took an audition and landed into depression

deepdown11

Hi guys,
this is my first post here.
getting straight to the point
i am not an audiophile, but appreciate good crisp music good bass.
i want to buy a ht by diwali.
started research on this website.
since my budget was around 35k, my choice boiled down to yamaha yht298 or onkyo 3400.
i went to a store just to have a look.
landed with the below
1) both these models have been upgraded and yamaha yht299 has problems with its subwoofer ( as informed by the salesperson)
2) onkyo did not sound as good.
3) got greedy and started looking at 5.1 ch speakers with front floor standing speakers.
now started the depression
1) the sales guy says that a good system i.e denon x500 is a good one, listened to it and really appreciated it. but price was 43000
2) coming to floor standing speakers, he only had jamo for demo which was hitched to harmon kardon with a paradigm active sub and 2 jamo satellite speakers at the back. This package was for 55000

came to a conclusion which need to be addressed by you guys.
i think i should buy a good avr first, something for 25000 and buy some silly philips or sony 5.1 ch speakers for around 10000
buy a good pair of floor standing speakers maybe 6 months down the line.
then maybe a year from now buy a nice sub woofer and 5.1 ch speaker wiich would cost around 30000.

If anyone has any other suggestions then please says so.

what do you say guys????

If you want to buy something after 6 months, why don't you go down the EMI path and get an AVR + good pair of Bookshelves?

A serious AVR of may burn the speakers from Philips or Sony of that price. So be careful on that.

I would suggest an AVR as you thought of and a pair of decent floor stander from Sonodyne or Yamaha for around 15k or so. Later add center and sub. And pair of surround when possible.

AVR - around 25K
One pair of Sonodyne 1501 bookshelves for front right and left - 11K

This is well around your budget, and will keep you happy. Better than Yamaha and Onkyo packages. If you can stretch for another 6K get the Sonodyne 2501 center. Then when pocket permits get surrounds. The Sonodyne speakers are capable pieces in this meager price point. Sonodyne is offering a 20% discount from 20th to the end of the month on exchange of any old AV product. Grab the opportunity and be happy !

i think i should buy a good avr first, something for 25000 and buy some silly philips or sony 5.1 ch speakers for around 10000
buy a good pair of floor standing speakers maybe 6 months down the line.
then maybe a year from now buy a nice sub woofer and 5.1 ch speaker wiich would cost around 30000.

If anyone has any other suggestions then please says so.

what do you say guys????

Buy AVR = 25,000/-
Buy front speakers (bookshelf - 13000-18000 or Floorstanders for 20,000-25000) In this segment Sonodyne is value for money. You can alternatively look for preused speakers in the wanted section.

Someone is selling his Poineer fronts and centre. Check the sale section.

Later you can add a sub woofer for bass lover (around 20000-30000)
Also can add a centre (especially for movie watches) cost around 8000-15000/-

And at last you can add rear/ surround speakers. (Rs.10,000/-)

You will be very happy with this set up but instead of Rs.35000/- you will be end up paying up around 70,000 to 80,000 at least (double your budget).

1) the sales guy says that a good system i.e denon x500 is a good one, listened to it and really appreciated it. but price was 43000

are you sure x500 comes for 43K? Its MRP is around 31K, so that must be X1000 you mixed up with. In sub 30K you will get Denon, Marantz AVRs

I saw your other thread/post too and replied there. To sum it up, the surgeon general must put up warning on audio equipment ...

*** Warning***
Listening to audio equipment can seriously damage your wealth

or

Auditioning bankrupts

I saw your other thread/post too and replied there. To sum it up, the surgeon general must put up warning on audio equipment ...

*** Warning***
Listening to audio equipment can seriously damage your wealth

or

Auditioning bankrupts

Ha ha ha ha, 100% true!

went thru all ur suggestions and concluded the below
will buy an avr with a pair of floorstanding speakers to begin with.

Has anyone got a say about norge avr ???
seems its made in mumbai and a good one might cost something around 10 to 15 k.
will be checking reviews later
Also if i pick a norge for 10 and a good floor stander for 15- 20 k, i will be left with about 10 for a centre speaker.
i think this should start me up with amateur listening.
what say guys???

I don't advise a Norge amps (I don't believe they even have AVR's - AVR and Amp are not the same) when you desire a HT. If you want to build a stereo setup then you can go for a norge , but from what I understand you need a nice AVR. If you had messaged me earlier, I could have sold you my Yamaha AVR, but it's almost sold.

Last edited:
ok guys am going for checking a deal out tomorrow
the deal is a 1 yr old onkyo 307 with 5.1 ch speakers and a new set of jamo 426 with it for 35 k
please tell me if it is worth it

ok guys am going for checking a deal out tomorrow
the deal is a 1 yr old onkyo 307 with 5.1 ch speakers and a new set of jamo 426 with it for 35 k
please tell me if it is worth it

Hi,

#Decide where you want to stop, you budget else as everyone said listening will harm your wealth ;). I started with listening to Rs.2000 2.1 speakers and they sounded good when standing right in front of them and ended up spending much more than that. I am a movie fan, love music as well.

1. Consider the location where you are going to place them.
2. Decide you want Bookshelf Vs Tower.
3. What ever you do, dont buy without listening, also try if you can listen with same gear that you are going to buy.
4. Take your time to build you system(it took me almost a year, i still using old Sony speakers for surround and no sub at present - wealth problem :D )
5. Audition speakers that fit your budget and then match speaker + AMP/Receiver. Start with 2.1 and slowly build your system, you will love it.

Read a lot, atleast have a setup in your mind, what you expect out of it. What all components you want.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back