Thinking of buying a stereo Amp

sabarirjpm

Hi. I have been thinking of having my first stereo setup. I almost froze to Norge 2060+ Wharf 9.2 combo. Now I went to a used amp seller and found that there is a Kenwood Amp KA4040R. What would you people suggest about the Vintage Amps. I tried googling but I was not able to get anything out of it except the specs which says it is 2 x 70 Watts (8 Ohms) 2 x 90 Watts (4 Ohms). How legitimate would it be to go with an used amp? I am looking at having it for a longer term. Kindly suggest.

I was quoted Rs 4,500 for this.

I really do not know about this particular amp but should be better than Norge I guess. PM our forum members Anilkumar and Rajiv; they have lot of knowledge on vintage stuff.

One thing to remember though is, old stuff is prone to faults due to drying up of electrolyte in the caps, resistors changing values, dry solder issues, carbon built up in volume knob and other pots. You should be prepared to lug the amp to a knowledgeable service guy.

Hi Sabari,

If budget is not a constraint, go for Yamaha Amps AX 497 (around 85 wpc), costs Rs.18.5 k at Chennai. Also check out for AS500 which I guess will cost around the same price, and it has good reviews in whathifi. For Marantz you can check out PM5003 (45 wpc)which costs around Rs.16.5K at chennai. Get some good speakers and have a blast.

BTW what is your room size and music preference.

N.Murali

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back