Surge & Spike suppressor

Shivam

Has anyone here made a surge and spike suppressor ? I am looking for a good design for making one.

500Rs belkin Suppressor comes why to make spending 1k+hassles ?
..if u want to make line filter i can give you some link.

A good surge and spike suppressor is one that takes care of problems due to devices on the power line (like fridges, CFLs, TV etc.. including the ones from power house) as well as protects system from high voltages like the one during lightening storm. The wires and contacts used in a good suppressor are heavy and of good quality (unlike the chinese so called suppressors).

Belkin Suppressor is a joke (though not as bad as the other similar strips). To me they are all a little better than simple power extension strips. When I think of a spike and surge conditioner, I think on the lines of Monster Power and similar products.

Why don't I buy Monster Power then ? Well, it's the fun of doing it yourself rather than saving money that made me start this thread.

belkin is just low cost suppressor .. then if you go diy for something like Monster Digital PowerCenter question comes how do you test it ?

The moment you said belkin is a joke , have you got technical data that suggested it or just
looking at the plugs/plastic you have concluded.

surge suppressor 's time constant , clamping voltage etc you need to determine ,
there needs a very fast cut off circuit for high voltage below the clamping voltage .

I think filtering the CFL interference etc is the job of a line filter
cosmetic changes in sockets , thicker wires inside the casing for wiring them is not enough reasons to go DIY line filter/suppressor .. yes fun is there always .

I have seen the insides of a Belkin too apart from other surge suppressor strips commonly being sold. The most important components that they use are two-three Metal Oxide VDRs / Varistors (MOV). The joule rating of 500 or so rupees strip was around 300joules.

I am thinking in terms of above 1000joules (if you compare this misleading value) with multiple MOV and Gas Discharge tubes working at various stages. Testing will obviously be a problem in a home setup but going by a good circuit I hope to do a good job.

I also want to avoid flimsy plugs, sockets and thin wires as used in these strips.

If you have any good circuits diagram, please do share it with me. I have a couple of diagrams with me but I need one that works as all the three- Surge suppressor, Spike Suppressor and a power conditioner.

hi eric welcome to the forum and many diy fanas here.. m sure they will help you.. search the forum and you will get the replies.. if you looking for some new design of speakers and have somethin in mind.. do open a new thread and let people punch in new ideas for you..

not deviating from the forum but welcoming our new member.. have a nice time here..

back to the thread again...

I am still looking for a good model to follow. I am based in India so the circuit that I need will be slightly different from what will work in US (different voltage and frequency). I am using a surge/spike suppressor that I got from a friend of mine.

I am still looking for a good model to follow. I am based in India so the circuit that I need will be slightly different from what will work in US (different voltage and frequency). I am using a surge/spike suppressor that I got from a friend of mine.
Have you gone through FELIX project? you will get many ideas
Felix project

teaser pic :
P1000797.JPG

Back