surround sound from LCD/LED/Plasma to HT

cmarella

Hi Guys,

I posted similar question on other thread (sammy 43e490 owners). Pls bear with me for starting a new thread, as i could not find much info on this, and it might be basic stuff understood by default.

Most of the HD Tvs have Digital audio out and audio out, and as per a samsung model spec(link provided below), 5.1 surround sound is sent to HT only when "TV is receiving a DTV signal". What does this mean? and it also says that, an audio signal that TV receives through HDMI, will be downgraded to stereo on Digital audio out.

My intention is to get surround sound when source is USB device connected to TV (as sammy in particular, plays most of formats including BRRips and i can avoid a BlueRay palyer :))
Other wise i don't see any value in playing just video through USB, without surround sound on HT.

Page 11 from the following link

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...1458921/[UC7000-NA]BN68-02627A-07L03-0903.pdf

??DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)
xxWhen a Digital Audio System is connected to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack, decrease the volume
of both the TV and the system.
xx 5.1 CH (channel) audio is available when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1 CH.
xxWhen the receiver (home theater) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TVs optical jack. When the
TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theater receiver. When the source is
a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is
connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theater receiver. If you want to
hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite
receiver directly to an amplifier or home theater.
??AUDIO OUT: Connects to the audio input jacks on your amplifier/DVD home theater.
xxWhen connecting, use the appropriate connector.
xxWhen an audio amplifier is connected to the AUDIO OUT jacks: Decrease the volume of the TV and adjust the
volume level with the amplifiers volume control.

Last edited:
I have tried using the digital out (optical) of a friends LG LED and my panasonic plasma which sends 5.1 signals to my HT.

My samsung LED B6000 doesn't have an optical out so cant confirm whether it is capable of doing so. However I believe than if you are playing a mkv file over USB the sammy will be capable of sending the 5.1 DD or DTS stream to the HD however if you are using a HDMI input from a bluray player the output will 2.0 digital (this is some DRM s**t which prevents them of doing so".

If you TV is not capable of doing so over USB you can buy a cheap HDD media player like Asus for 4500 rupees.

Last edited:
see frstly the files should have 6 channel encoded.
secondly tvs onboard player should not dowgrade it into 2 channel.
if both the above cases are okay.....then the optical out from tv into ht optical in will work great and 6 channel sound will come into qaction.
by the way which ht do you have??

and for downloded contents a 3.5k asus o play mini is great solution......decoding and control will be much better than tvs onboard player

Optical OUT from the tv should send the raw undecoded sound to the htib.
So if the USB attached to the TV has a file that contains 5.1 surround sound like dolby digital, they would be sent via optical without decoding.

see frstly the files should have 6 channel encoded.
secondly tvs onboard player should not dowgrade it into 2 channel.
if both the above cases are okay.....then the optical out from tv into ht optical in will work great and 6 channel sound will come into qaction.
by the way which ht do you have??

and for downloded contents a 3.5k asus o play mini is great solution......decoding and control will be much better than tvs onboard player

Thanks prosenjit ..
1. I expect surround sound from 6 channel content only.
2. can i control tv onboard player to NOT downgrade and send to digital audio out? Do all HDTV (mostly entry level sammy, panny plasmas, as i planning one of them) have this option?

I have Onkyo HTS 3300, which i am very pleased with :)

Yeah, may be i should look for media player instead of blueray player, as most of my source is downloaded 720p brrips

Optical OUT from the tv should send the raw undecoded sound to the htib.
So if the USB attached to the TV has a file that contains 5.1 surround sound like dolby digital, they would be sent via optical without decoding.

Thanks Dirac.

Spec and other souces say that if HDMI input to TV is output as stereo on Optical OUT (digital audio out). As our friends say, if i have RAW mode option in TV as dvd players have, that would be great.
Let HDTV owners give their input on this.

cant say about higher ones..but the e400,470 and 490 and panny x series...(ask about xt users.. cant say)dont have much control in the tvs onboard player...no bitstreaming...so a asus 3.5k player is very sweet solution for you.as you have the 3300..let it do the decoding..asus o play mini do have bitstreaming funciontlity

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back