Tata Sky to launch HDTV This Year

TS+ comes with Component Video output which is capable of transmitting HD signals. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong.

Sure, but that is only part of the story. HDTV signals are encoded using mpeg4 AVC --> h264 standard using the "high profile". that requires a pretty powerful hardware decoder to decode. I have not seen anywhere confirmation that the tatasky+ has such capability. It does have a mpeg4 decoder, but afaik, that is using the ASP (Advanced simple profile"

senthil - just to draw a comparision.. most dvd players also decode mpeg4 (divx), and they have component out (Even HDMI) - can they play HD content.. of any sort?

i would of course be thrilled to get confirmation that ts+ is hd capable, it would ease my personal transition to a "fully HD" household

kapvin

TS+ comes with Component Video output which is capable of transmitting HD signals. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong.
Although you are technically correct, it is not going to happen. For one, a lot of HDTVs now a days do not have component inputs and secondly copywright owners may not allow High Definition broadcasts of their intellectual property via a unprotected analog connection. Thus HDMI with HDCP will most probably be a requirement for all HD set-top boxes.

Although you are technically correct, it is not going to happen. For one, a lot of HDTVs now a days do not have component inputs and secondly copywright owners may not allow High Definition broadcasts of their intellectual property via a unprotected analog connection. Thus HDMI with HDCP will most probably be a requirement for all HD set-top boxes.

that is not correct. the worry is mainly making bit-perfect copies of the digital stream. unprotected digital (not unprotected analog) is the issue, Consequently, hdmi or DVi+ hdcp to prevent that.

even blu-ray allows HD analogue video outputs from component sockets (constraints, if any are due to the player and not anything else). sure, there is image constraint token to "downgrade resolution" to 540p but as of today, no BD has enforced it. so anyone can watch hi res using an htpc & analogue connection without any hassles. - you can check this on your own blu-ray player- should allow at least 1080i / 720p without any hassle.

of course using HDMI for HD makes much more sense from the perspective of consistent quality, but analogue / copy protection is not a constraining factor

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back