Suggestions on Center Channel Speaker

Atrios

Hello,

First Post here .Apologies if I am asking something very silly here...

I have a Yammy RXV671 connected to Dali Zensor 5 (FS). I like the combination and enjoying it. For movie watching I am really missing the center channel..Considering the tonal/timbre matching, dali seems to be the option that I should choose. Since the Zensor series have been discontinued the options I have is spektor Vokal or the Oberon vokal (don't want to go higher than this ). Inclined to the oberon vokal based on the reviews. Looking at the spec the oberon vokal is rated at 4ohm impedance but my avr is set to 6ohm to match the Zensor impedence. Now my question is, if I add the oberon vokal , will the avr be able to drive it to its potential ? Or should I just ignore the timbre matching and opt for any other brand ? If yes can you suggest any thay would match with the Zensors ..

Thanks

Hello,

I have a Yammy RXV671 connected to Dali Zensor 5 (FS). I like the combination and enjoying it. For movie watching I am really missing the center channel..Considering the tonal/timbre matching, dali seems to be the option that I should choose. Since the Zensor series have been discontinued the options I have is spektor Vokal or the Oberon vokal (don't want to go higher than this ). Inclined to the oberon vokal based on the reviews. Looking at the spec the oberon vokal is rated at 4ohm impedance but my avr is set to 6ohm to match the Zensor impedence. Now my question is, if I add the oberon vokal , will the avr be able to drive it to its potential ? Or should I just ignore the timbre matching and opt for any other brand ? If yes can you suggest any thay would match with the Zensors ..

Thanks
I used dali z3,vocal and z1. Vocal is decent and should be similar to performance with Oberon. I wanted more from Center and paired my z3 with xtz 95 series Center. It was way better then vocal. Since it uses a ribbon tweeter it’s on the brighter side but very clear with vocals. It paired well with zensors in my room. Now I have upgraded the LCR to Xtz 95 series and use zensor 1 for surrounds. They blend well in my room. I have everything mixed in my set up. LCR xtz, surrounds dali, heights front svs and heights rear is monoprice. With proper calibration you can tune them to blend well but at certain times the difference in signature will be clearly audible.

Attachments

• 47A084BC-018F-4FE7-846E-779EE094C4F0.jpeg
    47A084BC-018F-4FE7-846E-779EE094C4F0.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 30
I used dali z3,vocal and z1. Vocal is decent and should be similar to performance with Oberon. I wanted more from Center and paired my z3 with xtz 95 series Center. It was way better then vocal. Since it uses a ribbon tweeter it’s on the brighter side but very clear with vocals. It paired well with zensors in my room. Now I have upgraded the LCR to Xtz 95 series and use zensor 1 for surrounds. They blend well in my room. I have everything mixed in my set up. LCR xtz, surrounds dali, heights front svs and heights rear is monoprice. With proper calibration you can tune them to blend well but at certain times the difference in signature will be clearly audible.
Thanks , that is reassuring.. When you say the difference in signature is audible , is that only in a proper acoustically treated room ? I don't have a separate room for my setup and have set it up in the hall, so will the signature diff be audible at all ?
Also do you think the avr will cutoff if I add the 4ohm speaker due to the additional power need ?

Thanks , that is reassuring.. When you say the difference in signature is audible , is that only in a proper acoustically treated room ? I don't have a separate room for my setup and have set it up in the hall, so will the signature diff be audible at all ?
Also do you think the avr will cutoff if I add the 4ohm speaker due to the additional power need ?
I don’t think the avr will cutoff. The speaker will not be able to play to its optimal performance when it’s not fed sufficient power which is the case with most avr’s. In any room the Sonic signature by the tweeter will be audible for sharp ears. But how much of the difference will be bothering you depends on each individual. In my case all my speakers gel well except for the monoprice. Svs,dali and xtz blend wel and the sonic difference is not much noticeable

Hello,

Thanks
Added to the above quote made by L4S ,I was an earlier user of Zensor 5, Have used vokal initially followed by Emotiva Airmotiv C1, and C2 . Both blend well with Zensor 5. Regarding 4 ohms ,the AVR should able to drive it unless your listening levels are not reference levels.
Center channel speaker is a very important speaker in an HT setup.If space and budget is not a problem then better go for a bigger model .Choose it wisely. Best of luck!

I don’t think the avr will cutoff. The speaker will not be able to play to its optimal performance when it’s not fed sufficient power which is the case with most avr’s. In any room the Sonic signature by the tweeter will be audible for sharp ears. But how much of the difference will be bothering you depends on each individual. In my case all my speakers gel well except for the monoprice. Svs,dali and xtz blend wel and the sonic difference is not much noticeable
Thank you L4S, I will take a look at the Xtz ones..

Added to the above quote made by L4S ,I was an earlier user of Zensor 5, Have used vokal initially followed by Emotiva Airmotiv C1, and C2 . Both blend well with Zensor 5. Regarding 4 ohms ,the AVR should able to drive it unless your listening levels are not reference levels.
Center channel speaker is a very important speaker in an HT setup.If space and budget is not a problem then better go for a bigger model .Choose it wisely. Best of luck!
Thanks Rajith,, i understand the comparison was between the Zensor vokal and Emotiva C1/ C2. Would C1/C2 still be a better choice when compared to the Oberon vokal ? Or would it be comparable to C1+/C2+ ? I don't think I will ever go higher than -35db on the AVR, so safe with 4 ohm I guess.

Thanks Rajith,, i understand the comparison was between the Zensor vokal and Emotiva C1/ C2. Would C1/C2 still be a better choice when compared to the Oberon vokal ? Or would it be comparable to C1+/C2+ ? I don't think I will ever go higher than -35db on the AVR, so safe with 4 ohm I guess.
Hi Atrios! Have not heard Oberon personally .But you will not go wrong with C1 or C2 ( They are 3 way speakers and have ribbon tweeters ,both makes good screen presence). C1 is sealed type ,C2 is massive with back ports which have further bass extension ,If you have good space ,I will strongly recommend it.

C1 was better than Zensor vokal ,while C2 was better than C1. Hope you got it.
Thanks Rajith, hunt is on to find who in bangalore stocks the emotivas.. Checked with htstore and homecinema and they don't have stocks. Seems there are issues with the distributor.. Any other leads if you are aware ?

L4S - home cinema has the xtz center's both the spirit 8 and the 95 series.. are they equally great ?

Got the c1+ from Music ranch Bangalore. Super excited ..Will update once I hook it up.. Felt it is built like a tank !!

Back