on Sonodyne FS speakers, I thought this Indian brand offers good value for the buck and might fit within my budget. A no of members in this forum had confirmed that the performance is also good with Marantz and NAD AMPs. It seems Sonodynes fans in this forum have chosen to be silent, wondering why??

I am also open for suggestions related to other AMPs or AVRs but I guess my budget is tight for other high end ones. I am waiting for more opinions/suggestions before I start auditions for 2-3 shortlisted options starting this week end.

Though I have a total budget of Rs. 80,000 for this project, I can stretch up to Rs. 100,000 including all accessories.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum..

As I said in initial post, my primary goal is a stereo setup for listening music and if I can get a HT setup it would be a bonus. My listening area is about 250-300 Sq. ft.

So, my search was more for a good quality integrated stereo amp with good quality DAC to play music from different sources and if the amp has a USB input, it would a plus.

If you want to double up the system for music/movies, AVR would do better.. An AVR and a FS to begin with will exhuast your budget.. You must just be able to scrap the center speaker too.. All in all, 3.0 is what i guess is possible going by your requirements...

Whats your take on Sonodyne FS speakers, I thought this Indian brand offers good value for the buck and might fit within my budget.A no of members in this forum had confirmed that the performance is also good with Marantz and NAD AMPs.

I have used Sonodyne Sonus range of speakers and older Avant series for a good time and paired them up with different amps in the ownership..

I have paired the Sonus 2605 FS with NAD 326 + NAD CD player, Onkyo TX NR 818 AVR, Marantz SR5200 AVR with a stereo power amplifier, Sonodyne Sia 320 IA..Found the Onkyo + Sonus pairing to be good for both music/movies...

Please take an audition in your city..

It seems Sonodynes fans in this forum have chosen to be silent, wondering why??

Sonodyne Fans ?? :) May be Sonodyne users would be apt..

Prices have gone up for Sonodyne Sonus range of speakers, and there are better offering for VFM segment.. Taga Harmony is an example.. Never heard them though..

I am also open for suggestions related to other AMPs or AVRs but I guess my budget is tight for other high end ones. I am waiting for more opinions/suggestions before I start auditions for 2-3 shortlisted options starting this week end.

Since you have a budget of 100K, i would suggest you break it.. 40K for stereo and 60K for the HT Set-up.. Since you are willing to spend later, you can build your set-up..

Though I have a total budget of Rs. 80,000 for this project, I can stretch up to Rs. 100,000 including all accessories.

20,000 is too high for accessories... Keep it to bare minimal, unless & until you know what you are spending on..

Good luck..

Hi Ashu2016,

Audition and decide what you like and start shortlisting.

I use a Marantz AVR which is good for stereo as well as HT. once audyssey setup is calibrated, you can fine tune the settings to your expectations....the adjustable EQ really helps for each speaker. The stereo music playback reminds me of the good old Arphi amp + speakers I once had more than a decade back....

Hello Ashu,
Finally what speakers u installed.?Since I am also looking for sonodyne sonus 3155 wid denon avrx1600h..Wats the opinion on sonodyne? All suggestions are welcome..I just got demo of sonodyne avant FS speakers wid 5.1 setup having sub of 300W 12"...Just blown away by listening...But that dealer was not having sonia 3155 for demo..

Hello Gaurav,
I am looking for a 7.2 setup with either Denon x2600h or Yamaha RXV685 with Sonodyne Sonus 3155,3350,3540, &3260 (maybe instead of 3440 dipole speakers), and Roar 1210 subs (150W). My budget is ~1.6L. Plz comment audiophiles, and give some suggestions.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back