Two speakers to same speaker out of the Amp?

BLASTO

Hi Guys, I have a 2.0 setup with great bass and not enough details.

Is it possible acquire a set of bookshelfs with good enough details and ok bass to connect to the SAME speaker out of the amp so that the bookshelves take care of the details and bass is taken care of by existing speakers? This I think is more economical than selling off the existing speakers and to get a speaker which is good in both bass and details.

Before getting into the specifics, Iam trying to find out if the idea is even valid and wheter it is ok to pursue in this angle.

What are the issues I would face in such a setup if any? Sorry if the question is dumb.

the mid and hf from two speakers would not gel and muddy up the sound.
Connecting 2 speakers in parallel would mean more current drawn, and impedance halving. (remember formula for adding resistance in parallel?)

Firstly your amp may not have enough juice to drive two set of speakers at the same time. Moreover, this is not a good idea and in all probability, the SQ will be affected adversely.

Post the full details of your setup for the audio gurus to suggest you a solution.

Hi

Is it possible acquire a set of bookshelfs with good enough details and ok bass to connect to the SAME speaker out of the amp so that the bookshelves take care of the details and bass is taken care of by existing speakers? This I think is more economical than selling off the existing speakers and to get a speaker which is good in both bass and details.

Before getting into the specifics, Iam trying to find out if the idea is even valid and wheter it is ok to pursue in this angle.

What are the issues I would face in such a setup if any? Sorry if the question is dumb.

Dont do it unless you want to damage your amplifier, better buy a good pair of speakers after auditioning with same kind of amplifier which you have.

Regards

Sub

dont do it.
While the amp will see a lower impedance , need to supply more power and hence may get ruined, even sonically it makes no sense as both speakers overlap in all frequencies except for the bottom 4-5 hz and that makes absolutely no sense as it would be like 2 people speaking at the same time.

you have no option but to get a better speaker or a speaker + sub combo.

Options as I see it are:
  1. As Spiro said, if you have A+B on your amp, connect one pair to Zone A and the other to Zone B (con: as Anm said, there'll almost certainly be unpleasant and uncontrollable SQ and phase issues)
  2. If you don't have A+B, get a pair of powered speakers and run them off the Line-outs on your amp (con: same as above)
  3. Introduce an active crossover so you can allocate frequency ranges (con: impossible without 2 more power amp channels)

I think your only (audiophile) option is speaker shopping, man. ;)

(Edit: aw, I just saw that Arj's already said it all! Anyway, best of luck Blasto...)

Last edited:
hi,
Can use two pair of speakers with you amp if your amp can handle 4 ohms or you may damage the amp. Secondly it is a vise decision to sell your old pair of speakers and go for a decent pair to suffice your ears.

homi

with a good pair of bookshelves you'll get both bass and detail. whats your current set up and your budget

Ok.
I have an idea. Assuming you are not using a crossover externally, get a 3-way cross over and feed the upper two frequencies to the new bookshelf u are planning to get. The existing speaker can be used for lower frequencies. Ihave also assumed that you do not want to part with your present sound makers. And please don't meddle with speaker impedances if u aren't sure. Ampli will get fried.
Sanjay.

Is it possible acquire a set of bookshelfs with good enough details and ok bass to connect to the SAME speaker out of the amp
can be done safely BUT depends upon the impedance of the current speakers. Also depends upon how you plan on wiring both sets of speakers. See this.

so that the bookshelves take care of the details and bass is taken care of by existing speakers? This I think is more economical than selling off the existing speakers and to get a speaker which is good in both bass and details.
The same signal will go to both the speakers so how will you ensure than ONLY the lower frequencies will go to the existing speakers? The way you intend using it would result it in a "comb effect". Google is your friend.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back