Technics SL 2000

What is the difference between Technics SL-D3 & SL 2000? Just want to have a indepth understanding about it

Not too much but the primary difference is that the SL D3 is a fully automatic turntable while the SL2000 is a manual turntable. The durability, lastability and critical performance of manuals, tend to be better as the mechanicals are much simpler and the tone arm is an independent entity. For automatics, calibration needs to be spot on and in some cases, vibrations, etc are transferred from the motor assembly to the tonearm assembly which effects performance. Its easier to change the tonearm (or upgrade it) on a manual as the tonearm is independent. Keeping these factors in mind, manuals are heavily preferred over automatics. However some lazy listeners like me, don't like automatics but crave to have at least the tonearm return to base after playing a record. That's why we prefer semi-automatics :)

Edit: interesting reading on the subject (which is generic and not specific to the SL D3 vs SL 2000): http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=414738

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the replies guys! As Reuben said its been an amazing experience buying the TT from Shafic. The way he followed up before and after the shipping and the extreme care taken towards packing is really worth mentioning. Mr Shafi you sir are the true gentleman :) Really looking forward to visiting you in February.
Now yes, as Reuben had suggested I have kept a piece of paper folded under one of the feet and it's made that aesthetic difference. If any FMs have spare Technics Feet to give away I'd be more than happy to procure them :)
As far as the dustcover is concerned I'm really happy with the way it is, have to look up on fabricating one of these, but my current priority would be to get a stylus for the M 44-7. Have been checking upon the links shared by Reuben and FM quad. All these aside, I am so happy the turntable is here and even happier the way its sounding. Couldn't have asked for more. Ultimately its the music that matters and to see the music being churned out, the feeling is priceless.

Congrats on the TT!! I was narrowly beaten to it by you, as I was just about to send a PM to FM Shafic regarding the SL 2000 when I found out it was gone (I wanted a second TT, for my girlfriend, who now wants to join the club)
Anyway, my loss..your gain :) Have a good time enjoying your acquisition!

Not too much but the primary difference is that the SL D3 is a fully automatic turntable while the SL2000 is a manual turntable. The durability, lastability and critical performance of manuals, tend to be better as the mechanicals are much simpler and the tone arm is an independent entity. For automatics, calibration needs to be spot on and in some cases, vibrations, etc are transferred from the motor assembly to the tonearm assembly which effects performance. Its easier to change the tonearm (or upgrade it) on a manual as the tonearm is independent. Keeping these factors in mind, manuals are heavily preferred over automatics. However some lazy listeners like me, don't like automatics but crave to have at least the tonearm return to base after playing a record. That's why we prefer semi-automatics :)

Edit: interesting reading on the subject (which is generic and not specific to the SL D3 vs SL 2000): Automatic vs. Manual TT's - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Any difference in sound quality?

Any difference in sound quality?

An automatic that is not well maintained can be noisy. Calibration can also upset the performance if not done properly (for example: if the tone arm loses its calibration, inner groove distortion will show up). However all said and done, these are unlikely to happen if the automatic is maintained well and used regularly/carefully. Sound quality depends on a lot of other factors though.

Over time, I've noticed that if you activate the stop button on some older Technics automatics, the speed actually slows down before the tonearm lifts up and returns to base. Never noticed this on semi-automatics.

Why is N44 prices so high now? I remember buying it for 1300.

Yup...the prices have gone north since last year. I bought it for 2K a few months ago. In fact, the M44-7 cart is now selling for near 7K and at places, even for 7.5K. I remember buying it for about 5K.

May be since the rupee has 'rupeed' (read: rupeed= freefall:D), inflation and the TT vogues or may be combination of all.

Nice site. They seem to have a new Stanton and two Audio Technica TTs too at prices a bit lower than others (LP120 costs 32000 there while ngh gives it for 45000!. It costs under 15000 in the US is a different thing). Its a good service. I only wish it expands to give options like TTL: DJ Equipment, Turntables, Headphones, Electronics, Apparel & More - TurntableLab.com — TurntableLab.com in the US and some others. And prices like that one would be heaven. I sometimes really wonder if they are all being made in China, why aren't they cheap here due to lower distances to ship. I guess everyone gets them from US instead of the OEMs in China.
Are custom duties in US one of the lowest by any chance?

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back