This can be connected to a TV"s HDMI?

Yes you can connect PC HDMI>TV HDMI

But make sure that TV HDCP ver should match PC GPU HDCP. i e. HDMI 2.2 or 2.3 or else you will get an HDCP compliance error and won't be able to play 4K content with HD audio. I don't think this PC is a match.

Should you buy a PC u can consider Intel NUC 8th or 11th gen only.

Alternative - If you already have a laptop to download movies you can consider Nvidia 2019 Pro and connect ur HDD to play back movies. Ur HDD will also be on network and can access remotely from any other device and stream on another device (network player) also.

Last edited:
I have a pc and a laptop both given to my children recently. Thought of buying just an inexpensive refurbished desktop and have it connected to my lg cx 65" to write emails, books, store excel reports, photoshop, presentations etc...

I have a pc and a laptop both given to my children recently. Thought of buying just an inexpensive refurbished desktop and have it connected to my lg cx 65" to write emails, books, store excel reports, photoshop, presentations etc...
For that it will be more than enough 👍🏼

Looks to be a Display Port - that little bend at the bottom of the pin array inside and squared hole. A DP to HDMI converter would do the conversion. I have used TV with mini DP port of MS Surface Pro 4 with a converter and it worked.

Thank you so much everyone. One other thing is, refurbished computers used to be serving the purpose a decade ago. Is it the same these days? Do they last like they used to? Positive reviews are there in these sites but anybody have personal good experiences with this gamble?

I bought a hp tiny desktop from a site called oldlappy. Com for 15k. It was a ryzen based machine and I'm very happy with it. After upgrading Ram and hdd to SSD, it runs older games very smoothly. The used one i got was luckily in warranty. I paid 6k and got two more years of hp direct warranty. I'm using it with my sony tv using a dp to hdmi adapter

Thank you so much everyone. One other thing is, refurbished computers used to be serving the purpose a decade ago. Is it the same these days? Do they last like they used to? Positive reviews are there in these sites but anybody have personal good experiences with this gamble?
I haven't bought a refurbished PC. However, my 2014 Mac Mini is still usable though I don't use these days. A PC I assembled in 2007 worked till 2014 before I got the Mac Mini and gave away the PC in working condition. I was surprised to see that the desktop we had in our office was from 2010 before they gave us laptop in 2021!!! Desktops would hold on to their "life" or can be easily put back to "life" as far as I know - every part being discrete and easily replaceable. Obsolescence may be an issue when trying to get new parts.

How they'd fare with new editions of OS or other software could be an issue. That's the same with any machine. @headcase had suggested getting a 11th gen Intel Nuc. That way you'd be up to date and without compatibility issues till MS kill Win 11.

Another option is a Chromebox i.e., a computer with Chrome OS. I had a Vaio from 2011 that ran Win 8 and upgrading to Win 10 would have been suicidal. Battery was holding for 1 hr max. Very slow response too. In 2020 when we had remote working I converted it into a Chromebook. It became so fast that I forgot I was working from remote. Battery got extended to 2.5 to 3 hrs. For all general purpose it is good. If you are Android user all apps on your phone would be available over there too. With Chromebox or a Chromebook easy to cast to your TV too if is Android (or with a Chromecast attached)

Another option is a Chromebox i.e., a computer with Chrome OS. I had a Vaio from 2011 that ran Win 8 and upgrading to Win 10 would have been suicidal. Battery was holding for 1 hr max. Very slow response too. In 2020 when we had remote working I converted it into a Chromebook. It became so fast that I forgot I was working from remote. Battery got extended to 2.5 to 3 hrs. For all general purpose it is good. If you are Android user all apps on your phone would be available over there too. With Chromebox or a Chromebook easy to cast to your TV too if is Android (or with a Chromecast attached)
i have another older desktop lying in the loft idle. Can that be installed chrome OS and be used for ms office applications and movie achieving?

i have another older desktop lying in the loft idle. Can that be installed chrome OS and be used for ms office applications and movie achieving?
It can be used in install Chrome OS if it powers up. If that desktop is not being used, why not try it. I did a documentation of my journey to Chrome OS that is attached. It is old (2020) but hopefully can guide you through.

As for MS Office with Chrome OS I am not very sure. Google have their apps for documents, spreadsheets, presentation if you can be okay with them. I think you can still use MS Office apps through Chrome Extensions. For movies and music I used VLC Media Player. There are plenty of apps on Playstore.

I parted with that laptop when I got an irresistible offer of Dirham 500 if I bought a Win laptop from a local dealer or else I could have tested it out to clear your queries.

Attachments

• My Chrome OS journey.pdf
    129.5 KB · Views: 4
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back