Mera Saaya
Naunihal
Neela Akash
Neend Hamari Khwab Tumhare
Parwana
Sanjog
Sharabi
Woh Kaun Thi

Madan Mohan and Kaifi Azmi combination was one of the best.
My all time favourite is Tum jo mil gaye ho from Hanste zakhm.

Great thread started. Thanks Prem

Request @hector2013 to contribute here - he loves Madan Mohan compositions and possess all rare LPs.
Thanks a lot @souravin for introducing me to this thread. You & Prem have done stupendous work in compiling a list of the best albums composed by Panchamda.

Regarding Madan Mohan, let me share some more titles with additional details which can be added to the list although Prem has very nicely complied a Top 25 List.

Jailor (1958): This film had an awesome solo, Hum Pyar Mein Jalnewalon Ko by Lata Mangeshkar. As far as I know, this song was only released by HMV in the 1975 compilation LP, Madan Mohan...A Tribute just after his death and it was again released in some later day compilation CDs.

Jalan (1978) and Inspector Eagle (1978): Both these 2 films had some very nice Asha Bhosle songs composed in 70s style. Both movie albums were released by HMV only in EPs.

Chaalbaaz (1979): This unreleased movie album was released by HMV in 45 rpm LP in 1979. Most probably, this album is the only one where the great lyricist Yogesh worked with Madan Mohan.
There are 4 very good songs in this album & the best one is the song, Raat Ujiyari Dil Andhera Hai which is a brilliant haunting melody by Lata Mangeshkar. The song has amazing psychedelic orchestration combined with a strong and haunting tune which makes it an unforgettable melody.
The 1st time, I have listened to this song was way back in 1986 during my school days in a compilation cassette named Haunting Melodies of Lata Mangeshkar & since them I was never been able to forget this song.

Veer Zara (2004): Last but not the least is Yash Chopra's Veer-Zaara which used old and untouched compositions of Madan Mohan.

I am not adding other decent to good albums like Ashiana or Madhosh into this list.

@prem, if possible, I would like to request you to create list for the following composers also::)
Some of them are quite underrated but had a good repertoire of hindi movie albums.

1. Bappi Lahiri (Top 20)
2. Rajesh Roshan (Top 10)
3. Usha Khanna (Top 5)
4. Ravindra Jain (Top 5)
4. Shiv-Hari (Top 5)
5. Hridaynath Mangeshkar (Top 5)
6. Hemant Bhosle (Top 5)

Thanks Hector2013. Some nice suggestions. Thanks. I had added Jailor and Veer Zaara. It was coming to 27. So had to drop 2 :)

You are right that the Jailor song is only there in A Tribute To Madan Mohan lp released in mid 70s.

Jailor (1958): This film had an awesome solo, Hum Pyar Mein Jalnewalon Ko by Lata Mangeshkar. As far as I know, this song was only released by HMV in the 1975 compilation LP, Madan Mohan...A Tribute just after his death and it was again released in some later day compilation CDs.
My dad who is from 1940 tells me that this song was a superhit and he and teenage friends saw this movie multiple times.

I will create a list for the music directors you mentioned. Give me a few days.
Thanks a lot Prem for your prompt response. :)

In fact we should create similar lists of other modern music directors like, Jatin-Lalit, Anu Malik, Nadeem-Shravan, Anand-Millind, Raam-Laxman etc.

Hector 2013, since you are supremely knowledgable and have a keen ear, why don’t you start a few top 10 lists?

I just posted a Bappi Lahiri top 20, a Usha Khanna top 10, a Ravindra Jain top 10, a top 5 Hridaynath Mangeshkar and a Shiv Hari top 5

I will make a Rajesh Roshan top 10 later. I don’t know much about Hemant Bhosale soundtracks. So suggest you make one.

Last edited:
My all time favourites of Madan Mohan:

Anpadh: Jiya Le Gayo Ji Mora Saawariya & Aap Ki Nazro Ne Samja
Dekh Kabira Roya: Kaun Aaya
Hantse Zakhm: Tum jo mil gaye ho
Haqeeqat: Ho Ke Majboor Mujhe
Heer Ranjha: Milo Naa Tum To Hum Ghabaraye
Mausam: Dil Dhoondhta Hai Phir Wohi (Happy Version - Lata, Bhupinder)
Mera Saaya: Nainon Mein Badra

Hector 2013, since you are supremely knowledgable and have a keen ear, why don’t you start a few top 10 lists?

I just posted a Bappi Lahiri top 20, a Usha Khanna top 10, a Ravindra Jain top 10, a top 5 Hridaynath Mangeshkar and a Shiv Hari top 5

I will make a Rajesh Roshan top 10 later. I don’t know much about Hemant Bhosale soundtracks. So suggest you make one.
Prem, I do not have knowledge like you and Sourav. :) But I will try to make a few top 10 or 5 list of the modern composers from the 90s.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back