The top DACs in the planet were on sale in Audiogon last week....

essrand

My subjective DAC ratings based on spending way too much time on audio forums on a slow Thursday :)

1. Wadax Atlantis Reference DAC and Server
2. Nagra HD DAC X
3. MSB Select II
4. Nagra Tube DAC
5. Lampizator Pacific Mk2
6. DCS Vivaldi Apex
7 , 8, 9, 10 : TBD (don't care)

There are others (Ideon, Aries Cerat) , but haven't seen any direct compares or purchase decisions on the forums so far.

Interestingly all of them (except #4) were on sale at half off on Audiogon last week. Some still are, if you hurry up, you can snap them before they are gone ..... :)

Interestingly all of them (except #4) were on sale at half off on Audiogon last week. Some still are, if you hurry up, you can snap them before they are gone ..... :)

I use to browse USaudioimart and Audiogon for preowned gear & had almost struck a deal.The sellers are generally honest & one can judge by their ratings. There are good deals on both especially Usaudiomart. There are 2 main issues of going through this route. One is that most of the equipment requiring electricity will be 110V adhering to US standards. Secondly even if you purchase them, the cost of logistics to India & customs duty + taxes don't make it a VFM proposition.
If you are planning to go to the US & pick it up from there & get it in person to India then it could be worthwhile.

I use to browse USaudioimart and Audiogon for preowned gear & had almost struck a deal.The sellers are generally honest & one can judge by their ratings. There are good deals on both especially Usaudiomart. There are 2 main issues of going through this route. One is that most of the equipment requiring electricity will be 110V adhering to US standards. Secondly even if you purchase them, the cost of logistics to India & customs duty + taxes don't make it a VFM proposition.
If you are planning to go to the US & pick it up from there & get it in person to India then it could be worthwhile.
If I ever build a new house, I will wire my room with a massive 100 Volt transformer and get used gear from Japan :D

My subjective DAC ratings based on spending way too much time on audio forums on a slow Thursday :)

2. Nagra HD DAC X
3. MSB Select II
4. Nagra Tube DAC
6. DCS Vivaldi Apex

There are others (Ideon, Aries Cerat) , but haven't seen any direct compares or purchase decisions on the forums so far.

I was hoping the topping D90 would make the cut :p

2. Nagra HD DAC X
3. MSB Select II
4. Nagra Tube DAC
6. DCS Vivaldi Apex

I got all excited and double checked my bank account, and then checked out the above dacs on audiogon. Guess all I need to do now, is to wait till they are 95% off 🤣

Manu, I wish that could be possible :) Those guys are so lucky to get good deals at sensible prices.
The duty and taxes here kill the enthusiasm of a good deal.
Very true indeed. In the west, if audio was the only perversion one had. A normal working person can put together a great sounding system buying used.

Ive tried to do my bit to help others, by offering my own kit for sale, but no one bought anything 🤣

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back