Top 75 RD Burman Hindi Albums

As we chat, there is a book being written on the evolution of HMV in India. I work very closely with the author of that book. She’s writing a script for me.
That’s a book I look forward to read. HMV’s history is virtually the Indian film music recording’s history till the 70s/80s.

Let us know when it is published, @prem

Thanks @Naturelover for taking this action early

Folks : While all knowledge is welcome, Disrespect to anyone is not accepted and hence its been decided to ban Bhim Bhai for a month.
I read this whole amusing exchange today, two days after it happened. I don’t know what I’d had done if I was reading it then. Probably I’d have jumped into the argument myself.

But reading it all in one go together makes me wonder what it really was? Was it even a real person writing all that? In today’s world I don’t want to assume that.

My vivid imagination came up with two whacky possibilities I thought of sharing:

1. What if it was an AI powered chat bot primed up with certain chosen human attitudes and values? While that may not have been the case here, it’s quite a possibility in the not so far future. Imagine how much more complicated our moderators’ roles would become when that happens!

2. The second imagination was less futuristic, but more Bollywoodish. What if it was (and excuse me @prem here for even contemplating this, I know you’d take it in the humorous spirit it’s meant in), Prem’s ‘alter ego’? Now, wouldn’t that be the storyline for a psychological thriller? Like a thematic sequel to ‘Karthik Calling Karthik’! 😊

Last edited:
You should become a story teller SachinChavan :)

And that’s me saying that. Not my alter ego :)

Will let you know once the book is released. It’s meant to be a book on the evolution. Let’s hope it stays that way since the owners are actively involved

And of course, RD was known to adapt a lot of international songs to Indian sensibilities.
True. While I truly dig RD’s work, I never thought of him as a genius of the tunes (that was SD). RD’s greatness for me lay in his arrangements (what a musical sense!), his experimentation (the eternal quest to surprise) and his life-long collaborations (with lyricists, singers and musicians). Yes, a director’s job isn’t just about creative genius. It is no less a leadership role than the corporate honchos.

Last edited:
Unrelated to the topic but I felt I should post since we are talking about music,musicians and their history. The following is only my view but it is a strong one. It is not directed at anyone.

The sole blemish of music is that it's creator is humanity.

Deep one that !!

..And while AI is creating music, all the algorithms it has created will remain what it has learnt from human musicians . That is till we reach the point of singularity !

You should become a story teller SachinChavan :)

And that’s me saying that. Not my alter ego :)
Prem, feel free to make a film on this idea. But only after paying me my Re. 1 royalty! 😊
Will let you know once the book is released. It’s meant to be a book on the evolution. Let’s hope it stays that way since the owners are actively involved
The ownership and ownership transfers would themselves be interesting parts of the story. I am assuming the book is multi-faceted (from musical, technical as well as business angle) as well as multi-POV (that of the owners, the film music industry and the public).

One of the aspects about HMV that I wondered was its choice of music to promote. If I am not wrong, after its early years, HMV didn’t pursue non-film genres and almost exclusively focused on film music. I’d like to know the insider story on how (the why is easy to decipher) that happened.

And the second aspect I’d like to understand is how HMV perceived, understood (or failed to understand) and responded to the newer labels which started mushrooming in the 80s and eventually dislodged it from its pedestal.

SachinChavan, I don’t know what aspects they are covering in the book. It’s still under wraps.

The sole blemish of music is that its creator is humanity.
And humanity’s inspiration for its music is nature - which precedes it. It’s not surprising that while there are thousands of genres and styles of music around the world, it’s based on the same seven surs. Because certain frequencies and their specific sequencings resonate with our minds and bodies. Good music brings them back in harmony with nature.

And humanity’s inspiration for its music is nature - which precedes it. It’s not surprising that while there are thousands of genres and styles of music around the world, it’s based on the same seven surs. For specific frequencies and their specific sequencings resonate with our minds and bodies. Good music brings them back in harmony with nature.

On a fundamental level, all sound ( and everything) is "natural" but it is my belief that music is a reflection of the complexities of the human mind. I personally do not correlate any music I hear with nature, in any shape or form. The music speaks to me in an abstract emotional way, one that is primordial, psychologically speaking. In that sense it does appeal to our inherent natural nature but it's present creation is not as basic as the emotions it tugs on yet is made for that purpose to serve it's real agenda, which is to make money.

Unrelated to the topic but I felt I should post since we are talking about music,musicians and their history. The following is only my view but it is a strong one. It is not directed at anyone.

And it lets us glimpse the divine, the sublime, does not it?

Back