Tidal HiFi Lossless Streaming Service

aashish351

Hi Folks!

It has been a long time since I posted in the forum. I was really tied up with academic work load for the past 12 months. Anyway, came across this new lossless streaming service called Tidal Hifi here in UK. I have just started the 7-day trial and listening to it right now. I will reserve my comments on sound quality till I reach home and listen to it through my DAC and Grado SR80i. But it sounds good even through the 30 RHA 350 in-ears (for those not familiar, it is a Scotland based headphone maker and the entry level model 350, I think, is far better than the current popular choice - Soundmagic E10). But I digress.

What I can comment on right now is the streaming service quality - no buffering problems at all till now (a few extra seconds at start and track changes) on my University's connection (which is of course very good at 30 mbps through wifi). So I will also try this on mobile 3G/4G while on the move and report back. But I don't think that matters, because, the real advantage is for those of us who care more about proper home listening with the benefits of streaming (discovery, convenience) without compromising on sound quality. And the home broadband connections of 4 or 8 mbps should also work. Tidal says it needs at least 2 mbps. They have already tied up with Sonos and Bluesound and it works on all device platforms - iOS, Android, Mac, PC etc.

There are three settings for quality - AAC 96, AAC 320 and FLAC 1411 (Yes really!). Needless to say the last one is all I am interested in. There is no free ad-supported service, which again I am happy with. The price is a bit high at 20 per month, but still worth it, if the sound quality truly matches CD listening on proper systems.

I don't know if all of you will be able to try this as it says the service is available only in UK and US right now, but, its worth a shot still. Do let me know if you try and it works. There are alternatives like QOBUZ and Deezer Elite, but those again I think are not in India yet (am i right?). I tried QOBUZ but was not happy with the interface. Tidal on the other hand is almost like Spotify.

That's it for now. Stay tuned for updates.

Best,
Aashish

Impressions after a 1-hour session:

Setup: Tidal HiFi PC Software, quality setting FLAC 1411, Audiolab Q-DAC, Grado SR80i, Fisual USB Cable.

Alternative: 16/44.1 FLACs from Linn & HDTracks, Mediamonkey (selected DirectSound output to match Tidal software), Audiolab Q-DAC, Grado SR80i, Fisual USB Cable.

Lossless streaming is real and here to stay! Linn Records, HD Tracks etc. have a lot to worry about. I was hard pressed to find any major difference. If I am literally forced to list a difference - the files from Linn/HDTracks played via Mediamonkey were a bit more resolved and sounded detailed but with a quieter background. But let me stress once again - I had to strain my ears really hard to find a difference. Maybe the difference might be more pronounced on a higher level setup than mine at the moment.

Do they also have a free service like Spotify? In that case it should be possible to access it here in India using Hola Internet unblocker. But I guess the free one will not be lossless streaming!

Only 7-day free trial. Otherwise, you can browse and listen to 30-second clips at reduced quality - in other words, no! Why don't you try anyway using Hola. If it works, you can also pay by PayPal, which I think helps go around the UK/US credit card requirement.

I can certainly try it out. But 20 pounds per month is nearly Rs 2000/. It's a bit too high for us in India! Hope they introduce it here officially at " local prices" !

Bumping this, instead of starting a new thread.

Anyone using it in India? Any reviews for it?

I plan to subscribe for the FLAC/lossless streaming. Just wanted to inquire if the service in India is working as advertised before I sign up.

I think statiscally if we have a collection of 3000 flacs, we only listen frequently to a say 20 - 25% of the lot. The bigger the collection, the lesser this percentage. So instead of paying 20 GBP per month I would rather use that money to buy original CDs of my favourites.

I think statiscally if we have a collection of 3000 flacs, we only listen frequently to a say 20 - 25% of the lot. The bigger the collection, the lesser this percentage. So instead of paying 20 GBP per month I would rather use that money to buy original CDs of my favourites.

Cannot argue with that.

Though I suppose one could argue about discovery, though that is easily achievable with free YouTube and/or free Spotify.

I'm in an unusual predicament, where I will be spending the next few months in 3 different locations and cannot carry my main rig. I will have to make do with a streaming service and a single portable wireless speaker.

Google Music offers to store 20000 of your songs and stream wherever you want, I think in lossless too (not sure about that last bit).

Anything les than 1000 INR, i will interested to subscribe TIDAL in INDIA.

It's not that buy those tracks which is your favorite, if you have the subscription you can explore so many other songs which you may not hear ever and it will be lost in the SEA :D

I am using Spotify (free) and Apple Music (3 month trial that is coming to a close). I'm not much of an Apple fan, and Spotify does not Chromecast as a free service. My thinking is to go for high quality streaming as opposed to MP3 quality streaming if I'm going to pay for it. Lots of happy Tidal plus Chromecast users over at Computer Audiophile.

With the closing of Rdio, there don't seem to be any quality, but cheap alternatives.

anyone used tidal with VPN? Does one need to remain on VPN after creating your account? Anyone used any steamers with tidal in India using Tidal service from within the streamer app ( eg Bluesound or auralic apps) . I am just hesitant that like spotify you will get " Not available in your region" most of the times.

Contrary to what I used to think, probably 2 years ago, that lossy musics from Spotify, Pandora etc. are crap, I think with a decent system (with a good DAC), these services are still (very much) enjoyable. You get to know several different types of music that I am sure would be exorbitantly expensive if we start collecting CDs for them.

anyone used tidal with VPN? Does one need to remain on VPN after creating your account? Anyone used any steamers with tidal in India using Tidal service from within the streamer app ( eg Bluesound or auralic apps) . I am just hesitant that like spotify you will get " Not available in your region" most of the times.

I'm using Tidal and yes you'll need VPN. I've accessed it when traveling with VPN and it works great. No issues with region when using VPN.

Coming to streamers it works with Auralic. It also works with the BubbleUPnP app and can be streamed via Chromecast, and Sonos.

Hmm nice.. am planning on getting an auralic aries mini...
Currently apple music has really helped me explore new music.. and is not bad when in the gym and not bad for home either...

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back