This one is really good( and funny!)

Am I an audiophile ?

I asked myself this after reading the article. I told myself that I dont own an expensive audio system so I dont think that I am. I have not even listened to any high end audio systems so I for sure am not an audiophile. This I told myself very well knowing that I did not want to be labelled as one after reading many a article on the net taking a dig on audiophiles, albeit humorously.

On an Impulse, I changed my car rear speakers from my aging sony to Polk Audio and lost my sub-woofer in the process. So I now have this system which has no lows and quite shrill and harsh highs. I was expecting to miss the lows but was not expecting the highs to sound harsh and um, bright. After a bit of tweaking with the Eq's , I have brought it down to acceptable levels. But then I was not happy with the mids. The vocals were not sounding natural. Brian Adams Cuts like a knife was not cutting it for me at all.

I was listening to Crossover Vocalists on Accuradio on my Sony mini with the sub turned on and I was thinking that the bass was overpowering and that the sub was um, loose.

Reflecting back on this, I am now not quite sure if I can categorically state that I am not an audiophile. Am I on my way of turning into an Audiophile ? Did HiFiVison have any part to play in this ? Am I getting older and thus simply finding shrill highs and disproportionate lows irritating ?

Time and further reflections will surely tell.

Come to think of it, my only gripe with being an audiophile is spending money in excess of ones means on HiFi. Everything else that an audiophile does in his pursuit to find the ultimate sound is at worst comical to both the layman and the audiophile in me.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back