Tannoy Turnberry GR quandry

panditji

Hi, I own a pair of Tannoy Turnberry GR speakers since the last 6 years and have just recently cone into the pocession of a pair of extra Turnberry GR drivers..

Confused if I should sell the speakers and get custom made speakers with the GR drivers with the best possible parts available or keep the speakers and use the drivers for another project..

Totally confused as of now... Need help from fellow mad men/women...

Hi, I own a pair of Tannoy Turnberry GR speakers since the last 6 years and have just recently cone into the pocession of a pair of extra Turnberry GR drivers..

Confused if I should sell the speakers and get custom made speakers with the GR drivers with the best possible parts available or keep the speakers and use the drivers for another project..

Those are some excellent speakers. Best to build an other pair...and then compare the two...and then sell off the inferior one

Keep the speaker and sell the drivers :) Tannoy speakers need to be looked holistic in terms of the design even the wood used to give it the tonality.

Else go for some other design ie a horn loaded etc if you want to experiment..but I would say either keep the speaker or get larger driver to get a different speaker.

Tannoy speakers need to be looked holistic in terms of the design even the wood used to give it the tonality.
Nope, in the case of this particular speaker. It's made of dense particle board (no big deal IMO to replicate or even better) and very high quality veneer (which doesn't contribute an iota to the sonics).

You will not be able to replicate the bracing used or the finish (if that is important). Nor the distributed port system used.

Long answer: you might come close to the original sound if you build a new cabinet. Or not! You may like the sonics of the new cabinet better. Or not! Are you prepared to open up the speaker cabinet to reverse engineer?

Short answer: You will know only after you build.

My advice FWIW: sell the drivers.

I would have have preferred to build another pair with the drivers and compare ... but you would know what works better fo you. :)

Where did you happen to source the drivers from and also the cost ?

I would have have preferred to build another pair with the drivers and compare ... but you would know what works better fo you. :)

Where did you happen to source the drivers from and also the cost ?
I bought them from Tannoy themselves.. Shipped directly from their factory.. Can't tell you how I managed to convince them though

Although I am into DIY stuff myself, but when it comes to speakers, there is always that something special about the original factory-built speakers. They always seem to sound better to my ears. For Tannoys, Altecs, etc the intrinsic value of ownership also matters and this of course is much higher for the original factory-built speakers (in original cabs). Getting an original new unit or a new old stock unit is my preference, compared to a DIY unit or in the case of speaker drivers, a used or re-coned unit. For me it would have been a no-brainer, I would have sold the drivers and kept the original.

A different question. If the drivers ( that you acquired ) are the same, what are you trying to achieve by making a new cabinet ? If it is an upgraded speaker, then why don't you upgrade the crossover in the existing speaker ? A new cabinet is a hit or miss so all that sounds rather counter productive.

If you acquire a much higher grade driver, then all that makes sense.

A different question. If the drivers ( that you acquired ) are the same, what are you trying to achieve by making a new cabinet ? If it is an upgraded speaker, then why don't you upgrade the crossover in the existing speaker ? A new cabinet is a hit or miss so all that sounds rather counter productive.

If you acquire a much higher grade driver, then all that makes sense.

Greed...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back